[APP]BGSwitchPPC - Change Today Screen Background Image Automatically

Search This thread

Graymi

Jun 15, 2009
This is my first ever smartphone app, but it's based on a full-fledged windows app of mine that I've been using for a few years now.

Basically, I like to change my desktop background alot, each time I log on in fact. So I wanted something similar for my phone. Also, I wanted a way of having an appropriately dimensioned image for when the keypad was open/closed as I own an Xperia X1.

So I've created this little app for my X1.

What it does is choose a random image from a preset directory (different directory for portrait/landscape images - to allow for correct dimensions - can be the same dir if you're not fussed) and sticks it in as your Today Screen background image.

Current Features
Random Background Selection
Supports any resolution device
Different Image For Portrait/Landscape mode
Supports Different Directories To Select Portrait/Landscape Iamge From
Preview Backgrounds In The Config Util
Scheduling Support
Timer Support
New Background After Hard Reset Option

Current Wishlist:
Automatic image resizing/scaling etc
New Background After Suspend

Current Known Bugs
Hard Reset update seems buggy - but could just be my phone taking a while to load up! You might get a very scary error, but your phone won't be borked! I promise.

View attachment BGSwitchPPC.zip V0.5

Installation notes:
Copy the .exe file to wherever you want it on your WinMo device
Run the exe

Please download it and have a play. Any/All feedbacks, criticism and requests more than welcome. Let me know if you like it too :)

Currently tested on windows mobile 6, 6.1 and 6.5 via my X1 and the microsoft device emulators.

Last edited:

deio

Oct 28, 2009
After you close the program it remains resident in memory? It still continues to change wallpaper, cause it would have been nice if... It's a great program, and waiting for new features like automatically changing wallpaper after a custom time (15-30 minutes for example).

Graymi

Jun 15, 2009
The program doesn't remain in memory. It sets itself to run as a notified program at the appropriate time. Much the same as a windows scheduled task.

I should be able to make it run every xx minutes as opposed to at a set scheduled time though. So watch this space!

deio

Oct 28, 2009
Ok, thanks. And there's a little thing that worries me, on my HD2, it hangs the OS for some time after I press to change wallpaper (I'm on 1.66 stock ROM), then it lets go and OS works normally after a while. Maybe others encountered the same? Also, will it change the lock screen too?

Last edited:

Graymi

Jun 15, 2009
how long are we talking about the OS hanging here?

it takes a few seconds, maybe 5 to 10 on my phone to do the file copies when you're setting an image. I get the spinning timer, and don't believe i've tried to access the start menu, although I doubt it'd work. I imagine it would lock for longer if you're using bigger pictues, all mine are 800x640 or 640x800 to start with.

and it should change the lock screen, providing of course you're using the standard winmo one.

dagosjt

Dec 12, 2006
Roma
Something missing for all the other similar programs:

Choose DESTINATION.

I mean i could have a wallpaper for WAD2, one for S2U2, one for PowerRadio, one for G-Alarm etc. etc. etc.. and each of them have it on different paths.

Your program would need a way to choose multiple pairs like:
SOURCE PATHS -> DESTINATION FILE

I hope my request it's clear :)

Thank you very much

deio

Oct 28, 2009
I'm using stock ROM (as stated above) and it hangs the OS for some time, need to do more testing how long. Could the proggie be updated to change pictures at regular intervals, in the near future?

Well, the app is hanging the OS, it won't quit or respond to taps, not even to OK or anything else just right after I choose the wallpaper and set it, then I have to keep pressing keys until the phone responds and end program with X on taskbar. The wallpapers are 480x800 normal size.

Last edited:

Graymi

Jun 15, 2009
deio:

What phone / version of WinMo are you using? I've only got my X1 for testing and the Windows Mobile SDK Emulators. Therefore only tested on WinMo 6.1 and 6.5.

