[Q] Pantech Sky A800 Root and CWM help needed!

Search This thread

osum101

Feb 10, 2014
Hi all,

Firstly i hv learned a lot from xda developers and been coming to these forums for over a year now, but this is my first time posting here so apologies if my question is in the wrong section, guide me to the right forum and i will move to it.

I recently bought a used Pantech Sky Vega A800s, very nice device for its cheap price imo :)

but i have been having some problems with my phone.

the first is that battery drains very fast, but i figured it could just be a degraded battery so i chose to ignore it for now.

i was aware of korean phones sms limit problem (80 character limit) so after buying my phone i started searching for its soloution and came across various guides including installing 3rd party sms apps and rooting the phone to replace original sms app.
3rd party apps didnt work for me so i chose to go with rooting method.

now the real problem began,

i followed tons of guides and used many tools to root my phone but none of them worked for me, the process would finish but phone will always restart with normal unrooted os.
finally i was able to root my phone using a desktop pc app called VROOT.
now i tried to install CWM on this phone but after trying several methods and using many tools still i am unable to do it.

so far i have tried,
> using automated CWM batch scripts (from official Sky A800s forums/XDA threads)
> manually using FASTBOOT FLASH RECOVERY RECOVERY.IMG in fastboot mode
> trying FASTBOOT OEM UNLOCK and repeating above steps

here is what happens every time, (doesnt matter which of the above methods i use)

Phone reboots to fastboot if not already in fastboot
cmd window shows successful writing of recovery image
cmd window shows reebooting to recovery mode

now the phone reboots, screen turns black-ish for a few seconds, then it reboots again the logo shows up a couple of times and then it continues on with normal boot process into the stock os.

i have been digging around the internet for a soloution and so far i have found no soloution.

according to my understanding, all the tools and scripts i found on the internet were either for stock rom 2.3 or 4.0.4

while my phone is updated to stock 4.1.2 via official update, so maybe this is the reason i was unable to root my phone the regular way in the first place and i had to resort to using VROOT.
now maybe 4.1.2 is the reason i cant install/boot into CWM.

i really need recovery on this phone bcz i want to flash the MIUI V5 rom for sky a800s

also there is another major problem i which i think might get solved by installing a custom rom,

problem is that my phone sometimes will work fine for hours with normal texting and calls, but randomly sometimes it will crash upon recieving a sms with this mesage "YOUR PHONE WILL RESTART DUE TO AN ERROR WHILE RUNNING APPLICATION. PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR PHONE"
then phone restarts but immediately upon entering the OS it crashes again with same message. this continues untill i remove the SIM CARD from phone, leave it out for an hour or more (meanwhile the phone runs fine without sim), after sometime i can put the sim back in and it works fine now.
i have observe this happens randomly upon receiving a text message.
another thread on xda developer said to wipe data and wipe cache (reset ro factory) will solve this but it didnt work for me :(

thank you for being patient enough to read through my post :)
i just wanted to include all about my problem and all i have tried to solve it so far so you people can help me better with my problem.

any help with getting CWM working or solving the SMS CRASH problem is needed.

Last edited: