[NEWS]Nintendo DS on Android

Search This thread

shad0wboss

Oct 6, 2010
Genève
I couldn't help posting this because i became happy when i read it...

Tiger Lab apps(nds demo emulator)
[Only open for limited days]

1. VERY EARLY PROTOTYPE VERSION(BETA) FOR DEMO ONLY

2. It is very very slow so you shall not expect to play NDS game with this emulator.

3. It is used to DEMO that NDS game can be played on android phone

It is shown that NDS WILL be played some days on android phone, maybe 2012 or later

WHAT IS NEXT WORK (Huge efforts)

1. More powerful phones
2. Dynarec CPU simulation
3. GPU simualtion improvement for speed greatly.
4. Hareware render (eg, OpenGL ES)
5. FPU. Since NDS need lots of float calculation. FPU can improvement performance greatly. Later ARM will have FPU in feature

If you do not have a high-end phone, do not try NDS game. Even if you have a high-end phone, just try some small games(none 3D) but it is also quite slow.
How to demo (not play) NDS game

1. Put your nds ROM files to /roms/nds folder in sdcard.

Note. zip nds rom is not supported, you shall extract them to be *.nds files

2. Launch TigerNDS which will load those NDS roms in game list

3. Select one game and play

It is just DEMO and speed is very very very very slow even on high-end phones. You shall not expect to play nds game with the emulator.

SOurce: http://www.appbrain.com/app/tiger-lab-(nds-demo-emulator)/com.tiger.demo.nds

D3luSi0n4L

Aug 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Its amazing what a skilled developer can make and pretty soon I'm sure we'll see a app for everything and this is just one more off the list. I can't wait to see how they manage using both screens but im sure it'll be awesome!

Good job devs! Keep it up!
-D3luSi0n4L

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
I know it's just a proof of concept currently, but why are they saying it would need new devices to run well? It seems like, since the DS and our devices are both ARM based, with some obvious modifications to run arm code natively and not emulated, you could get it running pretty well. At least that's what I had gathered from previous discussions about it.

maxohkc

Feb 19, 2010
I know it's just a proof of concept currently, but why are they saying it would need new devices to run well? It seems like, since the DS and our devices are both ARM based, with some obvious modifications to run arm code natively and not emulated, you could get it running pretty well. At least that's what I had gathered from previous discussions about it.

In order to emulate a nintendo DS your phone needs to have twice the power. But to be honest I never thought the DS was too powerful... So I bet once the emulator is out of alpha it should run fine on a galaxy S. But who knows were still waiting for Zodttd to finish the N64 emulator

JesusFreak316

Aug 19, 2009
In order to emulate a nintendo DS your phone needs to have twice the power. But to be honest I never thought the DS was too powerful... So I bet once the emulator is out of alpha it should run fine on a galaxy S. But who knows were still waiting for Zodttd to finish the N64 emulator

Of course, I am familiar with emulators and how, as a rule of thumb, your device should be 10 times more powerful to expect any sort of decent emulation. I'm just saying, maybe they can avoid emulating certain things and run native ARM DS code natively, vastly speeding it up. It would be REALLY hard though, requiring vast knowledge of ARM assembly from what I've heard. Meh, Zodttd. He should stick to iPhone imo. Android will probably get some decent open source emulators soon enough.

crisiscore_08

Jun 23, 2010

decent emulation takes about 5-10 times the power to emulate

and ive heard that emulating the DS is extremely difficult
as for zod i honestly doubt he is still working on that project paul seems to be the one that is on top of the project now

bendoe91z28

Aug 31, 2010
I'll try it out with my Atrix tonight, maybe post a youtube video. Is there a standard game we are using?

Armerad

Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina
I've been trying to run a .nds file on this. The ROM is Pokemon Platinum (128mb). It's on /roms/nds and shows up in the app, however when I click on it it flashes to a black screen then goes back to the rom selection screen.

Dec 22, 2010
Sighh..

