CM9/CM10 T-Mobile wifi calling?

Search This thread

KevlarTheGreat

Jul 18, 2008
WiFi calling can be set up on any ROM. Not T-Mobile WiFi calling, but free WiFi calling nonetheless. There are plenty if tutorials floating around.

And it will never be built into official CM source.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Thanks for the info. I'm curious why it would never be shipped with the official ROM? The T-Mobile WiFi calling appears to be open source: http://code.google.com/p/the-ims-open-source-project-for-android/ . Is there a different reason it wouldn't ship with stock CM10 or are you just guessing?

Reactions: nullredvector

heygrl

Nov 20, 2009
Las Vegassss
He's talking about some lame SIP/VOIP solution, not what WiFi calling is. It could be integrated but there's not enough demand apparently.

scotty137

Dec 23, 2010
Wifi calling?

I really hope they have it eventually. I get zero reception in my apartment either and I'll miss that feature. Is there any way at all to do it?

bossman137

Nov 1, 2010
Sandy
Ok What i would love is for the two guys so confident that wifi calling won't be or can't be incorperated into a cm build, to add one or two more lines to their post backing their claim, because as it stands they are just being trolls

lol watch i can do it to.
GUYS you need to just trust me when I say I can gaurantee each and every one of you a wifi calling app will be included in tonights nightly.... see how useless that is you two.

Reactions: Jaxidian

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
Ok What i would love is for the two guys so confident that wifi calling won't be or can't be incorperated into a cm build, to add one or two more lines to their post backing their claim, because as it stands they are just being trolls

GUYS you need to just trust me when I say I can gaurantee each and every one of you a wifi calling app will be included in tonights nightly.... see how useless that is you two.

Try Googling it, you can set up a SIP/VoIP number to call your Google Voice number if you have one and use WiFi for the calls.

Sent from my SGH-T999

jet8300

Dec 21, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
What I would like is someone to post some facts regarding whether or not wifi calling could be eventually added. Not speculation or hearsay.

I really want to switch to CM but I can not afford to give up wi-fi calling. I have miserable cell tower service in my home and that's an understatement. So please, anyone with some solid facts?

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
What I would like is someone to post some facts regarding whether or not wifi calling could be eventually added. Not speculation or hearsay.

I really want to switch to CM but I can not afford to give up wi-fi calling. I have miserable cell tower service in my home and that's an understatement. So please, anyone with some solid facts?

Well if facts are what you're looking for keep looking or go ask someone from CM directly. It likely won't be added in unless someone starts building unofficial builds with it.

Sent from my SGH-T999

superlex

Dec 30, 2011
I have search all over the web the best solution for now is use Groove IP. Groove IP is the best third party app better than many others I have tested. There is a bit lag on the conversation but the quality is good over WiFi. Make call over T-Mobile Data Network - suck - don't use call over T-mo data network.

Jaws4God

May 30, 2009
North Carolina
yeah i'm looking for this too.. I used CM9 for a few days and it did have the tmobile wifi calling but it seemed a little sketchy to use (text worked fine, calls were hit and miss).. but now i'm using CM10 and its not even loaded on there.. I don' want to have to create a new number or only chat with other who have the program..

if anyone knows how to either use Tmobile wifi app on CM10 or know of an app that works the same.. please let me know.

Thank you. :)

Reactions: frigidinferno

jouva

May 24, 2009
circa Philadelphia PA
To everybody posting "hey check out this other WiFi calling method" or some SIP type method: Please stop. Now. In fact if I could, I'd ask you to stop BEFORE you posted it.

The T-Mobile WiFi calling is MORE than just the ability to make a call to a land line: It allows you to use your existing T-Mobile number to send and receive calls and texts. The other solutions will not direct people trying to make calls to you to this number. Yes I know, there's other hoops you can jump through to redirect calling or texts or whatnot, but that's not what they want.

In addition, people saying "it's not possible" must have missed that this HAS been ported to previous ROM builds. It's just not a high priority thing as it's not a heavily used feature and is very specific to T-Mobile, so it's most likely not high on their priority list compared to making sure audio works in general.

The WiFi calling, from my understanding, is a combination of both the Android app and kernel modules to reroute everything. There might be more involved these days and there's probably lots of settings to tweak and similar code changes. But I don't think it's impossible. But PLEASE don't suggest other WiFi calling methods.

Fitchman

Apr 29, 2010
More info here:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28142-ims-wifi-calling/
Point here, is, Newer T-Mobile phones use IMS for Wi-Fi Calling, which requires GBA authentication in the SIM and special hardware.
The old kind, like on the Nexus One, was software based, and used UMA technology, like from the BlackBerry.
You'll see the rootzwiki linked to the open source versio nof this IMS implementation that T-Mobile and their vendor have released. Not totally clear if that's all you need to get Wi-Fi Calling to work.

So it would be amazing if the CM team could integrate the IMS service into the phones that support it going forward.

Reactions: BigSamE

Trevnerdio

Apr 13, 2010
PCB
Sorry guys but this will never happen with any open source project way to hard, trust me on this one.

Negative, T-Mo has open-sourced their IMS efforts.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

More info here:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/28142-ims-wifi-calling/
Point here, is, Newer T-Mobile phones use IMS for Wi-Fi Calling, which requires GBA authentication in the SIM and special hardware.
The old kind, like on the Nexus One, was software based, and used UMA technology, like from the BlackBerry.
You'll see the rootzwiki linked to the open source versio nof this IMS implementation that T-Mobile and their vendor have released. Not totally clear if that's all you need to get Wi-Fi Calling to work.

So it would be amazing if the CM team could integrate the IMS service into the phones that support it going forward.

Exactly what I'm saying. Open-source is an Android developer's best friend.

don728871

Dec 22, 2011
Cm does not implement wifi calling it strictly a T-Mobile thing and there was a project way back for open wifi calling g but I think its only for a section phone

Sent from my LG-LG855 using xda app-developers app

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
Cm does not implement wifi calling it strictly a T-Mobile thing and there was a project way back for open wifi calling g but I think its only for a section phone

Sent from my LG-LG855 using xda app-developers app

HTC Mytouch had WiFi calling for cm/aosp roms

sent from my Samsung Gangster S III on the T-Mobile network

frigidinferno

Jan 8, 2012
To everybody posting "hey check out this other WiFi calling method" or some SIP type method: Please stop. Now. In fact if I could, I'd ask you to stop BEFORE you posted it.

The T-Mobile WiFi calling is MORE than just the ability to make a call to a land line: It allows you to use your existing T-Mobile number to send and receive calls and texts. The other solutions will not direct people trying to make calls to you to this number. Yes I know, there's other hoops you can jump through to redirect calling or texts or whatnot, but that's not what they want.

In addition, people saying "it's not possible" must have missed that this HAS been ported to previous ROM builds. It's just not a high priority thing as it's not a heavily used feature and is very specific to T-Mobile, so it's most likely not high on their priority list compared to making sure audio works in general.

The WiFi calling, from my understanding, is a combination of both the Android app and kernel modules to reroute everything. There might be more involved these days and there's probably lots of settings to tweak and similar code changes. But I don't think it's impossible. But PLEASE don't suggest other WiFi calling methods.

Been scouring the forums looking for a definitive answer...yours is the best so far, so thanks! This post was made November 25th; has been any progress/hope so far? I'm very much a noob when it comes to android customization, but I have managed to install CM10 on my Nexus 4. If they do come out with a patch to enable it, will it be solely ROM dependent or will the fact that I'm on a Nexus 4 come in to play?

beano311

Dec 3, 2009
PA
Been scouring the forums looking for a definitive answer...yours is the best so far, so thanks! This post was made November 25th; has been any progress/hope so far?

Literally the only thing keeping me from dropping stock/Sense based ROMs in favor of a CM/AOSP base is wifi-calling support. I really miss CM, but I really have no service at all in the apartment I live in now and rely solely on wifi-calling to make calls and send messages. I would love to see T-Mo wifi-calling support on a CM10+ based SGS3 ROM.

HTC Mytouch had WiFi calling for cm/aosp roms
I'm going to guess that's because whoever the devs were that made the ROMs added it themselves. Besides the MyTouch wifi-calling is totally different than the IMS version that's used in newer phones.

Last edited:

deej029

Apr 16, 2011
Independence
Been scouring the forums looking for a definitive answer...yours is the best so far, so thanks! This post was made November 25th; has been any progress/hope so far? I'm very much a noob when it comes to android customization, but I have managed to install CM10 on my Nexus 4. If they do come out with a patch to enable it, will it be solely ROM dependent or will the fact that I'm on a Nexus 4 come in to play?

I just purchased the Nexus 4. After going round and round with customer service about no reception in my home, I was told about the wi-fi calling feature. BUT!!!! I was also told that the Nexus 4 (which is better than the SG3 IMO) does NOT have that option. So I had to settle for the SG3...(I kinda enjoy the silly thing) just wish I could've kept the Nexus!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry guys but this will never happen with any open source project way to hard, trust me on this one.

Hush, since you know nothing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

WiFi calling can be set up on any ROM. Not T-Mobile WiFi calling, but free WiFi calling nonetheless. There are plenty if tutorials floating around.

And it will never be built into official CM source.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Thanks for the info. I'm curious why it would never be shipped with the official ROM? The T-Mobile WiFi calling appears to be open source: http://code.google.com/p/the-ims-open-source-project-for-android/ . Is there a different reason it wouldn't ship with stock CM10 or are you just guessing?

yeah i'm looking for this too.. I used CM9 for a few days and it did have the tmobile wifi calling but it seemed a little sketchy to use (text worked fine, calls were hit and miss).. but now i'm using CM10 and its not even loaded on there.. I don' want to have to create a new number or only chat with other who have the program..

if anyone knows how to either use Tmobile wifi app on CM10 or know of an app that works the same.. please let me know.

Thank you. :)