Installing Whatsapp on Nexus 7

Search This thread

MarkyMark8609

Feb 12, 2010
Noticed nobody has asked this yet.

I've done a bit of searching and there seems to be a clunky way to do this involving an old SIM card (so Whatsapp doesn't throw a hissy fit when it has two clients connected to the same phone number) and using TitaniumBackup after rooting the device.

Is there any way to do it without rooting our Nexus 7s? As an owner of a Galaxy S2 with CM9 I have no issues rooting my device, I just wondered if there was a way to do it without?

Thanks for any help people! :)

Reactions: fhernandow

betamale

Oct 16, 2009
Chicago
WhatsApp running on my unrooted Nexus 7

I have WhatsApp running on my unrooted Nexus 7! :silly:

will post a screenshot as soon as I have the chance ...

betamale

Oct 16, 2009
Chicago

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-22-16-45-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-07-22-16-45-15.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,922

aidanbree

Apr 20, 2005
What did you do? Restore a titanium backup?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

betamale

Oct 16, 2009
Chicago
What I did ...

I did NOT ROOT my N7! :victory:
(I might have if I needed to but I prefer not to!)

Here is what I did (basically)

android-hilfe.de/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-forum/243625-anleitung-whatsapp-auf-tablet-jetzt-auch-ohne-root
(I can't post links yet :p)

Its in german I know but google will translate I guess. It is for another tablet but it works.

I had to kweak the process a little bit because WhatsApp wouldn't let me use the CALL option.
I had the confirmation code send as a text message to the phone number (to another phone).

Now it works like charm! :highfive:

I am really HAPPY with my Nexus 7 now! :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

Reactions: ch9fod

black_eagle5000

Oct 29, 2010
I actived it by another phone. Just find any phone got text n call function. I entered number of that phone to whatsapp on nexus 7, then take code from that phone n input it to nexus 7. It work for me.

It work with Viber n LINE too.

Last edited:

Salty Wagyu

May 28, 2011
England
I actived it by another phone. Just find any phone got text n call function. I entered number of that phone to whatsapp on nexus 7, then take code from that phone n input it to nexus 7. It work for me.

It work with Viber n LINE too.

Can this be done with my existing SIM in the HTC Desire or will I have to use a new SIM with new number?

Mindemon

Mar 14, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE
Can this be done with my existing SIM in the HTC Desire or will I have to use a new SIM with new number?

can anyone explain how is it done i translated that site someone gave here and i still cant understand how make this work
EDIT: well i did managed to understand and now it works but but it wont send me an sms to verify and i cant use the call me says i failed to many times and i didnt!

Last edited:

bso44

Oct 2, 2010
Anyone have the apk?

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

I have it working because I did a Titanium Back from my Galaxy Nexus and copied the file to my Nexus 7, than restored.

Do you get the messages on both your GNex and the N7?

leag_h

Jul 24, 2012
can anyone explain how is it done i translated that site someone gave here and i still cant understand how make this work
EDIT: well i did managed to understand and now it works but but it wont send me an sms to verify and i cant use the call me says i failed to many times and i didnt!

i have the same problem, can anyone help?
I tried with 3 different phone numbers are well

le0.br4zuc4

Jun 8, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
Anyone have the apk?

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

Do you get the messages on both your GNex and the N7?

I receive msg on both devices if someone start a conversation with me. If I start that conversation from the tablet I will receive msgs on the tablet but if I start conversations from the phone I will receive answers on the phone, makes sense?

bso44

Oct 2, 2010
I receive msg on both devices if someone start a conversation with me. If I start that conversation from the tablet I will receive msgs on the tablet but if I start conversations from the phone I will receive answers on the phone, makes sense?

Yea, that makes sense but is the whole conversation shown and saved on both devices?

lol604

Jul 17, 2012
translated the text with chrome but still do not fully understand how to get this working . anyone care to explain?

ultrawires

Apr 22, 2012
Officer
Redmi Note 9 Pro
based on betamale link to the android-hilfe.de forum.

I've got it working without root.

Required apps -
1. Whatsapp apk (must be the absolute latest from the play store - to download the apk from the play store, see http://codekiem.com/2012/02/24/apk-downloader/

[UPDATE: Step 1 - NOW, may not work and you will have to source for the apk...just request in this thread, someone will most likely put one up or there are other "locations" to consider!]

2. Appguard apk (see http://www.backes-srt.de/produkte/srt-appguard/)

Install whatsapp.apk
Install appguard.apk

Start up open/run appguard.
Select "Secure a new app"
Select "Whatsapp"
Appguard will take you through 3-steps
  1. scan and secure application
  2. Uninstall existing application
  3. Install secured application

Once the process is completed, within Appguard, you'll need to change Whatsapp Permissions by removing the setting for "Phone calls - read phone status and identity"

Setting up Whatsapp
You must have gotten a 3-digit verification code from whatsapp. I got this by using a mobile phone, setting my landline as the number and got Whatsapp to call me with the 3-digit verification code.

