[Q] Has anyone bought a replacement screen yet?

Search This thread

michaelvibe

Jun 17, 2010
Arkansas
I dropped my Moto G a few weeks into owning it and destroyed the front glass. First phone that I have broken the glass on and I was very disappointed.

Starting looking around at options of fixing it. Thought I would try just changing the glass since the screen was fine and the digitizer still worked. After watching several tutorials I decided that this was a bad idea. Thought about getting just the screen, but it still seemed like a lot of work.

Then I came across an entire replacement front housing HERE.

Has anyone bought something like this? It seems like it would be super easy to replace.

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com
I dropped my Moto G a few weeks into owning it and destroyed the front glass. First phone that I have broken the glass on and I was very disappointed.

Starting looking around at options of fixing it. Thought I would try just changing the glass since the screen was fine and the digitizer still worked. After watching several tutorials I decided that this was a bad idea. Thought about getting just the screen, but it still seemed like a lot of work.

Then I came across an entire replacement front housing HERE.

Has anyone bought something like this? It seems like it would be super easy to replace.

I have bought 2 so far, with the front housing.Those are the best option since they are super easy to replace, unlike the digitizer only (which is also harder to find).The 3rd option is glass+screen assembly but that is the same as replacing the digitizer itself so ye.Also the Moto G has its plastic around the glass sticking up a bit for protection, which makes the replacement of that xtra hard (you can literally ruin the frame even if you done that multiple times on different phones).Also you are safe of getting dust between the glass and the display (which is very annoying).

When you get digitizer+display+frame, you`re esentially saving yourself shidload of trouble and avoiding all that I've mentioned above.There are only 2 things you need to move on --> the earphone and the microphone (depends on the revision of the board).

michaelvibe

Jun 17, 2010
Arkansas
I have bought 2 so far, with the front housing.Those are the best option since they are super easy to replace, unlike the digitizer only (which is also harder to find).The 3rd option is glass+screen assembly but that is the same as replacing the digitizer itself so ye.Also the Moto G has its plastic around the glass sticking up a bit for protection, which makes the replacement of that xtra hard (you can literally ruin the frame even if you done that multiple times on different phones).Also you are safe of getting dust between the glass and the display (which is very annoying).

When you get digitizer+display+frame, you`re esentially saving yourself shidload of trouble and avoiding all that I've mentioned above.There are only 2 things you need to move on --> the earphone and the microphone (depends on the revision of the board).

How is the quality on those? I am not expecting it to be OEM of course. I wonder if these have gorilla glass

gunner4

Aug 26, 2013
I just replaced a screen (glass, LCD, digitizer) and it was a breeze. I'm also very happy with the quality. Also added a protector just to be sure :D

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com
How is the quality on those? I am not expecting it to be OEM of course. I wonder if these have gorilla glass

The quality of the ones I bought is great.I'm not sure if the glass is Gorilla Glass but it feels like the original and the plastic is virtually the same.They could be OEM, cos they fit too damn good with everything else, although I (nor the seller) don't claim that they are.For the price (~40 usd) that I buy em for I'm totally satisified.

michaelvibe

Jun 17, 2010
Arkansas
I do think it should be very easy to replace. You can find an even cheaper one here : http://www.ebay.com/itm/271508770936?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

As to changing only the glass, as you mentioned yourself it looks quite difficult indeed, since you need to separate the two layers. I wouldn't try it myself.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Ordered one of these about a week ago hoping for it to show up soon :).

I'll make sure to update everyone when I get it and it is installed.

michaelvibe

Jun 17, 2010
Arkansas
Well i got the screen in today and it looks identical. Sadly the tools that they provided are not the right Torx size for the phone.

Last edited:

michaelvibe

Jun 17, 2010
Arkansas
Got the new screen installed after a trip to the store to get a Torx set. It looks and feels like the original one. Changing it out was incredibly easy as well.