Exchange on the Hero, first impressions

Search This thread

herman3101

May 16, 2005
Milton Keynes
www.lickmynuts.co.uk
I've noticed that not has much been said on the Hero's exchange support in any of the reviews or user reports so I thought I'd let people know what it's like as, for me, this is a must have feature. I should say that I have not had an android phone before and so I have had no experience with Nitrodesk's exchange solution so I can't compare.

Well, I entered my exchange details during initial set-up and after my first attempt was unsuccessful (SSL needed and is off by default) it than worked. Asked me if I wanted to sync Mail, Calender and Contacts all of which I selected. After the rest of the setup had finished the phone told me I had a new e-mail arrive so I could tell it was working straight away.

Mail is fantastic. Downloads everything fine, has at least as many options as WM for choosing which messages to download. E-mails look great on the display and html e-mails show up fine.

Contacts are great, they all appear straight away in the people and the phone application. All the Facebook and Flikr integration works perfectly. Only niggle is that you can't group contacts by company which is something I used to do on WM.

Calender seems to work fine. Appointments showed up ok, including appointments sent by e-mail.

All in all, the exchange sync is way better than expected and in some ways better than WM. The integration seems very deep and integral to the OS rather than a bolt on feature.

gingepaul79

Mar 14, 2008
manchester
All was fine for me, but as soon as I've allowed it to connect my contacts to FB contacts, sync fails for conacts with a 'client/server conversion error' message.
I'm using exchange 2003, mail and calendar are syncing fine, and I too would love tasks to be added, along with a fix for contacts and I'm a happy hero user :)

gingepaul79

Mar 14, 2008
manchester
not tried to sync with outlook yet, whats the best app for that?

I would settle for an outlook connector that I could just set to sync contacts and tasks, as these two arent really changing so frequently I wouldnt mind having to 'plug in' to sync these.

herman3101

May 16, 2005
Milton Keynes
www.lickmynuts.co.uk
I just use exchange so can't comment on outlook sync. Facebook linking worked fine for me but I also have exchange 2007 so can only assume it's a problem there. Not sure if the exchange functionality is all implemented by HTC or whether they've used part of Nitrodesk's Touchdown but I saw on the Nitrodesk website that they don't support exchange 2003 yet.

supadupahands

Jul 20, 2009
Brighton
www.google.co.uk
not tried to sync with outlook yet, whats the best app for that?

I would settle for an outlook connector that I could just set to sync contacts and tasks, as these two arent really changing so frequently I wouldnt mind having to 'plug in' to sync these.

The only app is HTC sync which is included along with the hero's manual on the sd card supplied with your phonbe, word of warning i just installed htc sync on my vista pc and it caused windows explorer to continuously crash until i uninstalled it, not impressed

gingepaul79

Mar 14, 2008
manchester
Going to try the long way round for now - sync outlook contacts to my google account and keep the google contacts synced to my phone - would I end up with a duplicate of everyone then though?

cbailey

Nov 22, 2007
Going to try the long way round for now - sync outlook contacts to my google account and keep the google contacts synced to my phone - would I end up with a duplicate of everyone then though?

I, like you (not I like you!), have synced up this way. I too cannot get HTC sync to work. I am sure Orange have bundled the wrong version.

So, I export Outlook to a file, then import contact file to google cal, then sync gcalendar to hero. Job done.

No duplicates, google calendar seems intelligent enough to recognise the dups

barryallott

Jul 11, 2009
I would like to share my experience

Booted up.... would you like to set up exchange?

HELL YES!!!!

enter the details..... (internet accessible exchange server)

<entered>

What you wanna sync my boy?

EVERY GOD DAMN THING

oooooook here we go.......

<done.>

Sweet!

EnderWiggen

Jun 27, 2007
Thinking about an Adriod as my next phone, since I think WM is really falling behind everyone else! I use it mostly for work so a couple of questions if you don't mind....

No tasks syncing so far?

How does the calander work, are the views easy to see, day and week stuff?
Meeting requests work?

Can you flag email messages? This is a must for me and I hate that WM 6.5 can't even do it!

How do you find the keyboard replying to emails?

Can you open Word, Excel, PDF files?

Any other features it has for work that WM doesn't?

Thanks

Last edited:

stevep999

Aug 1, 2008
Exchange

I'm having probs with exchange.

It will only sync my main inbox, not any of the subfolders I have, and will only sync via mobile network - fails on wifi ? ?

Then again can't get ANY web stuff on wifi ? ?

Dayzee

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Word and excel fully creatable and editable with Docs to Go, and Open Office I think does let you read different docs though not sure which. Best PDF Reader seems to be RepliGo Reader which is good for books as well.

I'm only just getting to grips with Google Calendar but seems to have a great deal of flexibility for appts and stuff.

Widgets really just getting going, so I'm not sure of all those available...

Daisy - Magic owner, so Hero may be slightly different xx

sachvshah

Aug 19, 2009
I've noticed that not has much been said on the Hero's exchange support in any of the reviews or user reports so I thought I'd let people know what it's like as, for me, this is a must have feature. I should say that I have not had an android phone before and so I have had no experience with Nitrodesk's exchange solution so I can't compare.

Well, I entered my exchange details during initial set-up and after my first attempt was unsuccessful (SSL needed and is off by default) it than worked. Asked me if I wanted to sync Mail, Calender and Contacts all of which I selected. After the rest of the setup had finished the phone told me I had a new e-mail arrive so I could tell it was working straight away.

Mail is fantastic. Downloads everything fine, has at least as many options as WM for choosing which messages to download. E-mails look great on the display and html e-mails show up fine.

Contacts are great, they all appear straight away in the people and the phone application. All the Facebook and Flikr integration works perfectly. Only niggle is that you can't group contacts by company which is something I used to do on WM.

Calender seems to work fine. Appointments showed up ok, including appointments sent by e-mail.

All in all, the exchange sync is way better than expected and in some ways better than WM. The integration seems very deep and integral to the OS rather than a bolt on feature.

I have reiceved my G2 touch and havn't been able to setup exchange sync over the air. It goes past first option i.e. to show me what i want to synch mail, contacts, calendar and than when I click on finish setup it fails with message unable to create account try later! Any idea what is going wrong. How can I fix it?

Sachin

MrHarm

Nov 27, 2007
Oslo
Anyone have any experience with exchange sync where the server requires you to set a password/pincode for the phone?

Heard some people saying that this was not supported by the Hero. A pity if true, as I need this to work in order to be able to use the Hero as a work phone (in other words, if I am to buy a Hero).

ritdaw

Jan 17, 2007
The out of the box exchange support is really very good. It just needs the ability to authenticate via password or client certificate.

I much prefer it to WM, but only because its completely finger friendly.

Yes you can flag emails, and they show up under the flagged emails tab at the bottom.

bubano

Feb 25, 2008
Towerhill
I really really hope the update within 10 days or September will affect this thing? Need to be able to sync more than one folder at the time.

frymaster.127

Aug 3, 2009
I, like you (not I like you!), have synced up this way. I too cannot get HTC sync to work. I am sure Orange have bundled the wrong version.

works for me on vista 64 with orange branded HTC Touch. I believe there is an update on the HTC website, not sure if that enables win7 support

I certainly didn't notice explorer crashing after I installed it, chances are it's another explorer extension interfering (either a media codec that is failing at showing thumbnails, or a right-click extension or similar)