Ask noob(newb) questions here.

Search This thread

asawi

Oct 1, 2012
Let me think... on my 16 GB (that I don't have any more) the repart.img gave me 8 GB for my own files, OS needs about 3 GB, so that would leave 5 GB for apps (not just BN stuff).

Reactions: remmian

remmian

May 26, 2013
Let me think... on my 16 GB (that I don't have any more) the repart.img gave me 8 GB for my own files, OS needs about 3 GB, so that would leave 5 GB for apps (not just BN stuff).

Yup. You got that right.... but now I am in hot water because I did not run the firmware upgrade again in CM10 to flash back the old touchscreen driver so that when it reverted back to factory [via the repart] I would be able to get around.... will use CWM vs TWRP (or whatever that second one is) in hopes I can just get through rooting and flashing without having to use the TS at all...

remmian

May 26, 2013
Mount EMMC for SDCard Trick?

OK, I know this is no biggie to the experienced phandroids here, but being a newbie I am so happy I got this working again. CM10 installed to EMMc (1231 build). Took a few tries and a run to WalMart for a USB micro-reader as the little card adapters were not playing nice at all, but it's all good now. Re-partitioned and everything.

Now I just want to run that trick that re-directs everything including apps to use the internal memory vs an SDCard. I read this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2068595&page=3 where you darthwissen says [post #25]:

Originally Posted by darthwissen: Ohh, by the way, the method I used is the persist.sys.vold.switchexternal=1. It works like a charm,

And looks like asawi has been using that with CM10 with success. But I have no idea how to do this.... or where it goes. Is this a terminal command or something edited into a file, and if so, where?

The other method appears to be the following lines written to /system/etc/vold.fstab - (see post #26 same thread):

## emmc
dev_mount emmc /storage/sdcard1 10 /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/mmc_host/mmc0

## sdcard
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc1

Can someone tell me exactly what this does? I assume CM10 will still recognize an SDCard when one IS installed, but I am hoping what this does is sort of act as a "call interrupt" for programs demanding an SDCard to write to, so they will be tricked into using the internal memory as the "SDCard".

And will the apps write to the B&N partition, or the partition for sideloading? I can't figure out which is sdcard1 / sdcard0.

Thanks again!

remmian

May 26, 2013
New day, same problem...

Since repartitioning wiped everything I loaded a new ROM afterward - the RC from here: http://get.cm/?device=acclaim and I really like it. CM10.1.0 5-18-13.

But I still have a 16GB Nook and want to use the internal storage and not be prompted for an SDCard when I go to download or use apps.

I figured out how to edit the above files (for newbies, just use the built in file manager but go into the settings inside the opened app and change the permissions to give it root access). I first tried just adding the persist.sys.vold.switchexternal=1 line to system/build.prop ... that caused errors when navigating around the home screen.

I next tried the other suggestion.... editing the two lines as shown above in system/etc/vold.fstab ... and like the OP said in the thread I referenced several times above, this caused android media to crash. I also tried doing both. Same problem. So I tried each by itself, then both together.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

remmian

May 26, 2013
User Partition is called .... what?

If emmc is the same as sdcard0... and that's the part B&N reserved for the OS/system files....

... and sdcard1 refers to an external SDcard...

...then what is USBdisk0 since it would not seem to refer to the user partition....

... and what DOES refer to the user partition?

All I want to do is tell free apps I install to use the user partition instead of looking for an SD card. I am trying to figure this out by reading but I can't even find what the user partition is called...

asawi

Oct 1, 2012
Any other suggestions?
I haven't used that particular ROM but in the ones I have used I just change one line in build.prop. No adding, no messing with anything else.The line I change is the switchexternal. I change a 0 to 1 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk 2

remmian

May 26, 2013
I haven't used that particular ROM but in the ones I have used I just change one line in build.prop. No adding, no messing with anything else.The line I change is the switchexternal. I change a 0 to 1 if I remember correctly.

This line (persist.sys.vold.switchexternal=1) was not present in system/build.prop when I was running the ROM you are... I had to add it, and it didn't work. I switched ROMs since then, but you're running the 10.0 12-31-12 build of Succulent, right?

I just can't understand why the developers ever switched away from using internal memory like CM7 did! For builds made for the Nook Tablet with its 8GB/16GB internal storage... no one wants to pay for 16GB of memory then have to use micros... that's just so nonsensical. It can't be that hard to make a switch in Settings for a developer that knows this OS in and out... this is a fatal flaw imo and I hope hope hope they include a switch or hack for the final 10.1 version.

Carydc

Aug 14, 2011
Flower Mound
Good evening folks,

I have a nook color I have been trying multiple ways to allow me to load android cm 10.1 to no avail the hardware reset doesn't seem to work also trying to load/boot via SD card and all the many different fashions that are available on the site are not working I can get it to restart and it does come up to where it makes a statement touch the future of reading.

Am no longer able to get beyond the touch the future of reading screen.

Discouraged, and tired. Been trying for the last two days to find a way to get to recovery or just factory reset.

Yesterday was the last flicker of anything like what it's on the site but it referred to a network driver the it's only referenced on Linux not Windows.

I am on Windows 7 64 bit ultimate. Patched current.

I believe my stock Rom ids patched to 1.0.1 release.

This was running sd card for a very long time. Now no longer allows boot via sd. No matter the image I try, no dice. 3.0, 2.2, 2.1.

Tried to get adb access. No dice. Refuses to connect.

