[Q] RUU stuck at "checking headers"

Search This thread

XDA Dev

Jul 12, 2011
I have an HTC One M7 (European unlocked version). I'm trying to restore it to the stock software, but I don't care about the "locked/re-locked" status, so I didn't bother getting s-off. Right now I have the stock odexed ROM that I got from here and TWRP 2.6.3.3.

This is the RUU file I'm trying to use. (The "stock ROM" I have now is version 4.19.401.8 instead, and has support for OTA updates, but it says my phone is up to date even if it's not.)

I know that to get a RUU working on an HTC phone, you have to re-lock the bootloader. So I did. This is my fastboot info now:
Code:
C:\Windows\system32>fastboot getvar all
< waiting for device >
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.54.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.17.3250.14
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: CENSORED
(bootloader) imei: CENSORED
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__102
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4302mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-d959c75800
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.059s

At the top the screen says "tampered" and "relocked."

So, still being on fastboot and aware that all the data in the phone would be gone, I ran the RUU file on my windows pc. It started up and I went through the setup. It rebooted my phone to a black screen with a gray htc logo and started the process.

However, I've noticed it's been at 5% and saying "checking headers" for a bit too long now. I waited an hour and it was still stuck. I held down the power button on my phone until it rebooted. It still booted up and worked fine, nothing was deleted. Tried again, same thing. I'm sure I'm using the right RUU file, and the MD5 checks fine. I remember doing this on an htc one v, I was in the same exact situation and everything went through. Why doesn't it work with my m7?

Now my bootloader is locked and if I re-unlock it, it will delete all my stuff. I can still use the phone fine, but I want stock rom, recovery and everything, so I can also get the official sense 6 update. I could do s-off if I really have to, if that's what it takes to get the RUU working. My phone's still rooted, but I don't think the firewater or whatever utility to get s-off works with a locked bootloader. What I'd like to do is just get the RUU working, but it's not. Have I screwed up? Do I re-unlock the bootloader and have to resort to custom roms on this phone? Please help. If I didn't provide enough info, tell me.

SaHiLzZ

Jan 19, 2011
I have an HTC One M7 (European unlocked version). I'm trying to restore it to the stock software, but I don't care about the "locked/re-locked" status, so I didn't bother getting s-off. Right now I have the stock odexed ROM that I got from here and TWRP 2.6.3.3.

This is the RUU file I'm trying to use. (The "stock ROM" I have now is version 4.19.401.8 instead, and has support for OTA updates, but it says my phone is up to date even if it's not.)

I know that to get a RUU working on an HTC phone, you have to re-lock the bootloader. So I did. This is my fastboot info now:
Code:
C:\Windows\system32>fastboot getvar all
< waiting for device >
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.54.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.17.3250.14
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: CENSORED
(bootloader) imei: CENSORED
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__102
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4302mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-d959c75800
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.059s

At the top the screen says "tampered" and "relocked."

So, still being on fastboot and aware that all the data in the phone would be gone, I ran the RUU file on my windows pc. It started up and I went through the setup. It rebooted my phone to a black screen with a gray htc logo and started the process.

However, I've noticed it's been at 5% and saying "checking headers" for a bit too long now. I waited an hour and it was still stuck. I held down the power button on my phone until it rebooted. It still booted up and worked fine, nothing was deleted. Tried again, same thing. I'm sure I'm using the right RUU file, and the MD5 checks fine. I remember doing this on an htc one v, I was in the same exact situation and everything went through. Why doesn't it work with my m7?

Now my bootloader is locked and if I re-unlock it, it will delete all my stuff. I can still use the phone fine, but I want stock rom, recovery and everything, so I can also get the official sense 6 update. I could do s-off if I really have to, if that's what it takes to get the RUU working. My phone's still rooted, but I don't think the firewater or whatever utility to get s-off works with a locked bootloader. What I'd like to do is just get the RUU working, but it's not. Have I screwed up? Do I re-unlock the bootloader and have to resort to custom roms on this phone? Please help. If I didn't provide enough info, tell me.

Great information! Your post is a model of HOW a question should be posted!

Anyway, if 4.x.401.x RUU is NOT working, try another computer, if it is still not working, then yes, S-OFF, flash 1.44 HBOOT, and run the http://www.htc1guru.com/dld/ruu-zip...1-27_10-31-1131-05_release_310878_signed-zip/ RUU. This will take you back a few months ago, but you will be able to OTA all the way upto Sense 6!

