[Guide] Get Swype working without having to edit settings.db

Search This thread

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
After reading the Swype thread multiple times, it seemed like I was going to have to sack-up and edit settings.db, potentially bricking my Kindle Fire. Well, ignorance, and thick-headedness and a little luck combined to allow me to get it working with what turned out to be a very simple work around.

First, you will of course need to be rooted. I used the method outlined on www.rootkindlefire.com, but others have used Super 1 click, or Zergrush. Whatever floats your particular boat.

Second you'll need the Swype.apk, and a root explorer type app.

Once you've got all that, go ahead and install Swype normally, then navigate to data/app and move the Swype.apk to system/app. Go to a text field and long press to get the input method popup and select Swype, or use Nook Tools app (Swype should start force closing), select kindle keyboard again if you like and reboot, or just reboot (without reselecting Kindle keyboard rebooting takes a while but will happen, just wait). Once you've rebooted, install Swype again. It will tell you it's a system app but your data will be saved blah blah. Once that's done, you should be good to use Swype without issue.

If you want, you can then go ahead and unroot and it should be good. Actually, the only reason you need root is for when you move the apk to system/app. After that, all should work with or without root.

If you get more force closes, just reinstall Swype again. This worked for me on two different kindles so far, so I'm confident, as long as you follow the instructions, it will work for you too.

Sent from my Digital Brick

Edit: fixed Swypeisms

Last edited:

nednarb

Feb 12, 2011
I have made many changes to my kindle and getting swype to work is not one of them. I can never get it show up with either nook tools or long press.

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
Hmmmm...

Just did it to see how hard it might be. I've been using the thumb keyboard for some time now.

Starting out, I am already rooted...

1) Copied over the Swype Installer (I am a registered user)
2) Logged in.
3) Selected Beta Americas
4) Installed keyboard
5) Used root explorer and navigated to /data/apps
6) Moved the swype keyboard apk file to /system/apps
7) checked permissions to make sure it was rw-r--r-- (it was already)
8) Rebooted device
9) After the reboot, went to a program so that I could long press in the text entry area (I used Touchdown, but anything would have worked)
10) Selected Input Method
11) Selected Swype

Tried to use it, Forced Closed.

12) Went back with Root Explorer and found the /system/app swype apk
13) Clicked on it, wanted to install... let it do it.
14) Tried using the keyboard again.

See below:

ibqlR8LDIhKvkL.jpg

The one issue I have is that the ability to minimize is not easy to get to... but if you press and hold the swype key, it will go to Preferences and you can just click the back arrow and you have done the same thing. I'm sure there is some other way to do it, but I've not played with it much. Found you can do this by swiping from the Swype key to the backspace key...

Note that I don't normally use Swype, but it seems to work okay for me on my KF.

Last edited:

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
The one issue I have is that the ability to minimize is not easy to get to... but if you press and hold the swype key, it will go to Preferences and you can just click the back arrow and you have done the same thing. I'm sure there is some other way to do it, but I've not played with it much.

Note that I don't normally use Swype, but it seems to work okay for me on my KF.

Swype from the Swype key to the delete key and Swype will minimize allowing you to access your bottom menu bar.

nednarb

Feb 12, 2011
Ok ok for some reason after many previous attempts I got it to work easy peasy.

i can't believe i struggled with this earlier. thanks for everyone's input on this thread. i am a swype user and was missing it.

movieaddict

Jul 24, 2010
Hmmmm...

Just did it to see how hard it might be. I've been using the thumb keyboard for some time now.