At wits end, looking for ideas.

The unit is physically in good shape.
Gate to retire a unit that looks like it should run for years to come.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Good evening folks,

I have a nook color I have been trying multiple ways to allow me to load android cm 10.1 to no avail the hardware reset doesn't seem to work also trying to load/boot via SD card and all the many different fashions that are available on the site are not working I can get it to restart and it does come up to where it makes a statement touch the future of reading.
This forum is for the Nook Tablet, ask your question on the NC forums here http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=860.

Reactions: Carydc

johnmjohnson

Jan 17, 2013
Can anyone share a link on how and where to find the latest cwm for the nook?

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Tapatalk HD

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
Newb to Nook tablet, still trying to sort some things out. I've decided I want to flash recovery to emmc. I already have CM 10.1 loaded to emmc.

1) Is it as simple as flashing from the sd card or do I have to flash it from internal storage or both?

2) After flashing recovery to emmc do I have to reinstall the ROM?

3) Do I have to wipe anything before flashing?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Newb to Nook tablet, still trying to sort some things out. I've decided I want to flash recovery to emmc. I already have CM 10.1 loaded to emmc.

1) Is it as simple as flashing from the sd card or do I have to flash it from internal storage or both?
You can flash it from SD, just pick a flashable zip version from Succulent's recovery repo http://goo.im/devs/succulent/acclaim/recovery.
2) After flashing recovery to emmc do I have to reinstall the ROM?
No.
3) Do I have to wipe anything before flashing?
No.

Reactions: lrs421

haim_gds

Feb 22, 2014
Another newbe question

First, I'd like to apologize if those questions were already asked but I couldn't find an answer in the search (probably I'm not familiar with the right terminology)

I'd just bought a NOOK HD+ 32GB and I think about (I'm not entirely sure yet) installing Android CM OS instead of B&N OS. basically, I'd like to try the Android before setting it as a replacement for the original B&N OS. there for I'd like to run the Android OS from the SD card before I'll root the Nook. looking at the web found 3 companies selling Android firmware for rooting and Android OS running from SD card (n2acards, rootmynookhd and another one) but again, as a newbe I'm not really sure how to start and I'm trying to test it in the safest way.

-Is there a bootable "acclaim" version for running from SD card? I've read the "Building a CM10.1 (JB 4.2.x) SD card for Nook Tablet" but I didn't understand if it bootable and if it change something in the original B&N OS.
-Is there a way for backuping/restoring the original B&N OS before starting without modifications?

Thanks in advance for any help.

champ1919

Nov 5, 2010
Twin Cities, Minnesota
I've got my nook tablet booting off of sdcard (without connecting to pc/wall).
Is installing a Rom on emmc as simple as booting into cwm and installing a zip? I've read that I first need to change cwm versions then do for 4.4. Just afraid of sending hours trying to fix a boo boo.

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK. Lots of newer users here so let me touch on a few things that should well translate from the NC.

1. uSD classes: seems to matter little when using apps. Seldom are the speeds accurate anyway. Use reputable brands. Sandisc one of the best.
    2. Never format uSD in your device. Always on your computer. Don't use Windows format. Often creates problems. Use this. Free and never failed me.
    3. Root is optional for the NT right now. Certain apps require root access BUT untill a workable recovery scheme is devised I would recommend sideloading. Always unmount before removing. Yes, OTA will work and GApps will update.
    4. I've not seen yet a reliable method of re-partitioning the eMMC for the NT (might have missed it if so) therefore sideloading would appear a workable plan for now.
    5. If the hurdles can be overcome (and it is early yet, people) to achieve root + recovery many options will open but the NT appears pretty darn good as it is. Patience is a plus.
    6. Search function and Google search is your friend. Xda is phenomenal but there are many other forums and many senior members post/read to several.
    7. Research what you want to do before doing it. God knows I learned that the hard way myself! :)
    8. An app called App2SD can help you moved apps that will function from the uSD and clear space on the eMMC.
    9. Did I mention read and research?
    10. One last thing...it's always good form to click "thanks" when assistance is lent.

The senior people on here once were where you are now and are happy to lend a hand. Read the Xda rules and all should be well.
    I thought i would add this (perhaps) little known tidbit...
    Swiping the notification bar from right to left will serve as a back button when one does not appear to be available.

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk
    Here's a tip for people new to Android. There are some apps that says "aren't compatible" with the NT (like Voice search) in the Market, and won't let you install. And there are ones you can't even find in the Market for the NT, like TuneIn radio or Fancy widget.

If you have an Android phone or another Android device, you can install those from the market on the phone. And use ES file explorer or Titanium backup to grab the apk file on the phone and sideload to the NT.

To do it with with ES file explorer. Just hit the menu key, select "App manager" and long press on the app and select backup. The apk file will be in sdcard/backups/apps folder. And get that file over by either dropbox, wifi, or usb for sideloading on the NT.

This is better than downloading from unknown sources.
    I've noticed there's alot of new people here. I figured I'd give you guys a place to ask questions that might be common knowledge to the more experienced people here.

So ask away.....
    i'm also a new guy. but i can help answer some simple questions to reduce senior guys' work load. if not correct, please point out.

to tritrung's questions, here's my answer:
    default 1G data's usage just like TF card, you can store your files on TF card and the 1G internal storage, and it will be 2 folders, not one.
    12G storage is used to install apks, which almost no limit for applications.

even if you don't rooted, you can install most programs, but if you want use google market, you need to root the device