[Q] Is it the wrong time to upgrade?

Search This thread

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
OK, So I'm a loyal Nexus user, but I felt comfortable with my Nexus 4 so I decided not to upgrade at first. We're now into March, which means we're less than 12 months away from the Nexus 6, so is now the wrong time upgrade to the Nexus 5? There's been no discounts for the Nexus 5 yet so it's not as if I'd be saving money and with the rumours than the Nexus 6 will use an octa core, that could literally render the Nexus 5 worthless to many.

What do you think?

beaver2233

Feb 19, 2011
Sydney
rumours that the Nexus 6 will use an octa core, that could literally render the Nexus 5 worthless to many.
well that's not true. just because it has more cores doesn't necessarily mean much (+ it's a rumour) - definitely considering how much of a powerhouse the N5 is.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Pain-N-Panic

Mar 24, 2013
Droid
Google Pixel 7 Pro
That's a decision you have to make on your own man. In today's technologically driven world, that new, better, faster, sleeker device is always going to be "just around the corner." For me, the Nexus 5 is the best phone I have ever used. Have you seen the development forums (we have TWO by the way!!!! lol), there's enough ROMS for you to flash and play with for well over a year lol. If you feel you've outgrown the Nexus 4 and want something better, then go ahead and pickup the N5. If you're content with your N4 then I guess go ahead and wait..

Reactions: BassBlaster

Ubichinon

Nov 17, 2012
Yeah, cause when a new phone comes out, your old one just stops working and gets useless :)

To be honost, i dont think any processor in the next 2 years will be much better than the one in the nexus 5. Its already powerful enough as it is.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I'd wait for the 6 personally. Only because its not much of a jump for me, 4 to 5.... same as s3 to s4 or HTC one to one 2...

Not jump enough to be out of pocket

903tex

Mar 22, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Moto G Stylus 5G
Depends on how much you can get for the n4 to me! Just got my nexus 5 and its whole lot better this time around(last one I had had that yellowish tint) I think is it especially if you live in a area that will get you lte speeds

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

surrealjam

Apr 30, 2010
Birmingham
I would wait until either the Nexus 6 or the Nexus 5 is reduced in price. Google obviously reduced the Nexus 4 quite heavily at the end of its life-cycle and I would imagine they will do the same in the not so near future.

G

GuestK0087

I purchased my N5 on Amazon. Brand new, I paid a total of $37.09 USD. I was eligible for my two year upgrade through Sprint. I'm not sure which carrier you have but I would say it's definitely worth checking out. Also check wirefly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
Waiting for a price cut from Google won't make sense in your case since what you care is being up to date. Why wait for a price cut if by then, the N6 will be 2-4 moths away and you will be in the same situation as right now (should I buy the 6 or wait for the 16 cores nexus phone 7:laugh:)
As galaxys said, sell N4 now and get the 5.
Or don't get the 5 at all because the Nexus 4 performs well on 4.4. and wait for the 6.

D

Darth

If you want a phone now, get the n5.

How much faster can any phone really get at this point? The n6 may get bigger benchmarks, but in the real world, where most of us live....how much quicker will it really seem in day to day use? For what you can reasonably do on a cell phone....I think "speed" has been about maxed. All phone companies can do now is work on other things. Battery life, cameras...etc....

I suppose the battery, camera and maybe storage might be slightly better on the N6...but for me, the n5 more than meets my needs for all those.

To each his own tho. :)

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

ej8989

Jul 8, 2012
Manila
Wait for the Nexus 6. The reason I got the nexus 5 was because I came from the Nexus S. It's a 3 generation upgrade for me :D

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Imo the N5 is overall a better device than the N4; better cpu, gpu, speaker and a gorgeous screen. I wouldn`t want to have missed it personaly. We`ll see what the N6 will bring in about 8-9 months ;)

skezza

Sep 29, 2007
Interesting juxtaposition of opinions here, some people saying get the N5 others saying wait for N6. I think I might just go for the N5 and sell this one to my old man, after all, by the time the N6 comes out, the N4 will be two generations behind. I think the biggest thing I miss right now is 4G. I don't get it where I live, but I do get it where I work, well, I could, but I don't because I'm on an N4. Currently, the N4's still sell for up to £170 (16gb of course) depending on condition and age. That's going to drop significantly when the N6 comes out. Mine's a minter, always kept in a case, always had a screen protector, and is only a few months old as I had to return my last one under warranty due to a faulty screen, so he's said he's willing to pay £170. Plus, keeping it in the family means he can still enjoy the warranty protection and I can always sell my mums phone and get a few more quid, as she'll no doubt get my dads S2 (which is still a damn good phone).

From all the speculation, there's very little I can see on the N6 that is actually that attractive. Octa core I get that, but fingerprint unlock? Meh. It's not as though Apple's has set the world alight. What I will say is that from now on, if I see a Nexus device and decide that's a good option, I will buy it, as opposed to wait like I did with the N5.

Thanks everyone :)

y0y0ninja

Oct 25, 2011
same as s3 to s4

Not jump enough to be out of pocket

How is it not a big jump? The s3 had a 1.5ghz dual core cpu and 1gb ram, and the s4 sports a 1.9ghz quad, with 2 ram (not to mention the 108 19th resolution display)

The jump from s3 to s4 was pretty significant if you ask me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
How is it not a big jump? The s3 had a 1.5ghz dual core cpu and 1gb ram, and the s4 sports a 1.9ghz quad, with 2 ram (not to mention the 108 19th resolution display)

The jump from s3 to s4 was pretty significant if you ask me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I just don't see it as enough of a jump to be worth losing money on.

If I am in a contract where I am paying £35 a month for SIM and handset, for 24 months and after 12 months, I want the S4, I have to sell the S3 for half of the cost of the S4, find the other half the cost of the S4 AND still pay the £20 of the £35 a month for the S3 that I no longer own, I don't see the S4 being "worth it". Does it represent that much of an improvement? I don't think so.

It's purely subjective.

Slightly unrelated but it doesn't matter what hardware Samsung put in their devices, they all lag just as much ;)

howard bamber

Jun 4, 2012
Southport
I've just upgraded from a nexus 4 also. The 4 had tons of life but no LTE. I will keep this for two years. With a decent kernel it's one hell of a phone I'm proud to have

Sent by mobile telephone.

D

Darth

I just don't see it as enough of a jump to be worth losing money on.

If I am in a contract where I am paying £35 a month for SIM and handset, for 24 months and after 12 months, I want the S4, I have to sell the S3 for half of the cost of the S4, find the other half the cost of the S4 AND still pay the £20 of the £35 a month for the S3 that I no longer own, I don't see the S4 being "worth it". Does it represent that much of an improvement? I don't think so.

It's purely subjective.

Slightly unrelated but it doesn't matter what hardware Samsung put in their devices, they all lag just as much ;)

Yup ....I'm done with Samsung. Touchwiz is horrible and it takes a lot of work to make them smooth and lag free. I'm doubting roots future on new ones also. No root on a Samsung would be a nightmare. Lol

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's a decision you have to make on your own man. In today's technologically driven world, that new, better, faster, sleeker device is always going to be "just around the corner." For me, the Nexus 5 is the best phone I have ever used. Have you seen the development forums (we have TWO by the way!!!! lol), there's enough ROMS for you to flash and play with for well over a year lol. If you feel you've outgrown the Nexus 4 and want something better, then go ahead and pickup the N5. If you're content with your N4 then I guess go ahead and wait..