Bootloader rp swrev : 1 .... and general questions

Search This thread

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal
galaxy s3 4.3 sgh i747m with Roger's on twrp recovery

Hi I have rooted my phone two days ago and im new to the rooting world of android there is soooo much stuff to learn !!!

I want to know what does it mean when im in odin mode and I see

qualcomm secureboot enable.... and bootloader rp swrev :1 what does it means actually ? I try to find information but it's not clear i dont want to install a custom rom and brick my phone ...

i have so many question ...

if I install a custom rom does my boot loader have to be unlock or i shouldn't care ?
I do i check if my bootloader is unlock ?
Is the carrier is important when you put a custom rom ?
where I can find the gapps file made for my phone ?

1 rom that interest me is wicked sensation rom http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2286350 it look so sick but once again it says for at&t can I install it if im with rogers because they are the same model ?

it's some little tecnical question that I have can some one help me

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Are you on stock Rogers 4.3? If you are, loading a custom recovery will void the warranty by tripping the Knox counter.

If you have no warranty and just want to install a custom ROM, you can install a custom recovery via Odin and flash the ROM you want.

carlosQC

Feb 11, 2014
Montreal
Are you on stock Rogers 4.3? If you are, loading a custom recovery will void the warranty by tripping the Knox counter.

If you have no warranty and just want to install a custom ROM, you can install a custom recovery via Odin and flash the ROM you want.

Yes im on stock 4.3 but my warranty is over so it doesn't really matter I have TWRP recovery so if I want to flash a rom there is no problem ?

I made a nandroid backup in case

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Yes im on stock 4.3 but my warranty is over so it doesn't really matter I have TWRP recovery so if I want to flash a rom there is no problem ?

I prefer Philz Touch which is based on CWM because I had problems flashing with TWRP.

There should be no problem as long as the ROM is supported by TWRP.

EddyBalls

Sep 28, 2010
Sacramento, CA

You shouldn't just go around flashing all the ROMs you think look or sound cool. I would suggest doing your research beforehand. For example, if you want to install the newer KitKat ROMs, you HAVE to be on a JellyBean bootloader. Click HERE for the bootloader guide if you need it.

Also, your TWRP should always be up to date. The link for the latest (may be outdated, idk...)TWRP is HERE

Lastly, if you ever run into any problems and want to go back to stock, or you just want to start fresh and start from scratch, then use this. This has never failed on me. Click HERE

Remember, YMMV.
Best of luck!

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
I don't think you need a 4.3 bootloader for all ROMs. I have loaded Cyanfox, CM11, and Vidalus which are all 4.4.2 ROMs without issue. I personally prefer to stay away from the 4.3 bootloader because I want the ability to return my phone to stock for warranty purposes.

The OP is running 4.3 stock and the link you provided could brick his phone.

EddyBalls

Sep 28, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I don't think you need a 4.3 bootloader for all ROMs. I have loaded Cyanfox, CM11, and Vidalus which are all 4.4.2 ROMs without issue. I personally prefer to stay away from the 4.3 bootloader because I want the ability to return my phone to stock for warranty purposes.

The OP is running 4.3 stock and the link you provided could brick his phone.

I never said that the OP needed to update his bootloader, I was just mentioning as an example if he wanted to then he would probably need to if he wanted to flash a KitKat ROM.

But you are right, for him, I would stay away from 4.3 since you can't downgrade.