I'll have the timer based update wrote today I reckon, just need to get some coding done between watching old lost eps :)

dagosjt:

to clarify: What you want is a way of changing wallpapers other than the windows today screen one. And to do this you want the ability for the program to replace a custom image file you specify when its run?

dagosjt

Dec 12, 2006
Roma
deio:

What phone / version of WinMo are you using? I've only got my X1 for testing and the Windows Mobile SDK Emulators. Therefore only tested on WinMo 6.1 and 6.5.

I'll have the timer based update wrote today I reckon, just need to get some coding done between watching old lost eps :)

dagosjt:

to clarify: What you want is a way of changing wallpapers other than the windows today screen one. And to do this you want the ability for the program to replace a custom image file you specify when its run?

Absolutely yes! just to make an example, there are apps like G-Alarm or PowerRadio (and many others) supporting custom backgrounds. So I ask for something like:

/My Wallpapers/ -> /PowerRadio/backPowerRadio.jpg
/My Wallpapers/ -> /G-Alarml/backGAlarm.jpg

even if /My Wallpapers is the same directory, I would like the chance to choose different images (so the randomizing would happen two times, one for PowerRadio, one for GAlarm). Instead for people who like having everything the same, you could make only one randomizing for the same source, and copying that chosen image to all destination.

Hope I was clear, thanks a lot for your attention!

Graymi

Jun 15, 2009
cool, i should be able to do that.

As a word of warning, I can't garauntee that changing the original file will make these progs auto update. it might be they cache the bg somehow (an issue that caused me a few probs with the tday bg)

But changing additional BGs should be doable. Will take me a while to add an extra config screen, but as always, watch this space!

dagosjt

Dec 12, 2006
Roma
Well, no one ask you to make other programs update their background :D
I'm asking this features because I've already a mortscript doing everything I'm asking. However it has two "big" shortcomings:

- It's quite difficult to configure for the other people
- I've implemented the scheduled update (let's say every 30 minutes) however often something block the update and I've to relaunch the script.

Hope your application will be able to make better than my script :)

Graymi

Jun 15, 2009
well, I'm speccing it at the moment, probably take me a week or so to write the actual code (My evenings tend to get tied up doing other stuff). But fingers crossed, should have something by next weekend.

dagosjt

Dec 12, 2006
Roma
Another little request, if you don't mind :)

you could give the option to use your program command line, for example:

BGSwitchPPC -path:1 -next
BGSwitchPPC -path:2 -previous
BGSwitchPPC -path:3 -random

Where path:<id> needs to refer to one of the configured path list, while next, previous, random option let you move around in chosen path file.

This would be handy for somebody wanting to build a slideshow/photoframe inside applications like WAD2 or HS++ or iPhoneToday or similar :)

Thanks again

Jive Turkey

Jun 11, 2007
Perth
Your program crashes on my SE X1 whenever I try to specify the wallpaper directory.
Code:
BGSwitchPPC.exe
IOException

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
at System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames()
at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetDirectories()
at BGSwitchPPC.frmDirPicker.RecurseNodes()
at BGSwitchPPC.frmDirPicker.frmDirPicker_Load()
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad()
at System.Windows.Forms.Form._SetVisibleNotify()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible()
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
at BGSwitchPPC.frmDirPicker.ShowDialog()
at BGSwitchPPC.frmMain.btnPortraitPick_Click()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WnProc()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control._InternalWnProc()
at Microsoft.AGL.Forms.EVL.EnterModalDialog()
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
at BGSwitchPPC.SharedSubs.main()

Antimus

Mar 8, 2007
Can you make it change the lock screen wallpaper too? that would be fantastic :)

Nakkie040

Apr 6, 2009
Eindhoven
Can you make it change the lock screen wallpaper too? that would be fantastic :)

you mean like this:
lock-screen_4.jpg
screen ?

because it does at mine

Antimus

Mar 8, 2007
That's the one, but the lock screen wallpaper is different to the home screen wallpaper.
Does this app change lock screen too?

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
That's the one, but the lock screen wallpaper is different to the home screen wallpaper.
Does this app change lock screen too?
Because you're using HTC Sense. This one only changes the wallpaper on default winmo interface iirc.

google for antworks wallpaper changer.