How to install Swype and get it working.

Search This thread

pooley182

Mar 19, 2010
Discalimer: While this has worked for me and many others, it may not work for you so be careful and remember to always back up your data.

Well after much searching for instructions on how to install Swype and get it working without the various errors and crashing i have decided to write up this little tutorial... 'Why do we need a tutorial?' you ask. well since my first attempt at installing Swype i have gone thorugh 2 hard resets and a new Rom.

I have also found a 'fixed' cab, after attempting to use a cab rip from the tmous version and screwing over my phone.

Some of these swype cabs are a bit buggy and can cause temporary errors in your registry that screw-up anything that is encrypted, this includes saved passwords for applications and more importantly the windows unlock password.

This may not happen in your installation but it's better to be safe than sorry and can be enabled after we have finished installing.

So before we even begin installation navigate your way to Settings > Security > Phone lock and then untick the box that says 'Prompt if phone unused for...'

Download the fixed-Swype cab if you have not done so already, i have to say thanks to whoever it was that made this, and is available here on xda-forums.

Cab:
Fixed-Swype-HTCBlackBird-3.9.10.10.5032.CAB
(No i will not put the fileup for public download, just search for it).

connect your HD2 to your computer and copy the cab over to the device into which ever folder you like.

now pick-up your phone and using your prefered file explorer navigate to the directory you just placed the cab in and open it.

During install you MUST make sure that you select to install the software to your 'Device' and NOT to the storage card.

Once the installation is complete your phone will prompt for a restart, select cancel and return to your file explorer.

Now navigate to the internal memory and then to the Windows directory in here will be a new folder named Swype, select it and then from the menu select copy.

Now go up out of the Windows directory but remaining in the internal storage navigate to Program Files.

Inside the Program Files directory paste the Swype folder.

Now perform a soft reset and swype should now be succesfully installed, to test swype open a blank message or word document, when the standard keyboard opens, click the small arrow next to the keyboard icon on the menu bar and select Swype.

Enjoy.

rexboy

Apr 28, 2008
Great write up. Must admit i had many problems installing the v3.9 and had to hard reset to fix it. Your last steps about cancelling the restart and copying the folder is what is different.

Must admit though, i just installed the v2.0 from the Omnia and found it typed faster (this is compared to when i did have v3.9 working). Also with 3.9 the number selection when holding down a certain key hardly ever worked, works all the time with 2.0 so i just stuck with that. With a skin it looks not bad either even though 3.9 does have the better appearance etc.

tictac0566

Jul 25, 2008
Europe
There is actually a new version of Swype floating around... installing it seems to be pretty easy. And the bugs of the version which is mentioned above are solved, too. Just google for "IME_Swype_3_19_20_20_6343_0.cab" and you will find it.

pooley182

Mar 19, 2010
i just installed the v2.0 from the Omnia

I did think about doing that but after seeing the screenshot was quite unimpressed, it just looks... unfinished...

may it also work for my touch pro 2 ?

I wouldn't like to say as i only have tried this on the HD2, but as long as you back-up and are prepared to re-enter all your passwords you could always try.

There is actually a new version of Swype floating around... installing it seems to be pretty easy. And the bugs of the version which is mentioned above are solved, too. Just google for "IME_Swype_3_19_20_20_6343_0.cab" and you will find it.

thanks for the info i may have to check it out if i get a chance.

Agoattamer

Jan 25, 2010
PA
There are actually 4 versions of swype floating around for use on the HD2.

The Omnia II version: works well but keys are small and just looks too plain.

The fixxed 3.9.10.10.5032 blackbird edition: Ripped from TMOUS. Much more pleasing to the eye. Long presses do not always work. (ex: holding for numbers). It changes your phone ID to T-Mobile_Leo. This it what locks you out of your phone if you have it passworded and causes you to hard reset. Disable password before installing. It also destroys settings for email and router pass keys. It also deletes passwords for installed applications like Resco and SPB. Also had to run through internet connection setup again. And who knows what else.

Another version of 3.9.10.10.5032 by LordYuz: This has been fixxed to not change your phone ID. Won't destroy your passwords or lock you out of your phone. Long presses still do not work well.

IME_Swype_3_19_20_20_6343_0: Also ripped from new TMOUS HD2. Again this version changes your phone ID and will cause damage as stated above. Not sure if long presses are fixxed with this version or not. Hoping LordYuz gets his hands on this version and fixxes it too.

rexboy

Apr 28, 2008
I did think about doing that but after seeing the screenshot was quite unimpressed, it just looks... unfinished...

I was of the same opinion but maybe its in my head but im sure it works better. It just seems to respond quicker, flow a bit better.
I also installed the Lessro skin, looks much better, better than the stock 3.9 in my opinion, dont even notice the keys appearing smaller and at the end of the day its a straight install, no special instructions required at all and the long key presses actually work so its practicality vs appearance..........i know what i prefer..............thats until of course they actually release a proper fully working 3.9 with all features working properly.

fiendskillz

Feb 7, 2010
where can i get the omnia version? i want to switch because theres a problem with the swype i have, it would ask for double confirmation of one word even when nothing is checked to ask for confirmation.

rexboy

Apr 28, 2008
where can i get the omnia version? i want to switch because theres a problem with the swype i have, it would ask for double confirmation of one word even when nothing is checked to ask for confirmation.

