MHL Adapter

Search This thread

glitzbd

Aug 18, 2009
Del City
MHL from T-Mobile

I would like to report that the MHL adapter for my Sensation 4G from the T-Mobile store will work just fine with the Flyer!

LeeDroid

Recognized Developer
Jan 13, 2007
Newton Aycliffe
www.leedroid.co.uk
+1, I was very pleased to discover that standard micro usb connectors work with the flyers obscure usb connector, its simply upside-down :D

Sent from my s-off HTC sensation running LeeDrOiD Sensational

Neaw

May 25, 2010
Barcelona
MHL HDMI AC M500 CABLE for the HTC M500 FLYER

MHL HDMI AC M500 CABLE can connect with our HTC FLYER, via HDMI to any screen, television or media that has HDMI input. It's as simple as plugging the cable ready.

I tried the MHL HDMI AC M500connecting to a Pionner AV-reciver vsx-520 with HDMI and connected to the TV Sony 32 " Benq Projector Screen 80"

http://youtu.be/eK7ZQfyzqZU

indiziert

Jan 11, 2012
Not sure whether this the right place to post,

Flyer running LeeDroid latest,
Using the Samsung MHL which was mentioned comaptible with the flyer.
Additonal hdmi to vga connector(with internal signal changer from digital to analog)

But i cannot get any output from the flyer to vga monitor as well as projector. Did i miss something?

EpicFail236

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 5, 2008
San Francisco
That's the problem, i have not hdmi tv. But somehow the monitor receive some signal as but it's blank screen.

Does the mhl connector work like plug and play? Or do i need to set it some where?

I had a similar problem. Apparently, some MHL adapters (or it may be the device, i dunno) require you to have some power running to the device before the output will work. Try running your power cable into the adapter and see if it starts working.

Reactions: indiziert

indiziert

Jan 11, 2012
I had a similar problem. Apparently, some MHL adapters (or it may be the device, i dunno) require you to have some power running to the device before the output will work. Try running your power cable into the adapter and see if it starts working.

As it from samsung MHL it requires samsung adapter, and i've already connected it to the power port. Which means the mhl is already powered.

Hmm, since samsung power adapter has less power output then the htc one(9v 1.67A), this could be the reason that the mhl(or the device) is under powered.

But seeing other thread, on using the other mhl adapter/connector, makes me wonder. Do I really need official mhl connector to be able to generate output which can be directly converted to analog, from the cable i am using right now?

Sound like i am taking to my self. :D.

gascomm

Apr 15, 2011
Amazon Kindle Fire
Nexus 9
@indiziert ... i've always understood you need to have the htc power supply powering any MHL device otherwise it won't work due to lack of power funnily enough. i guess it's a safeguard to stop the tablet/phone running out of juice half-way through a show/whatever since it's clearly a drain. i've a generic mhl device (amazon £10) which simply doesnt work until the power cord is attached. i've used both htc & generic usb power sources successfully. hope that helps.

Last edited:

indiziert

Jan 11, 2012
@indiziert ... i've always understood you need to have the htc power supply powering any MHL device otherwise it won't work due to lack of power funnily enough. i guess it's a safeguard to stop the tablet/phone running out of juice half-way through a show/whatever since it's clearly a drain on power.

thanks, mate. i try to order the original htc MHL.

will be posting the result later on, here.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
You don't have to have the HTC Official MHL adapter. I have a generic no name and it works fine on both my Flyer and my MOTO Droid 2X. Just use a standard USB power adapter and power it first, then plug it into the Flyer with the Flyer power off and then boot the flyer. Nothing else should be required. One note, some HDMI cables for some reason don't work with these adapters. Try a different HDMI cable also.

kudosmog

Aug 2, 2010
You don't have to have the HTC Official MHL adapter. I have a generic no name and it works fine on both my Flyer and my MOTO Droid 2X. Just use a standard USB power adapter and power it first, then plug it into the Flyer with the Flyer power off and then boot the flyer. Nothing else should be required. One note, some HDMI cables for some reason don't work with these adapters. Try a different HDMI cable also.

There's the difference. The HTC MHL adapted doesn't need the external power source. I just tried mine. One less cable, and way more stable then my generic.

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
My generic is perfectly stable and for any serious watching I"d be using the power passed through to the Flyer so the power drain is minimal anyway. For $7 vs. $34 for the HTC, I can't complain.

geojoking

Jan 14, 2012
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
So I bought this MHL adapter from eBay.

But I can't get it to work with my Flyer. I'm using a HTC charger that came with my Desire Z and the Flyer does charge.

But the TV doesn't detect any signal. One interesting fact is that when the adapter is plugged in, if I play any media (a video, for example) the Flyer does not render the audio. It still plays the video though.