I remember the time when psp can emulate ds rom even though the frame rate per second was really low! (Average 17fps!):)

alienhunt

Dec 17, 2010
I stopped using handhelds after the Gameboy Advance.. besides, it feels like all these games are the same rehash with little story change and somewhat better graphics.. there doesn't seem to be any new creative things being done in the handheld market.. so I say why bother killing your phone trying to emulate the NDS..

with that in mind, we are looking at quad-core phones by the end of 2012 for SURE, and dual-core by fall 2011 I hope, so just wait a few more months haha.

my bigger concern about emulation and games on the Android is multitouch.. even my Desire on 2.3.3 (CM7) has issues where multitouch fails, rendering even most old games unplayable (how the hell can I run and jump in Mario at the same time like the real gamepad allows.. if we wanna improve the quality of gameplay on our phones, we should push the manufacturers for better hardware that'll allow coders to provide for better multitouch capability.

just my 2 cents..

Burko

Mar 8, 2007
I wouldn't worry about that, bluetooth gamepads are on the way.

I use a Wiimote with classic controller for emulators at the moment.

nobooya

Feb 21, 2010
NDS emulation can be slow even on PC, so don't expect phones to run games playable :)

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
alienhunt: more like spring 2011 for dual core.
i'll be getting a tegra2 phone in the mail next week.

matejdro

Jul 9, 2009
If you do not have a high-end phone, do not try NDS game. Even if you have a high-end phone, just try some small games(none 3D) but it is also quite slow.

Can somebody make better explanation? How high end should devices be? Would current devices (Desire, Galaxy S) be enough or do we need to wait for dual core?

Bluetooth gamepads are nice, but i think they are more like "i can do that" than really being usable. Games on the phones are meant to be played anywhere. And i don't want to carry a wiimote around with me just to play games on my phone.

I have tried several emulators on my HD2 and games are quite playable despite HD2's limit of maximum 2 touch points. Biggest problem is the feedback of the controls. You cannot feel controls, which means you can easily miss it.

I think best on screen controls would be ones that are fully customizable. Ability to move and resize controls to match your device, finger size and playing position would be killer feature.

magic_moe_

Aug 16, 2010
www.youtube.com
Sony Xperia 1 V
Can somebody make better explanation? How high end should devices be? Would current devices (Desire, Galaxy S) be enough or do we need to wait for dual core?

Bluetooth gamepads are nice, but i think they are more like "i can do that" than really being usable. Games on the phones are meant to be played anywhere. And i don't want to carry a wiimote around with me just to play games on my phone.

I have tried several emulators on my HD2 and games are quite playable despite HD2's limit of maximum 2 touch points. Biggest problem is the feedback of the controls. You cannot feel controls, which means you can easily miss it.

I think best on screen controls would be ones that are fully customizable. Ability to move and resize controls to match your device, finger size and playing position would be killer feature.

I have a Desire, the DS games run with 3 - 7 FPS...it's ok for "100 Classic Book Collection" and thats it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I couldn't help posting this because i became happy when i read it...

Tiger Lab apps(nds demo emulator)
    [Only open for limited days]

1. VERY EARLY PROTOTYPE VERSION(BETA) FOR DEMO ONLY

2. It is very very slow so you shall not expect to play NDS game with this emulator.

3. It is used to DEMO that NDS game can be played on android phone

It is shown that NDS WILL be played some days on android phone, maybe 2012 or later

WHAT IS NEXT WORK (Huge efforts)

1. More powerful phones
    2. Dynarec CPU simulation
    3. GPU simualtion improvement for speed greatly.
    4. Hareware render (eg, OpenGL ES)
    5. FPU. Since NDS need lots of float calculation. FPU can improvement performance greatly. Later ARM will have FPU in feature

How to demo (not play) NDS game

1. Put your nds ROM files to /roms/nds folder in sdcard.

Note. zip nds rom is not supported, you shall extract them to be *.nds files

2. Launch TigerNDS which will load those NDS roms in game list

3. Select one game and play

It is just DEMO and speed is very very very very slow even on high-end phones. You shall not expect to play nds game with the emulator.

SOurce: http://www.appbrain.com/app/tiger-lab-(nds-demo-emulator)/com.tiger.demo.nds