2) Logged in.
4) Installed keyboard
8) Rebooted device
9) After the reboot, went to a program so that I could long press in the text entry area (I used Touchdown, but anything would have worked)
11) Selected Swype

Ty so much!!! step , 12, 13, 14 solved my problem!! went back and installed it again and it worked, ty again! to get rid of keyboard just press swype key then home......

bsoplinger

Jan 17, 2011
Found you can do this by swiping from the Swype key to the backspace key...
I don't know why folks don't take the 30 seconds or the whole minute to read the well done web page of tricks and tips that Swype points you at when you install it. I pointed folks there on the original install Swype thread when they asked about hiding the keyboard. It's right there along with tips on changing case and adding and removing words from the dictionary and all sorts of other goodies. You can still get there with a long press of the Swype key and choosing the learn how to Swype and then more from there.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

RawRmon

Dec 5, 2011
I love swype, but I just can't get this to work!:( I think it's the Apk I'm using. Could someone please link the one they used. Everytime I try and install the ones from 4shared it says "not installed." It's getting frustrating.

Xdpker06

Dec 6, 2011
Awesome, I could actually hold conversations on trillian now although the keyboard looks chunky on the fire.

movieaddict

Jul 24, 2010
I love swype, but I just can't get this to work!:( I think it's the Apk I'm using. Could someone please link the one they used. Everytime I try and install the ones from 4shared it says "not installed." It's getting frustrating.

I have a Tmobile sgs2 and all I did was extract my Swype apk from my phone and the installer too, why get it from a Warez site when u have it on ur phone

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
Glad this is helping, I really didn't like the idea of editing my settings data base, but I really wanted Swype, and so did my wife, so when I figured it out I thought it would be good to share.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After reading the Swype thread multiple times, it seemed like I was going to have to sack-up and edit settings.db, potentially bricking my Kindle Fire. Well, ignorance, and thick-headedness and a little luck combined to allow me to get it working with what turned out to be a very simple work around.

First, you will of course need to be rooted. I used the method outlined on www.rootkindlefire.com, but others have used Super 1 click, or Zergrush. Whatever floats your particular boat.

Second you'll need the Swype.apk, and a root explorer type app.

Once you've got all that, go ahead and install Swype normally, then navigate to data/app and move the Swype.apk to system/app. Go to a text field and long press to get the input method popup and select Swype, or use Nook Tools app (Swype should start force closing), select kindle keyboard again if you like and reboot, or just reboot (without reselecting Kindle keyboard rebooting takes a while but will happen, just wait). Once you've rebooted, install Swype again. It will tell you it's a system app but your data will be saved blah blah. Once that's done, you should be good to use Swype without issue.

If you want, you can then go ahead and unroot and it should be good. Actually, the only reason you need root is for when you move the apk to system/app. After that, all should work with or without root.

If you get more force closes, just reinstall Swype again. This worked for me on two different kindles so far, so I'm confident, as long as you follow the instructions, it will work for you too.

Edit: fixed Swypeisms
    Hmmmm...

2) Logged in.
    4) Installed keyboard
    8) Rebooted device
    11) Selected Swype

See below:

ibqlR8LDIhKvkL.jpg

The one issue I have is that the ability to minimize is not easy to get to... but if you press and hold the swype key, it will go to Preferences and you can just click the back arrow and you have done the same thing. I'm sure there is some other way to do it, but I've not played with it much. Found you can do this by swiping from the Swype key to the backspace key...

The one issue I have is that the ability to minimize is not easy to get to... but if you press and hold the swype key, it will go to Preferences and you can just click the back arrow and you have done the same thing. I'm sure there is some other way to do it, but I've not played with it much.

Swype from the Swype key to the delete key and Swype will minimize allowing you to access your bottom menu bar.

Swype FC'ing Problem solved...

Once you reboot and Swype FC's reinstall the Swype app by going into system/app and pressing on the Swype.apk then delete the app from system/app. This works for me and it no longer FC's on subsequent reboots.
    Hmmmm...

2) Logged in.
    4) Installed keyboard
    8) Rebooted device
    11) Selected Swype

reboot

U have to follow this process very closely! What i did was take swype installer and swype apk from my sgs2 and put them on my phone and thats how i got it to work for me

its a very touchy process took me many reboots and many recopying and pasting until i got it right, i just kept redoing it until it took