miracast and xbmc

Search This thread

Keland44

Jun 9, 2006
Cali
was thinking about this possibly being a sweet setup hopefully miracast will be implemented into the device or possible being implemented into xbmc having that along the airplay option on xbmc enabled would make this a pretty sweet device
i purchased(preordered one) but I was hoping it would be more so like a media center device kinda like google tv but no hdmi out so no google tv overlay. But if I could use this to do miracast with my 4.2 sgs3 and whenever friends come over can use xbmc to allow them to do airplay that would be really cool

reason i bring up miracast support is because supposedly is supported in tegra 3

i've been trying to figure/find out how you go about setting up a miracast server but the documentation doesn't seem to exist not saying that i have the ability to implement but i wouldn't mind taking a look into it

thoughts?

jasenko

Jan 10, 2013
This is more of a question for xbmc team. I suggest you provide that feedback on their forum. There was a talk of xbmc supporting miracast but no eta.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium

Reactions: halomgir

Trooper_Max

Jan 27, 2011
was thinking about this possibly being a sweet setup hopefully miracast will be implemented into the device or possible being implemented into xbmc having that along the airplay option on xbmc enabled would make this a pretty sweet device
i purchased(preordered one) but I was hoping it would be more so like a media center device kinda like google tv but no hdmi out so no google tv overlay. But if I could use this to do miracast with my 4.2 sgs3 and whenever friends come over can use xbmc to allow them to do airplay that would be really cool

reason i bring up miracast support is because supposedly is supported in tegra 3

i've been trying to figure/find out how you go about setting up a miracast server but the documentation doesn't seem to exist not saying that i have the ability to implement but i wouldn't mind taking a look into it

thoughts?

I've heard the documentation costs around $200 and that might not even be all of it. Or I might be pulling that number out of air, don't remember where I saw that, but did find this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=147320

I am more interested in seeing the Android Transporter Player ported to Ouya, except that they haven't released their source code on the sending side yet...
https://github.com/esrlabs/AndroidTransporterPlayer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyoZoNA8U24

~Troop

Reactions: Keland44
I'm not from familiar with Miracast. All I know is what the Wiki page said. It really reads like DNLA. And from my experience, this has been something that can be app dependent. Since I have no experience with Miracast, I don't know if it's full mirroring or just certain apps.

That said, Miracast may just be work versus just installing individual apps. Unless there is something in the application code for specific devices, if you side load an APK, it should run on the Ouya. Doesn't mean it will run well or look correct. Thus, you may be able to just side load XBMC. I know I'll try it with Plex, Netflix, Hulu, various sports--MLB, NHL, NBA, etc--and so on.

I couldn't figure out what the end result you were suggesting about friends coming over and their mobile devices.

Trooper_Max

Jan 27, 2011
I'm not from familiar with Miracast. All I know is what the Wiki page said. It really reads like DNLA. And from my experience, this has been something that can be app dependent. Since I have no experience with Miracast, I don't know if it's full mirroring or just certain apps.

That said, Miracast may just be work versus just installing individual apps. Unless there is something in the application code for specific devices, if you side load an APK, it should run on the Ouya. Doesn't mean it will run well or look correct. Thus, you may be able to just side load XBMC. I know I'll try it with Plex, Netflix, Hulu, various sports--MLB, NHL, NBA, etc--and so on.

I couldn't figure out what the end result you were suggesting about friends coming over and their mobile devices.

I believe Miracast is primarily for screencasting - ie it just mirrors what is on the device's screen onto the TV or whatever is receiving. And I believe the previous poster was saying that it would be nice if it is easy to screencast from your phone to the TV and allow visiting friends to be able to easily screencast their content as well - so if one person has a video they want to show everyone, it's not a hassle to pull it up on the big screen. I think this is what a lot of us want.

~Troop

Reactions: Keland44

Keland44

Jun 9, 2006
Cali
I believe Miracast is primarily for screencasting - ie it just mirrors what is on the device's screen onto the TV or whatever is receiving. And I believe the previous poster was saying that it would be nice if it is easy to screencast from your phone to the TV and allow visiting friends to be able to easily screencast their content as well - so if one person has a video they want to show everyone, it's not a hassle to pull it up on the big screen. I think this is what a lot of us want.

~Troop

yea this is exactly what i'm lookin for been keeping an eye on it have google alerts set up for pretty much anytime miracast is being searched on the net to possibly find any tidbit of info that might be helpful with this. thanks Troop

jonnydangerous

Apr 19, 2008
video streaming

Hi all. Bit late to the party but my ouya comes tomorrow
Assuming no problems on sideloading why not just use
twonky. Been using for ages bouncing files between my
nas drive, xperia s, xoom2 and Xbox. Even adhoc with
android.......jus puttin it out there..... It's spot on even with
playlists and web streams.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is more of a question for xbmc team. I suggest you provide that feedback on their forum. There was a talk of xbmc supporting miracast but no eta.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium

thoughts?

I've heard the documentation costs around $200 and that might not even be all of it. Or I might be pulling that number out of air, don't remember where I saw that, but did find this:
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=147320

I am more interested in seeing the Android Transporter Player ported to Ouya, except that they haven't released their source code on the sending side yet...
    https://github.com/esrlabs/AndroidTransporterPlayer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyoZoNA8U24

~Troop

~Troop