Stay away from AnDOSBox

Search This thread

bsharitt

May 23, 2010
As I'm sure many of you are aware, people posting pirated apps the Android market has been a problem, but with in that problem is people posting GPL based applications, but refusing to comply with the terms of the the GPL. I've recently discovered that AnDOSBox, based on the DOSBox open source project, is one of those. It's not "convenient" for them to comply at this time. As an open source developer myself (but not of DOSBox itself, so I unfortunately can't file the DMCA violation request with Google), I hate to see people ripping off open source software and blatantly violating the license. Please do not buy AnDOSBox from the market.

greatht

Feb 19, 2010
hehe, I agree.

I just found this while I am publishing aDosBox 0.2beta.

It even uses a similar icon(or almost the same with aDosBox)

Reactions: erlern

wujekandrzej

Mar 1, 2011
aDosBox is heaps better than this AnDosBox...

uh, it's like you've just said - i didn't try andosbox... because its really way better than all other dosbox ports for android. i tried adosbox today to see if it improved, but it's still no comparision to andosbox - it's not even half as smooth.

erlern said:
lol that's quite funny, because adosbox just uses the original logo of adosbox, and andosbox is just slightly different - and you're accusing him of something? LOL

erlern

Aug 8, 2008
erlern.wordpress.com
uh, it's like you've just said - i didn't try andosbox... because its really way better than all other dosbox ports for android. i tried adosbox today to see if it improved, but it's still no comparision to andosbox - it's not even half as smooth.

What games are you running on it? I have tried Airborne Ranger, Xenon 2, Magic Candle, Bard's Tale, Rogue, 2400AD, Altered Beast, Tyrian 2000, Ultima 4 and 5, Dune and none of them have any lag in them. I tried Andosbox and don't think that I'll support it at that price.

I'm using a snapdragon device btw.

kaijura

Jan 1, 2011
Really hope aDosbox gets more releases out. Hope I could contribute somehow, but I have no clue how the software is being developed.

I tried adosbox recently after finding out that Raptor was available for the Apple Store.

aDosBox runs raptor too, but for my device it doesn't work that great yet. I still have hope.

Meanwhile, I found out that even though the developer of aNdosbox is charging 4 bucks, since it's under the GPL, people who paid for it are free to redistribute it. There is a 1.0.1 version hovering around on the net. If you can't find the link then let me know. But, andosbox can't even run some of the stuff adosbox does.

greatht

Feb 19, 2010

hm..... Can't understand here. Which one had you really tried?

wujekandrzej said:
lol that's quite funny, because adosbox just uses the original logo of adosbox, and andosbox is just slightly different - and you're accusing him of something? LOL

:) Let me clarify what I was talking about:
aDosBox 0.1 alpha was published in Feb 2010 and its logo is a combination of DosBox icon and Android robot icon. (just google aDosBox)
If you compare it with anDosBox icon, you will understand what I want to deliver.

PS: aDosBox is a hobby, not a product and it will never be. All credits belong to DosBox's author and the person who ported SDL to android platform(i.e. Pelya).
Everyone who wants to contribute and make dosbox run better on our android devices is welcomed to join us. ;)

int_19h

Feb 24, 2011
Redmond, WA
They do provide the source now, though you have to prove that you've got the binaries from them (which seems to be fine per GPL - they only have to provide sources to people they distribute the binaries to, and not just everyone; though of course others should be able to share once they get sources for themselves).

erlern

Aug 8, 2008
erlern.wordpress.com
hm..... Can't understand here. Which one had you really tried?

:) Let me clarify what I was talking about:
aDosBox 0.1 alpha was published in Feb 2010 and its logo is a combination of DosBox icon and Android robot icon. (just google aDosBox)
If you compare it with anDosBox icon, you will understand what I want to deliver.

PS: aDosBox is a hobby, not a product and it will never be. All credits belong to DosBox's author and the person who ported SDL to android platform(i.e. Pelya).
Everyone who wants to contribute and make dosbox run better on our android devices is welcomed to join us. ;)

Thanks for the minor updates over the last week. If I may suggest something, I find that it is a bit hard to see what I type on the screen because the virtual keyboard opens up and covers most of the screen, is it possible to show just the command prompt line above the virtual keyboard instead of having to hide and re-open the virtual keyboard to see whether input is correctly made? Thanks a lot.

kblood

May 10, 2011
Much work has been put into AnDosBox, and it is the best DosBox emulator by far at the moment. It has games working better on the Android than I could make them run on any of my PCs, which is quite a feat.

Its mouse control is really great. The only way to do a mouse control on a touch phone without having a bluetooth mouse and tv-out of some kind.

I really did not think the old dos games could run that well on an Android phone (mine is Samsung Galaxy S), but I do hope that others manages to make emulators run better as well, so we might see emulators with a better kind of Joystick support. Although the kind he has implemented is in the direction of what I would want to do for a onscreen joystick. Being able to just place your thump anywhere, and move up, down, left or right.

But it would probably be easier with a on screen firebutton as well, which is seems to lack. And being able to not have the joystick area in the middle of the Screen.

The Pelya stuff in aDosBox is nice, and it is probably able to run some games that AnDosBox cannot. But so far most games seems to run in AnDosBox better than I would have anticipated.

And they are finally sharing the source. I will try to ask him for it myself.

kblood

May 10, 2011
hehe, I agree.