Refer to my post here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=684198&page=2 post #12

whilst v2.0 (omnia version) is floating around everywhere (google easily finds it), this is the newer released v3.9 by LordYuz which fixes the previous 3.9. works great. It is larger to install but go into the swype folder in the Windows directory, del the tutorial, its almost 10mb alone to save space :)

hagba

Nov 9, 2008
Yerevan
I used almost all of them including the fixed version ended up hard reseting twice,until I came across swype V.2 which I am enjoying it now a lot.

cu2cool

Feb 16, 2010
I have version 6343 with the Eleganicia ROM on WM 6.5.5 base. It works perfectly with long press, but the allignment is off due to the bigger taskbar. Any ideas on how to adjust it?

J

j4n87

There are actually 4 versions of swype floating around for use on the HD2.

The Omnia II version: works well but keys are small and just looks too plain.

The fixxed 3.9.10.10.5032 blackbird edition: Ripped from TMOUS. Much more pleasing to the eye. Long presses do not always work. (ex: holding for numbers). It changes your phone ID to T-Mobile_Leo. This it what locks you out of your phone if you have it passworded and causes you to hard reset. Disable password before installing. It also destroys settings for email and router pass keys. It also deletes passwords for installed applications like Resco and SPB. Also had to run through internet connection setup again. And who knows what else.

Another version of 3.9.10.10.5032 by LordYuz: This has been fixxed to not change your phone ID. Won't destroy your passwords or lock you out of your phone. Long presses still do not work well.

IME_Swype_3_19_20_20_6343_0: Also ripped from new TMOUS HD2. Again this version changes your phone ID and will cause damage as stated above. Not sure if long presses are fixxed with this version or not. Hoping LordYuz gets his hands on this version and fixxes it too.

LordYuz updated his Swype version to the current TMOUS Swype rip.
Works perfect with all fixes and it doesnt change the model id of your phone

rexboy

Apr 28, 2008
I used almost all of them including the fixed version ended up hard reseting twice,until I came across swype V.2 which I am enjoying it now a lot.

You probably used this version 3.9.10.10.5032.
Are you sure you tried the newest being Swype 3.19.20.20.6343.
Im using this no problem in terms of changing the phone ID, passwords etc and others have commented the same.

tictac0566

Jul 25, 2008
Europe
So far, Swype is only 5 languages... to implement any other is not an easy job. Hopefully Swype will officially make an offer soon, with more languages. I think many people would buy it if the price is reasonable.

jas0nw0ng

Apr 8, 2010
You probably used this version 3.9.10.10.5032.
Are you sure you tried the newest being Swype 3.19.20.20.6343.
Im using this no problem in terms of changing the phone ID, passwords etc and others have commented the same.

The omnia version does not lag when using htc messaging's conversation mode (with +50 message in a conversation). I installed the new stock ROM and this new swype version fixes the long press key problem, but it still lags pretty bad. My first question is, how do you check the swype version on the HD2? Secondly, does the newest swype version fix the lag problem?

rexboy

Apr 28, 2008
The omnia version does not lag when using htc messaging's conversation mode (with +50 message in a conversation). I installed the new stock ROM and this new swype version fixes the long press key problem, but it still lags pretty bad. My first question is, how do you check the swype version on the HD2? Secondly, does the newest swype version fix the lag problem?

Agreed, when i used to use the 2.0 (omnia version), it was simple and fast, just didnt look as good without a skin and the keys were a bit smaller.
Although in saying that, i have just flashed with a new aftermarket ROM which has the omnia swype already cooked in, v2.0 and it runs sweet.
Few days prior when i ran the latest swype i didnt have any lag on a stock 1.48 rom not sure why you got a lag problem. I also have hundreds of sms's but it worked good for me, i liked the new version as it just seemed built for our phones, larger keys, sound and vibration feedback, long key presses and even deleting words holding the backspace key down erased words etc. Overall very nice.
To check swype version, go to settings, personal, input and when you select swype, there is an about button top left. tells you there.

saulo866

Mar 19, 2004
Beijing
I have 4 questions...basically how to reset swype and how to guess which version is running.

QUESTIONS:

how can I know which swype version i am running? from which menu? or settings or where?

2. How to install a dictionary, for example ITALIAN Dictionary? (I have the Italian cab, but installation does not work)
I have two HD. The old one HTC-HD2, NOT T-mobile (running an old 6.5.3 cooked rom) has a modified swype in which sometimes (50% of times) long pressing does NOT result in a number to be typed. But it has ITALIAN language.

My new HD2 t-mobile has probably a omnia version (smaller keys) and long press ALWAYS work. Unfortunately it only has only ENG and SPANISH dictionaries, NOT ITALIAN. I have tried to install Italian cab (following a thread here) but it is NOT recognized as a legitimate dictionary.

How to reset swype? In fact after 3 or more months, the OLD HD2 has this problem: I have accidentally hit od and i3 and press space. these 2 mistyped words are now part of the ENGLISH dictionary, right? then what happens, every time i type OF I get OD (as default choice) and same for IF: I get i3...so I wish to reset the internal dictionary. How to do it?

The NON-omnia swype, in the 3rd screen (click 123-SYM key 3 times), has an option "SELECT ALL", The Ommia-version of swype does NOT have this option. Is there a way to add in omnia-version of swype?

The english dict has this word TYPO. Each time I swype TO the system ALWAYS enter TYPO...how to correct this behaviour? I wish to eliminate TYPO from dictionary. there are instructions on how to do. but these instructions do not work...

Thanks and waiting
Saulo

saulo866

Mar 19, 2004
Beijing
I have tried to turn back to defaults, under options, but no improvements...if someone knows how to reset to original settings, I would really appreciate...

Thanks
Saulo