[Q] Considering Photon Q...for T-mobile?

Search This thread
Okay, so...I've been looking at numerous slider phones, and the Photon Q is the one that's probably the closest to my ideal phone that I've yet seen. I currently have Cricket, but T-Mobile's Value Plans seem to be the best deal for my needs. I know that the Photon Q supports both CDMA and GSM, but can it be unlocked to actually work on T-Mobile's network? It seems T-Mobile requires the 1700 MHz band for their 3G service, but not for their (current) 4G. Would this phone work in 4G areas, at 4G speeds, then?
Also, if I understand correctly, using GSM on the Photon Q isn't as simple as just popping in a SIM card. Apparently, Motorola has opted for a hard-soldered SIM, so if you want to switch to a network that SIM card doesn't support, you have to do some soldering (or get someone else to do so). If this is the case, it's pretty close to a dealbraker for me, though I MIGHT still go for it, if I can definitely find someone who can get it to work with T-Mobile.

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Well, you are correct about the hard-soldered SIM.

See this thread about what the hack entails.

Now, to my knowledge - this hack has only been done OUTSIDE of the US. I would think since you're physically putting your SIM in place of the Sprint-specific SIM, that it would work... but I don't think anyone has actually done it yet.

Just be cautious. You seem to have done your homework.

Cool...checking that thread now. If anyone knows if this is possible to do with T-Mobile USA, or if anyone actually HAS done this, PLEASE let me know! T-Mo does have a phone I'd settle for, if this can't be done, and I'd seriously consider it, since it'd be less risky. But if this can be done reliably and without issues, I'd slightly prefer going this route, even if mostly just for the bigger screen.

And for that matter...since I don't already have service with T-Mobile, and I'd be starting NEW service...is there something about the SIM that's soldered on, that makes it unusable for T-Mobile? Wouldn't there be some information I'd be able to get from the built-in SIM that I could tell them, in order to activate THAT SIM with their service?

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
And for that matter...since I don't already have service with T-Mobile, and I'd be starting NEW service...is there something about the SIM that's soldered on, that makes it unusable for T-Mobile? Wouldn't there be some information I'd be able to get from the built-in SIM that I could tell them, in order to activate THAT SIM with their service?

The build-in SIM is for international roaming....

You would have to put a TMobile SIM in. Make sense?

Yeah...just wasn't sure if it was preprogrammed, and unable to be re-programmed. Anyway, I'm leaning toward the phone that T-Mobile DOES carry, that's almost as good, just not QUITE as big a screen, and just SLIGHTLY lower resolution. But looks to be good enough. (Samsung Galaxy S Relay)

Skrilax_CZ

Dec 20, 2009
Few notes: On Droid 4 (which has normal microSIM card) other US carriers are SIM locked by the modem software (the rest of World works) - so some risk is there too. Additionally as far as I know, T-Mobile US has mostly 3G on 1700 MHz, while Photon Q supports 850 / 1900 / 2100 MHz - so you'll have trouble with 3G. Also LTE is on 1900 MHz which is emplyoed only by Sprint as I read, so no avail there either on T-Mobile. Additionally, it looks like Photon Q has no EDGE, so you'll enjoy nice 2.5G most of the time, unless you are in the 1900 MHz area for 3G.

Last edited:

The Madvillan

Feb 23, 2013
Few notes: On Droid 4 (which has normal microSIM card) other US carriers are SIM locked by the modem software (the rest of World works) - so some risk is there too. Additionally as far as I know, T-Mobile US has mostly 3G on 1700 MHz, while Photon Q supports 850 / 1900 / 2100 MHz - so you'll have trouble with 3G. Also LTE is on 1900 MHz which is emplyoed only by Sprint as I read, so no avail there either on T-Mobile. Additionally, it looks like Photon Q has no EDGE, so you'll enjoy nice 2.5G most of the time, unless you are in the 1900 MHz area for 3G.

Quite the dream crusher. This would have been the perfect phone for me if I were able to just flash it over to T Mobile for service in the US. Humph, guess I'll finally have to go for a fully touch phone (yuck) or just keep the current lame thing I have (Galaxy Indulge on MetroPCS :l ) until I find something remotely better.

PassingThruLife

Jun 6, 2012
Why not try a droid 4,i know there is a way to get that working on gsm carriers.

Im currently using a droid 3 that works on gsm carriers and its pretty good.im running it on att and the only comparable slider on att is the captivate glide.

i would love to be able to use a photon q on att but there does not seem to be an easy way to do it...

huatz84

Jul 10, 2009
Binjai,North Sumatra
Droid 4 has simcard slot for GSM and with some mods,I can use RUIM CDMA. It also has HSDPA and Evdo revB support. Really an all in one phone. but,I heard the GSM won't work on USA. I'm ordering a Photon Q. I hope it's better than my D4. I know I have to mod the hardware to use slot simcard. So,I might pass it and using CDMA only via flashing my own carrier.

The Madvillan

Feb 23, 2013
I tried a friend's droid 4 a while back and remember not liking it. Thinking now though I may be confusing my experience with another device.

From my understanding I thought you could softmod the phone to GSM but I guess I've been reading wrong the entire time. Don't want to plop down money and say screw it and buy the phone only to get it and put it all the effort to have it not work, then have to boggle through the return process.

sad face.

edit: really wish I could remember my old account... I feel like such a n00b with a lame join date

Last edited:

kecksk0enig

Jan 29, 2013
AW: [Q] Considering Photon Q...for T-mobile?

I can't understand why one in US whould go through all that trouble with soldering new sim and frequenzy problems, instead of using the Q with Sprint? Is Sprint network so bad @ US?

If it would be possible to use the Q without soldering in Germany with a german provider i would have changed my contract to this provider. The Q is definetly worth the trouble.

I've had to make the sim mod done by cornolio (Thanks again man for this awsom work!) And now hav one of the best phones in my oppinion here in germany working.

The only disadvantage I can life with is the unusable LTE because of the lack of frequencies in Germany.

Just my 2 cents

Gesendet von meinem XT897

Last edited:

redsrule2500

Dec 10, 2007
Oklahoma
I can't understand why one in US whould go through all that trouble with soldering new sim and frequenzy problems, instead of using the Q with Sprint? Is Sprint network so bad @ US?

If it would be possible to use the Q without soldering in Germany with a german provider i would have changed my contract to this provider. The Q is definetly worth the trouble.

I've had to make the sim mod done by cornolio (Thanks again man for this awsom work!) And now hav one of the best phones in my oppinion here in germany working.

The only disadvantage I can life with is the unusable LTE because of the lack of frequencies in Germany.

Just my 2 cents

I'm considering this option due to AT&T pricing and availability of my current unlimited data plan.

Mordannon

May 2, 2013
South Elgin

That depends on the area. With the whole network vision upgrade in the chicago area and their new endeavor to absorb all of the US cellular customers in the chicago area, it has been a challenge to remain loyal to sprint. Most annoying thing is answering the phone and having the person on the other end not be able to hear you. This has been going on with every 3rd or 4th call i get for two months. I stick with sprint because i have always had good results with their customer service and i use alot of data. No one else offers really unlimited data in this area.

zDisturbed1

Dec 22, 2008

Just my 2 cents

Pricing is a big deal sprint is better than Verizon but thats not saying much. Tmo recently went to an everything unlimited for a flat rate pricing plan and before that there is a smaller lesser known company called simple mobile that basicly sells you tmo service for a flat rate like tmo does now but its less a month. If I could put my simple mobile sim in the photon Q I would be getting unlimited miniutes txt and data at 40 for 3g or 50 for 4g with sprint the cheapest plan with only 450 miniutes is 80 by comparison.

Deadman001

Jul 22, 2013
The photon Q does support hsdpa at 1900mhz which, too my knowledge, tmobile just got set up on the national scale. Could be wrong though

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
I would absolutely love a souped up Photon Q for T-Mobile, not some ratty looking Spec'd up ugly slider.

So for any unlikely Moto Design Employees reading this thread (chances - slim to none) haha, the device of my dreams...

Motorola Photon Q Styled...

- 4.5" 1080p Corning Gorilla Glass 3 Protected Display
- Military 810G Water/Dust Proof Device
- 2,500mAh Lithium-Ion Battery
- Native T-Mobile 4G LTE, HSPA, HSPA+, 3G & Edge Capable Device
- 1.8ghz Quad-Core Processor w/ 3GB of RAM
- 10+MP HD/1080P Camera-Camcorder
- WiFi
- Bluetooth 4.0+ w/ Backwards Compatability
- NFC
- IR Blastster
- Unlock(ed/able) Bootloader
- Android 4.3
- Dual Noise Cancelling Microphones
- MHL Support
- Scratch-proof Bezel
- Carbon Fiber Enforced...

(Something that would blow the S4 & HTC ONE to Shreds!)

I can sure dream though, right? Tell me something, am I the only one feeling this way???

I have the S3, and I bought it for the internals not the look. This device would be awesome, anyone agree?

Last edited:

deedscreen

Nov 4, 2010
Connecticut
Well, the Motorola Droid 5 possibly for Verizon has leaked. In recent, those new Verizon Moto LTE Devices have been able to run on AT&T and T-Mobile's HSPA Networks. Not 4GLTE, but I'll take it. Now for those who aren't up to speed, don't mock me, yes Verizon uses CDMA, but they use GSM for LTE, hence the sim card slots on their devices.

It's supposed to be rugged and have built in Qi-Charging!!!!

droid-5-weiboleak.jpg