LG G2 Fastboot

Search This thread

Learnerspermit

Feb 11, 2014
Everything I found on this says volume + and power, which kicks me into download mode, not fastboot.

I've gone into adb and typed adb reboot bootloader, but that just restarts the phone and turns in on like normal.

I google the how to enter fastboot mode on LG G2 and can find plenty of post about being stuck in fastboot, but nothing on how to get into fastboot in the first place.

Found a tutorial here about setting up and using fastboot and thought I was set until I got to the part about "and using fastback", where it just says:

Make sure you have android debugging turned on in your phone (not really needed for fastboot but you do need for ADB), plug it into your computer and boot into fastboot mode...

I felt like watching "Much ado about nothing" when Denzel says; "The learned constable is too cunning to be understood"

Any direction is appreciated.

Last edited:

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Hmm, I may have written that guide... Just checked and yeah should have been more clear I'll change that up. It should have read the USB debugging was needed for adb (not for fastboot) so when you can issue
adb reboot bootloader
But after that I did mention to check device specific forum for answers on how to get into fastboot/bootloader and being I've never held an lg g2 I took a quick look around.
Unfortunately the only way that I found that people said works every time is to wipe recovery to get into bootloader mode as the recovery you guys currently have disables something due to a patch getting custom recoveries to work
So yeah, I would advice to speak with someone knowledgeable about your specific device before you just wipe recovery
Out of curiosity, is there something specific you need to do with fastboot or are you just curious about your phone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Learnerspermit

Learnerspermit

Feb 11, 2014
Out of curiosity, is there something specific you need to do with fastboot or are you just curious about your phone?

the current thing I've been trying to straighten out is that despite being rooted and installing TWRP, I can't install ROMS. I tried CM 11 and Hellfire so that I could put kitkat on, but gave the following:

Error executing updater binary zip.

One of the answers I found said that I had to go back to TWRP 2.3 (I'm using 2.6) and I believe that's where the whole bootloader thing came into play, because it was the way to 'downgrade' -
So then I found Philz touch 6 (as I understand it a mode of CM 11), but here he talked about fastboot and lokifying items. Here's the link:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2554053

In the end it still comes back to the "can't load ROMs" issue. Just want a completely stripped down Kitkat that I can add the stuff I want without the bloatware.

Thanks in advance.(and the thanks button was hit on your reply)

Last edited:

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
For KitKat you should need a newer recovery with SELinux support which I believe is 2.6.x and newer for twrp, 2.3 I doubt would work if there even is one for your phone
But yes fastboot is often the best way to change recoveries but not the only way.
If there is a flashable.zip you could install new recovery from old
If your current ROM supports the flash image binary you can use a terminal emulator
You can use adb to install
Or even apps from the market
I would look for the latest recovery for your device, twrp, cwm, shouldn't matter so long as its new and then find what way works best changing for your phone.
The update-binary issue is often a sign that you need to change recoveries
Unfortunately without having your device I don't know if I can give you the best answers but feel free to ask
Best of luck!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Learnerspermit

Learnerspermit

Feb 11, 2014
Unfortunately without having your device I don't know if I can give you the best answers but feel free to ask
Best of luck!

Thanks again. I have adb and the script for loading TWRP 2.6.xx. I unrooted and rerooted the phone, because I wasn't sure how to replace the recovery... Now I think I realize that I could just find another recovery image and place it in the same file as the loki flash and that will flash it (At least that's what I understand at present).

If that's the case, then downloading the Philz touch 6 would work... but not wanting to brick it, I'm still asking and reading.

dodge3003

Mar 6, 2011
Derbyshire
Hello Guys.

I am having a similar issue. I have a new ROM that will not run because of a faulty lg set up wizard that always force closes and I can not get passed it and a nandroid that for some reason is corrupted. So. This fastboot seems to be a dead end it looks like a quick learning curve of ADB is the only viable answer. I have installed all SDK Manager with ADB Tools and also the required Jarva JDK and LG drivers. The phone is turned on (at the beginning of the faulty setup wizard) In CMD my device is found when typing in 'adb devices' So. I am already to push a new ROM over to the phone.

Do either of you guys know the adb command?

Help would be appreciated.

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
You can't actually flash a new ROM with adb, but you can either push it phone with adb and then flash in recovery. Or if your recovery has an option for adb sideload then use this.
Also setup wizard crashing is usually the fault of wrong gapps or not wiping before flashing a rom

Learnerspermit

Feb 11, 2014
I found that the best way was to load flashify, that did the trick so I could start trying out ROMs... so no on to the next step - finding a 4.4.2 stripped down stock and the LG stuff I actually like.... thanks again.

Reactions: dodge3003

dodge3003

Mar 6, 2011
Derbyshire
You can't actually flash a new ROM with adb, but you can either push it phone with adb and then flash in recovery. Or if your recovery has an option for adb sideload then use this.
Also setup wizard crashing is usually the fault of wrong gapps or not wiping before flashing a rom

Thanks for the reply!