Any ideas?

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
So I bought this MHL adapter from eBay.

But I can't get it to work with my Flyer. I'm using a HTC charger that came with my Desire Z and the Flyer does charge.

But the TV doesn't detect any signal. One interesting fact is that when the adapter is plugged in, if I play any media (a video, for example) the Flyer does not render the audio. It still plays the video though.

Any ideas?
Try a different HDMI cable. Some just won't work with the adapters for some reason.

indiziert

Jan 11, 2012
no luck...

@indiziert ... i've always understood you need to have the htc power supply powering any MHL device otherwise it won't work due to lack of power funnily enough. i guess it's a safeguard to stop the tablet/phone running out of juice half-way through a show/whatever since it's clearly a drain. i've a generic mhl device (amazon £10) which has simply doesnt work until the power cord is attached. i've used both htc & generic usb power sources successfully. hope that helps.

i ordered the AC M500 and recieved it today, i try to connect it with the hdmi to vga cables. however the projector still doesnt received any signal. BUT after i turned OFF the device with the cable connected, after the reboot still need to be unplug once and re plugged again. and voila! the picture appear on my monitor. but still need to try it with the projector. still thanks in advance.

You don't have to have the HTC Official MHL adapter. I have a generic no name and it works fine on both my Flyer and my MOTO Droid 2X. Just use a standard USB power adapter and power it first, hen plug it into the Flyer with the Flyer power off and then boot the flyer. Nothing else should be required. One note, some HDMI cables for some reason don't work with these adapters. Try a different HDMI cable also.

the problem is i need the AC M500, in order to work with the HDMI to VGA cable. I would not recommended the generic ones, in this circumstance http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1287344
as probably the generic one would be no problem IF you dont connect it with special cable such as the HDMI to VGA cable(digital to analog converter embedded) which i used.

hope this will help others with similar problems.

Last edited:

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
I disagree with your conjecture. Either the adapter accepts MHL and converts to HDMI or it doesn't. There is no half-way or partial conversion. Its a digital signal, there is no in between. So it will generate a 720P HDMI digital signal. If your VGA converter can handle that, then it will work. If you tried to view the Flyer on a HD HDMI TV and it works, it works. I think your problem is more likely the HDMI to VGA conversion. 720P HDMI is not exactly compatible with Analog VGA and even less likely compatible with a converter. Where PCs can change resolution and go to a lower VGA compatible screen resolution to match a VGA projector, the Flyer cannot change screen resolution or size. If your projector expects standard VGA or 480I signals, then the Flyer cannot generate such a signal without a down-converting box. My generic MHL adapter works with all 6 of my HD TVs , 4 different brands and my LCD computer monitor (HDMI) and my companies projector (HDMI). I just tried it with Coolext's latest HC ROM on the Flyer and its plug and play. Hook it up and it works, no setting changes, no hassle.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you step back and try it direct to an HDMI TV first?
    Did you try the Strock HC ROM?
    That's the problem, i have not hdmi tv. But somehow the monitor receive some signal as but it's blank screen.

Does the mhl connector work like plug and play? Or do i need to set it some where?

@indiziert ... i've always understood you need to have the htc power supply powering any MHL device otherwise it won't work due to lack of power funnily enough. i guess it's a safeguard to stop the tablet/phone running out of juice half-way through a show/whatever since it's clearly a drain. i've a generic mhl device (amazon £10) which simply doesnt work until the power cord is attached. i've used both htc & generic usb power sources successfully. hope that helps.
    Would you mind sharing where you did you got it and the model?
    thanks!

monoprice.com
    Product ID: 8805
    Micro USB to HDMI® MHL Adapter - Black
    It was on sale for $7 when I bought it. Now its $10.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=mhl&x=0&y=0
    I disagree with your conjecture. Either the adapter accepts MHL and converts to HDMI or it doesn't. There is no half-way or partial conversion. Its a digital signal, there is no in between. So it will generate a 720P HDMI digital signal. If your VGA converter can handle that, then it will work. If you tried to view the Flyer on a HD HDMI TV and it works, it works. I think your problem is more likely the HDMI to VGA conversion. 720P HDMI is not exactly compatible with Analog VGA and even less likely compatible with a converter. Where PCs can change resolution and go to a lower VGA compatible screen resolution to match a VGA projector, the Flyer cannot change screen resolution or size. If your projector expects standard VGA or 480I signals, then the Flyer cannot generate such a signal without a down-converting box. My generic MHL adapter works with all 6 of my HD TVs , 4 different brands and my LCD computer monitor (HDMI) and my companies projector (HDMI). I just tried it with Coolext's latest HC ROM on the Flyer and its plug and play. Hook it up and it works, no setting changes, no hassle.