Tablet on, screen backlight on, no display, HDMI out working

Search This thread

Good2BCh13f

Apr 26, 2011
LTL, but I have an issue now and search isn't helping.

So, I have had my AT for about 3 weeks. No problems. Forgot to charge it overnight, no big deal. Charged it for several hours and then turned it on. Nothing. The screen lights up, but there is nothing on it. Ok, says I, I restart it. Nada. I did the hard restart (10 seconds holding the power button, 2 seconds off, 10 seconds holding it again) and still nothing. Then I noticed it made noise if I touched something that makes noise. I plug in an HDMI, and low and behold, the tablet is working fine, the screen just isn't. Now, keep in mind that the backlight is on, the screen just doesn't display anything. Any ideas?

frosty5689

May 10, 2011

So, I have had my AT for about 3 weeks. No problems. Forgot to charge it overnight, no big deal. Charged it for several hours and then turned it on. Nothing. The screen lights up, but there is nothing on it. Ok, says I, I restart it. Nada. I did the hard restart (10 seconds holding the power button, 2 seconds off, 10 seconds holding it again) and still nothing. Then I noticed it made noise if I touched something that makes noise. I plug in an HDMI, and low and behold, the tablet is working fine, the screen just isn't. Now, keep in mind that the backlight is on, the screen just doesn't display anything. Any ideas?
If you never dropped it, then the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the motherboard probably got loose and isn't making a proper connection. Your choice is to RMA or try taking it apart yourself and re-connecting the ribbon cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Good2BCh13f

martabakeju

Oct 3, 2010
I have exactly the same issue. I wish i can tear apart my transformer, but i don't know how.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

frosty5689

May 10, 2011
I have exactly the same issue. I wish i can tear apart my transformer, but i don't know how.

There have been posts with pictures detailing the tear down steps people did to take it apart, but it can't be said for certain that the ribbon got loosen. The screen could've very well just died. I know for a fact that some LED powered screens draws power for the LED backlight from the same ribbon cable, if the Transformer's IPS screen does the same then the screen must've died cause the back light is still on indicating the ribbon cable is still in place.

Good2BCh13f

Apr 26, 2011
If you never dropped it, then the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the motherboard probably got loose and isn't making a proper connection. You choice is to RMA or try taking it apart yourself and re-connecting the ribbon cable.

Thanks I might just do that. It is case-kept and it was inside a computer bag, so even if it was dropped (I didn't, but I have a dog/cat/wife who might have bumped it :D) it should have been fairly protected. I am still within my return/replacement window with Amazon, but they can only refund me due to lack of stock :(

Good2BCh13f

Apr 26, 2011
I was also thinking that maybe it thinks an HDMI cable is still attached and won't put the tablet display on? I have never hooked up an HDMI cable up until this issue arose so I am unsure what my AT's screen would do when I plug an HDMI in. Does the screen turn off? Does the backlight stay on?

martabakeju

Oct 3, 2010
I don't think thats the issue...before my screen totally died, it discolored for some time...then i kinda shook my AT quite strongly, then the screen totally died. I think it is the ribbon issue.

frosty5689

May 10, 2011
I don't think thats the issue...before my screen totally died, it discolored for some time...then i kinda shook my AT quite strongly, then the screen totally died. I think it is the ribbon issue.

I think a tear-down thread has pics of the display connections, if there's a separate backlight power cable then yah, ribbon is loose.

Good2BCh13f

Apr 26, 2011
So, after a minor teardown, I ensured all wires were re-seated, not just what I think was the power and display cables. Still nothing :( So, since I was still in the window of return/replacement with Amazon, I did that. But, as it is abundantly clear, the Transformer is sporadically in stock at best, I couldn't get a replacement, only a refund. Also, since I need a tablet by Tuesday at the latest, I am now the reluctant owner of a Samsung Tab. I am going to miss my microsd slot, my IPS screen, and my extra $100 bucks :(

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

indiie1

Jul 2, 2011
FYI I had a similar issue after accidentally bumping and dropping my transformer about 1 foot onto my mattress. Turned it on and backlight was on but no visual. Heard email notifications etc suggesting it was working. I haven't been able to get hdmi out working yet so didn't get to confirm that.

Amazon bought, but returned it to Asus service centre in Sydney. Got it back today with repair report stating "Reconnected LVDS cable". Presumably if the repairers knew you had disassembled it yourself and attempted to fix it they would say your warranty is void, would that be correct?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you never dropped it, then the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the motherboard probably got loose and isn't making a proper connection. Your choice is to RMA or try taking it apart yourself and re-connecting the ribbon cable.