I know it's not possible to flash a ROM via ADB. I have everything set up, ADB etc, etc. My phone is turned on and adb is seeing it but I can not work out the command to push. Every time I try to push I just get a long list of ADB instructions (I think they are) but nothing gets pushed. I have read lots of instructions on how to make the command but I still must be doing something wrong.

Here are my parameters;-

adb push/C:\Users\dene\Desktop/cm-11-20140210-SNAPSHOT-M3-d802.zip/sdcard

Am I missing some spaces I am not aware of? Are all my slashes the right way round and in the right places? Is my 'sdcard' destination designation correct seeing as there is only internal storage on the G2?

Another problem I am having is that ADB has no problem seeing my sevice EXCEPT when I boot in to recovery (TWRP). When in recovery I lose coms between my device and pc. Hence I can no do TWRP ADB side load (I have tried). I have all the correct LG drivers loaded. Except MTP keeps failing to install? Any ideas?

Not to be mardy about it or hassle you but I am fairly house bound and live out in the country and really require my mobile phone. I have spent many hours trying to figure this out. Any help with the above would be much appreciated?

PS. I did a very thorough wipe, I always do. The gapps are built in to this ROM!

dodge3003

Mar 6, 2011
Derbyshire
Thanks for the reply!

I know it's not possible to flash a ROM via ADB. I have everything set up, ADB etc, etc. My phone is turned on and adb is seeing it but I can not work out the command to push. Every time I try to push I just get a long list of ADB instructions (I think they are) but nothing gets pushed. I have read lots of instructions on how to make the command but I still must be doing something wrong.

Here are my parameters;-

adb push/C:\Users\dene\Desktop/cm-11-20140210-SNAPSHOT-M3-d802.zip/sdcard

Am I missing some spaces I am not aware of? Are all my slashes the right way round and in the right places? Is my 'sdcard' destination designation correct seeing as there is only internal storage on the G2?

Another problem I am having is that ADB has no problem seeing my sevice EXCEPT when I boot in to recovery (TWRP). When in recovery I lose coms between my device and pc. Hence I can no do TWRP ADB side load (I have tried). I have all the correct LG drivers loaded. Except MTP keeps failing to install? Any ideas?

Not to be mardy about it or hassle you but I am fairly house bound and live out in the country and really require my mobile phone. I have spent many hours trying to figure this out. Any help with the above would be much appreciated?

PS. I did a very thorough wipe, I always do. The gapps are built in to this ROM!

I HAVE SOLVED THE ISSUE! Thanks for your assistance mate but in the end I just went back to stock using this amazing thread:-

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

in conjunction with this amazing video;-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IixQjo_hyz8

So! I am now un rooted and back to stock. Time to start the rooting ana ROMing all over again.lol

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Glad to here!
You need a space after push
But it usually easier not to enter the location of a file while pushing so cd to the directory first like
cd C:\Users.....
Then once there adb push /nameoffile /locationonphone
But if you don't want to cd, I see you have widows, depending on version you can just right click in the folder your file is located and choose open cmd here

Gillani.Escobar

Mar 9, 2016
Need Help

As I thought I bought LG G2 D-802, but it was D-800 and I accidentally install the lollipop of D802 and now it's in bootlap.... I can only get into fastboot and whenever I try to flash .img of D-800 or D-802 it just stuck at "writing .img"
What to do to unbrick the phone and bring it back to live. I tired the adb and fastboot cmd method on windows 10 and windows 7 but no success. It's just stuck at writing .img file. :(:(:(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hmm, I may have written that guide... Just checked and yeah should have been more clear I'll change that up. It should have read the USB debugging was needed for adb (not for fastboot) so when you can issue
    adb reboot bootloader
    But after that I did mention to check device specific forum for answers on how to get into fastboot/bootloader and being I've never held an lg g2 I took a quick look around.
    Unfortunately the only way that I found that people said works every time is to wipe recovery to get into bootloader mode as the recovery you guys currently have disables something due to a patch getting custom recoveries to work
    So yeah, I would advice to speak with someone knowledgeable about your specific device before you just wipe recovery

For KitKat you should need a newer recovery with SELinux support which I believe is 2.6.x and newer for twrp, 2.3 I doubt would work if there even is one for your phone
    But yes fastboot is often the best way to change recoveries but not the only way.
    If there is a flashable.zip you could install new recovery from old
    If your current ROM supports the flash image binary you can use a terminal emulator
    You can use adb to install
    Or even apps from the market
    I would look for the latest recovery for your device, twrp, cwm, shouldn't matter so long as its new and then find what way works best changing for your phone.
    The update-binary issue is often a sign that you need to change recoveries
    Best of luck!

I found that the best way was to load flashify, that did the trick so I could start trying out ROMs... so no on to the next step - finding a 4.4.2 stripped down stock and the LG stuff I actually like.... thanks again.