With verification code and the phone number (my landline) ready -
Now open/run Whatsapp.
Enter the phone number (used to get the 3-digit verification code).
Select the three-dots tab to enter the code.
Enter 3-digit code.

Whah-lah! whatsapp on Nexus 7.

Additional info.
1. With my mobile phone (with a working whatsapp installation), I made a backup of the whatsapp application and data (data backup is really all that is required). From settings clear whatsapp data. Started whatsapp to register with my landline for the 3-digit verification code. Once I got the voice message, I reinstalled my mobile phone whatsapp data to reinstate my daily whatsapp installation.

2. When registering with the "new number", whatsapp will attempt to "text" the number. It'll time out and offer the option for you to be "called". You'll need to wait 1 minute to activate the request for whatsapp to call with the code.

3. With Appguard, I believe, you can install appguard then install whatsapp. Appguard will then detect the "new" application installation (whatsapp) and offer the option to set the permissions for newly detect application installations.

4. After everything is working, I'd gone on to remove Appguard and test sending and receiving with whatsapp. Whatsapp still works (I uninstalled application did not clear appguard data).

5. Not tested - Hope this is persistent after restarting the Nexus 7.

Last edited:

ultrawires

Apr 22, 2012
Officer
Redmi Note 9 Pro

I'm assuming you want two differently whatsapp identity.

You can use your current sim but will need a different number with which whatsapp can text or call you with a 3-digit verification code (I used my landline number).

You should make a backup of the whatsapp data (I used mybackup). Then in Settings, clear whatsapp data on your HTC Desire. Open whatsapp and you'll go through the process to register a phone number (don't use your HTC phone number...use a landline number or use another sim) and have it text or call you with the 3-digit verification code.

When you've got the 3-digit verification code, you can restore your whatsapp data and you'd now have restored your HTC Desire's whatsapp data linked to your HTC Desire simcard.

Next is the Nexus 7 installation process - follow my detailed process posted to this discussion.

betamale

Oct 16, 2009
Chicago
I had some trouble too

First of all ... Thx ultrawires for the work/help! :good:

Everything regarding the installation and preparation steps is described perfectly.

I had the same issue with Whatsapp like some others described it here. When I did hit the CALL button (after the verification via text didn't work) I got an pop up telling that I had to many times tried to get an activation code and so I can not use the voice verification and I should contact support via email ... bla bla bla

It took me a while to figure out a workaround.

What I did...
I signed up for a n online phone number (one that you can receive txt messages with!).
I had this online phone number homepage open on my laptop in front of me.

I have an old, no longer used, android phone (with a german :silly: prepaid card in it and connected to my home Wifi).
I uninstalled whatsapp (clearing data) and reinstalled Whatsapp.
I started the setup of Whatsapp on the old phone using my online phone number up to the point when you send the data the first time....

Next to me I had my Nexus 7 (prepared like described by ultrawires).
I started the setup of whatsapp on the nexus using the same voice phone number up to the point when you send the data the first time....

FIRST I started the verification process on my old phone....
THEN I received the text message with the verification code on my online phone homepage...
THEN I started the verification process on my nexus... it failed (of course)
THEN I used the three-dots tab (right bottom - took me hours to find it!!!) to enter the code.

and WhatsApp is working perfectly WITHOUT ROOTING the Nexus 7!

If you don't have an old phone I guess you can do it like ultrawires described in his Additional info. 1. by making a backup of whatsapp on your actual phone, ... do the process ... and re-install the original version.
It might even work with the CALL option on a regular working phone without having all this online phone number thing.

to sum it up:
- you need a phone to do a new WhatsApp installation on it
- you have to use a different phone number, on which you can receive calls or text messages
- prepare, install and setup Whatsapp on your tablet (nexus 7) using the code you received via phone call or text message

Hope this helps!

I haven't uninstalled AppGuard yet.
@ultrawires
Did you restore all the permissins for Whatsapp before you uninstalled AppGuard?

I know it is a little bit confusing...
But you can be sure it works ... somehow...
... and for me this makes my nexus 7 really PERFECT!

ENJOY!

Finndang

Jul 19, 2012
Ho Chi Minh
I have a small question expect people to respond. Applications installed on the android phone will run in full-screen mode so install them on the Android tablet specific here is Nexus 7, the application can run in full-screen mode? :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    based on betamale link to the android-hilfe.de forum.

I've got it working without root.

Required apps -
    1. Whatsapp apk (must be the absolute latest from the play store - to download the apk from the play store, see http://codekiem.com/2012/02/24/apk-downloader/

[UPDATE: Step 1 - NOW, may not work and you will have to source for the apk...just request in this thread, someone will most likely put one up or there are other "locations" to consider!]