I finally got to test aDosBox properly. For some reason I only got the SDL options to work with the menu button at first, and it sure helps being able to see the keyboard, quit button and all that. Since I cannot write anything in the developer section yet, I will post some feedback here:

Mouse support, I cannot get it to work at all. I have found that andosbox has a good mouse support, while adosbox has a good joystick / arrowkeys support. I am guessing I might be able to get the mouse to work if I make the Joystick control the mouse, but what I have come to find as the best method of controlling the mouse in games using a real mouse, is using the screen as a touch pad. But it seems a problem with Pelya to make that work properly.

Also an option to hide the on screen controls while they are still active would be nice.

Mouse calibration, that part might be the reason why the mouse does not work at all for me, but when going into it, I cannot select the screen. I can touch the 4 corners and it just goes into the Menu when I press menu after.
http://anddev.at.ua/load/emulators/dosbox_0_74/2-1-0-12

This one seems to show how that was meant to work, but I never really found a good way to make it work. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S, so the bottom right corner goes into my menu key. Top right goes into the back key. The DoxBox for Android I just linked has attempted to make the keymapper available on the menu key, which seems to be rather fail, since at most settings it is impossible to get out off again. Your menu seems to work much better, but after going into the SDL settings it seems to be lost, and only the SDL is on the menu key.

I am looking into Android development myself, I hope I can help some day, but I am still only just learning my way around the SDL and making some tutorial apps to get started. Good luck with the aDosBox project though.

aaronmjr

Nov 17, 2011
This may be the wrong area to ask, but in using aDosBox I'm having trouble starting the keymapper since my android on-screen keyboard obviously doesn't have "ctrl" or F-keys. How are the rest of you mapping keys for playing games? I have an Xperia Play running 2.3.3. With the stock settings but checking the box for having "Arrows/joystick/dpad" I can get the directional buttons to work, but can't map the triangle/square/x/o buttons to what I need for Commander Keen 4. Any help?

Reactions: darkelfv

darkelfv

Dec 12, 2011
I have a droid incredible.

That said I tried adosbox and it works, but pretty slow.

I looked up many reviews and finally broke down and bought andosbox. (15 min refund if you don't like it made the deal sweet)

I have to say for the games i have played andosbox is 200% better, smoother more polished system. I been playing masters of orion 2 and anvil of dawn. Well, no lag on andosbox and while they are playable on adosbox, the difference is worth the 4 bucks.

So you get what you pay for in this instance. I like both programs and sdl is only currently supported by adosbox so it has that going for it as well.

So thanks for creating these awesome ports. I do recommend using adosbox to see how it runs on your phone before getting andosbox. Just i find i like the tilt and menus in andosbox better (plus default speed boost)

-------------------------------------------------
Also to respond to the game pad question, you can get a blue tooth joystick. or look on the net / market for gamepad keyboards. or on screen game pads. loconet sells one but i bet there are free ones as well.

I have the htc droid incredible so hid bluetooth is not working, but there are some joysticks out there that still work.

If you want alternate onscreen buttons. You will have to find one in the market.
Basicly you change your default keyboard to replace it with one that has the inputs you need.

gururise

Feb 1, 2010
Los Angeles
Can you post the sources to the 1.1.9 version?

I posted the apk here, and even though it's GPL'ed software, my post was removed and I received an infraction from XDA.

BTW, it seems the reason that AnDosBox runs faster than aDosBox is because AnDosBox has a permanent framedrop hardcoded. Can someone try 1-3 framedrop on aDosBox and compare? I suspect the speed would be identical!

Last edited:

yogisoft

Dec 7, 2013
New Delhi
Try to build adosbox with Eclipse

This is what I done

svn checkout source trunk (adosbox source code from google code)
download Eclipse
build adosbox with Eclipse
build and install successfully on emulator/mobile.
BUT when I execute it Shows error message unfortunately adosbox has stopped.

also 0 errors but contains 2 warning , some yellow exclamation sign in MainActivity.java

Please help!!!!!!!!!!

protected void onActivityResult(int requestCode, int resultCode, Intent data) {
if (resultCode == Activity.RESULT_OK) {
if (requestCode == SELECT_CONFIG) {
Uri selectedImageUri = data.getData();
}
}
}
}
shows warning : The value of the local variable selectedImageUri is not used MainActivity.java /adosbox/src/org/hystudio/android/dosbox line 215 Java Problem

Hun-Grrr

Jan 2, 2017
Hi, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong area. How do you bring up the in-app menu on the Samsung Galaxy S7? The menu (two squares) button tries to go to split-screen mode and the back button exits the app. Long-pressing either does not work. The Assistant Menu option (under Accessibility) does not work either. I can't even bring up the keyboard at the DOS prompt. Pressing the menu button worked on the S4 and long-pressing it worked on the S5, but no idea how to bring up the menu on the S7. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hehe, I agree.

This may be the wrong area to ask, but in using aDosBox I'm having trouble starting the keymapper since my android on-screen keyboard obviously doesn't have "ctrl" or F-keys. How are the rest of you mapping keys for playing games? I have an Xperia Play running 2.3.3. With the stock settings but checking the box for having "Arrows/joystick/dpad" I can get the directional buttons to work, but can't map the triangle/square/x/o buttons to what I need for Commander Keen 4. Any help?