XDA Dev

Jul 12, 2011
Great information! Your post is a model of HOW a question should be posted!

Anyway, if 4.x.401.x RUU is NOT working, try another computer, if it is still not working, then yes, S-OFF, flash 1.44 HBOOT, and run the http://www.htc1guru.com/dld/ruu-zip...1-27_10-31-1131-05_release_310878_signed-zip/ RUU. This will take you back a few months ago, but you will be able to OTA all the way upto Sense 6!

Haha, thanks, I guess nearly 3 years of lurking on these forums taught me something about posting.

I was using a Windows Vista SP2 PC to try this. I've just tried it on my Mac running Windows 7 SP1 with bootcamp, the RUU file (which still checks out with the correct MD5 hash) starts the installshield wizard normally, but as soon as I accept the terms and conditions, the program closes and nothing opens again. I checked on task manager, the process closes shortly after accepting the terms. I tried restarting and looking up for a solution but I couldn't find anything that worked.

Is Vista really the only reason it's stuck at checking headers? I know Vista is rather despised by a lot of people, but by 2014 it did get better. I'd rather use that machine because on my Mac running Windows 7 the RUU could not start up because I've made the Windows partition too small. (It has around 3gb free now whereas the vista machine has more than 150).

XDA Dev

Jul 12, 2011
Sorry for the double post, but it's probably my last one on this thread.

Even if my boot loader was re-locked, I tried running the firewater program to get s-off, and it worked. (As a bonus it re-unlocked my boot loader without wiping the phone, but I re-locked it again to get the ruu working).

Then I tried downgrading to hboot 1.44, but for some reason it kept giving an error like "failed: remote 42 custom id check fail." I decided to try the sense 5.0 ruu anyway (on my vista PC), and it worked! The phone now says "relocked" but tampered is gone of course, and I have hboot 1.44, android 4.1 and htc sense 5.0, but still s-off.

The first update popped up (and it's not android 4.4 with sense 6, it's something in between) so I'm going to update until no more updates are available. Then I'm going to re-unlock the boot loader because I want to root my phone, and then set up all my stuff. When a new update comes out, I can just flash the original recovery, apply the update and then re-flash twrp to root again.

Thank you for the suggestion to install the older ruu. I'm still stumped on why the newer one didn't work (it would have caused much less hassle), but whatever. At least my phone is much cleaner now. It feels good to have it like this again, I'm not against custom roms but I like the stock software too.

I'm using my iPhone to write this, but trust me, my htc is in full working order now.

Until next problem I can't solve myself :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SaHiLzZ

XDA Dev

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks for updating back. Don't S-ON.

Yeah, I'm not going to. I've updated to android 4.3 now and I'm still downloading updates--it updated hboot to 1.55 but I still have s-off, so I believe it stays s-off if I don't run the command to (I guess irreversibly) go back to s-on, which I don't even know. (I didn't do s-off before because I didn't care about the extra privileges and was afraid of bricking my phone, but now that I have it I don't mind so I'm keeping it).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry for the double post, but it's probably my last one on this thread.

Even if my boot loader was re-locked, I tried running the firewater program to get s-off, and it worked. (As a bonus it re-unlocked my boot loader without wiping the phone, but I re-locked it again to get the ruu working).

Then I tried downgrading to hboot 1.44, but for some reason it kept giving an error like "failed: remote 42 custom id check fail." I decided to try the sense 5.0 ruu anyway (on my vista PC), and it worked! The phone now says "relocked" but tampered is gone of course, and I have hboot 1.44, android 4.1 and htc sense 5.0, but still s-off.

The first update popped up (and it's not android 4.4 with sense 6, it's something in between) so I'm going to update until no more updates are available. Then I'm going to re-unlock the boot loader because I want to root my phone, and then set up all my stuff. When a new update comes out, I can just flash the original recovery, apply the update and then re-flash twrp to root again.

Thank you for the suggestion to install the older ruu. I'm still stumped on why the newer one didn't work (it would have caused much less hassle), but whatever. At least my phone is much cleaner now. It feels good to have it like this again, I'm not against custom roms but I like the stock software too.

I'm using my iPhone to write this, but trust me, my htc is in full working order now.

Until next problem I can't solve myself :)