2. Appguard apk (see http://www.backes-srt.de/produkte/srt-appguard/)

Install whatsapp.apk
    Install appguard.apk

Select "Whatsapp"
    1. scan and secure application
    2. Uninstall existing application
    3. Install secured application

Once the process is completed, within Appguard, you'll need to change Whatsapp Permissions by removing the setting for "Phone calls - read phone status and identity"

Setting up Whatsapp
    You must have gotten a 3-digit verification code from whatsapp. I got this by using a mobile phone, setting my landline as the number and got Whatsapp to call me with the 3-digit verification code.

With verification code and the phone number (my landline) ready -
    Now open/run Whatsapp.
    Enter the phone number (used to get the 3-digit verification code).
    Select the three-dots tab to enter the code.
    Enter 3-digit code.

Whah-lah! whatsapp on Nexus 7.

Additional info.
    1. With my mobile phone (with a working whatsapp installation), I made a backup of the whatsapp application and data (data backup is really all that is required). From settings clear whatsapp data. Started whatsapp to register with my landline for the 3-digit verification code. Once I got the voice message, I reinstalled my mobile phone whatsapp data to reinstate my daily whatsapp installation.

2. When registering with the "new number", whatsapp will attempt to "text" the number. It'll time out and offer the option for you to be "called". You'll need to wait 1 minute to activate the request for whatsapp to call with the code.

3. With Appguard, I believe, you can install appguard then install whatsapp. Appguard will then detect the "new" application installation (whatsapp) and offer the option to set the permissions for newly detect application installations.

4. After everything is working, I'd gone on to remove Appguard and test sending and receiving with whatsapp. Whatsapp still works (I uninstalled application did not clear appguard data).

5. Not tested - Hope this is persistent after restarting the Nexus 7.
    Acer Iconia Tab A510

I was looking and testing different ways to setup Whatsapp on my tablet.
    Please note, my Android Phone died so it is currently at HTC Service, having said that, I don't have a "Smartphone" to get the verification code from there (or to make a backup).
    In addition, I was getting error "Sorry,you`ve failed voice verifion too many times" every time I was trying to get the verification code using my tablet.

After some failed attempts and mixing steps from this Thread and some other websites, I was just able to install and setup Whatsapp on my Acer Iconia Tab A510.

This is what I did:

Required apps -
    1. Whatsapp apk - http://www.whatsapp.com/android/
    2. Appguard apk - http://www.backes-srt.de/produkte/srt-appguard/

Using my Tablet
    Install whatsapp.apk
    Install appguard.apk

Select "Whatsapp"
    scan and secure application
    Uninstall existing application
    Install secured application

Using my PC
    I downloaded/installed BlueStacks, it allows me to install and use Android Apps using my PC - http://www.bluestacks.com/

I launched BlueStacks, looked for Whatsapp and installed the app from there (BlueStacks has its own "Android Play Store").
    At this point, Whatsapp is already installed in my PC (Using BlueStacks)
    Open Whatsapp, enter your phone number and verify.
    I was able to get the SMS with verification code and also able to receive the call with the code.
    Once we have the code, close Bluestacks (Do not enter the code there).

Using my Tablet
    Open Whatsapp, at this point we are running the modified version ("Phone calls - read phone status and identity" removed)
    Enter same phone number (as the one we entered using Bluestacks).
    Try to verify, you will get error message "Failed to verify too many times..."
    If the verification code box is not there yet, click on menu (three-dots) and select to enter the Verification Code.

Enter the code you got a few minutes ago via BlueStacks.
    You should be able to use whatsapp using your tablet at this point.

Hope this works for you too!
    Anyone have a copy of the apk? When I follow the guide, it fails to download it from the play store

Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/laxgwwmcm3atx19/WhatsApp_2.8.1355.apk
    hey can u tell us the complete procedure ?? and does it needs rooting of the device ??
    mine is nexus 7 wifi model...
    thanx in advance

Hi, it does need rooting as CM10 is a custom ROM. However, all feedbacks indicate its only working by default only 3g nexus 7. Wifi-only models will still get the unsupported tablet device message art the start of the program. Nevertheless there's is a way for wifi-only, and it involves making backups, I'll get back to you with the link to the guide.

Edit: Here's the link, a lot of users reported the carbon method working for them on grouper:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=38463974

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    What I did ...

I did NOT ROOT my N7! :victory:
    (I might have if I needed to but I prefer not to!)

Here is what I did (basically)

android-hilfe.de/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-forum/243625-anleitung-whatsapp-auf-tablet-jetzt-auch-ohne-root
    (I can't post links yet :p)

Its in german I know but google will translate I guess. It is for another tablet but it works.

I had to kweak the process a little bit because WhatsApp wouldn't let me use the CALL option.
    I had the confirmation code send as a text message to the phone number (to another phone).

Now it works like charm! :highfive:

I am really HAPPY with my Nexus 7 now! :fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed: