Android iOS compatibility

Search This thread

eprisencc

May 7, 2011
Android wear should be compatible with iOS. Google is a software company and cares about getting their product in the most hands possible. Leaving iOS out defeats this purpose. Google glass supports iOS and so should Android Wear. I have an iPhone 5s and a Nexus 5 and my Samsung gear live is useless when I'm using my iPhone. Even if it's only minimal support (ie Google Now but no extra app tie ins) that would be better than no support at all. Pebble is able to support Android and iOS, so should Android wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eprisencc

May 7, 2011
I bet Apple's iwatch won't be compatible with Android. Really nothing else to say about this.

Sent from my HTC One M8

That's not the point. FaceTime is not supported by Android but hangouts is cross platform. Google glass and Chromecast is cross platform while Apple TV is not. Apple will never make their products cross platform but Google is software/advertising company first. Android wear should be cross platform.

knd775

Mar 24, 2010
I agree. I would like to use Android Wear, but if I can only use it properly when I am using my S4, then I don't want to put that much money into it. I'll probably just get a Pebble.

eprisencc

May 7, 2011
I agree. I would like to use Android Wear, but if I can only use it properly when I am using my S4, then I don't want to put that much money into it. I'll probably just get a Pebble.

I like android wear's interface better which is why I can't bring myself to drop money on the Pebble. However, the Pebble has a leg up on battery life and cross platform compatibility. Microsoft is suppose to come to the wearables market with cross platform compatibility in October. That should be interesting.

HeroOfTime

Jun 29, 2010
Mountain Green
The problem with making it compatible with iOS is that it would need to hook into the notification system of iOS. I highly doubt that Apple makes those APIs available to the general public. Android Wear is basically an extension of notifications and would likely lose all but watch functionality when connected to an iOS device because iOS is a closed ecosystem. It is really a different story than the Hangouts example. Perhaps someone could get it connected to a jailbroken iOS device, but even then, I think it's a stretch.

sprinttouch666

Jan 23, 2008
The bottom line is that Apple would never allow it. They don't block 'Google' Glass from syncing, but they would never allow an app to sync your iPhone with 'Android' Wear.

Furthermore it would be a gimped, unfinished experience on iOS. The Google services needed to make it a decent experience don't exist on iOS. Also, consider this: would it be easier to backport the required service to versions of Android below 4.3 or completely rewrite them for iOS? Obviously backporting. And since there are 3 or 4x as many people using Android 4.2 and below than iOS that would be a much more worthwhile thing to do. So simply put, the effort to support iOS does not seem worth the effort required even if it was possible.

johnus

Nov 25, 2007
Laguna Beach
Even the Pebble has limited functionality on iOS compared to what's possible on Android. The workaround they had to do to offer a Pebble app store to iOS users is horrendous... (every available app is packaged along with the Pebble app. If a developer updates his or her app, iOS users won't get the update until Pebble submits an update of their own and Apple approves it). It operates like any other app store on Android. And iOS still has issues with Caller ID being displayed properly on the Pebble.

BitStern

Jul 25, 2014
Apple won't allow Android compatibility, but if Android smart watches allow iOS compatibility would be a huge benefit. They could release a app communicating with the smart watch. This would be great :)

HippoDevices

Jul 25, 2014
Android wear should be compatible with iOS. Google is a software company and cares about getting their product in the most hands possible. Leaving iOS out defeats this purpose. Google glass supports iOS and so should Android Wear. I have an iPhone 5s and a Nexus 5 and my Samsung gear live is useless when I'm using my iPhone. Even if it's only minimal support (ie Google Now but no extra app tie ins) that would be better than no support at all. Pebble is able to support Android and iOS, so should Android wear.

I agree.If Android smart watches allow iOS compatibility would be great.

eprisencc

May 7, 2011
They wouldn't need to add all the functionality that android has. Maybe update the google search app to display google now notifications to the watch at a bare minimum. I know that android can install more apps to wear because of the main app tie ins. iOS probably wouldn't be able to do all that and that is fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TerminatorTroels

Jul 20, 2014
Sadly i think its all about money. If they make gear, which is only compatible with iOS or Android, they a sure they will earn some extra money, because people cant recyckle their old smartphone products :(

bchliu

Sep 1, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
I think the problem isnt with Google but with Apple themselves that closed source on their Bluetooth stack to stop non-authorised peripherals from working properly. I cannot believe Apple will allow Google to make this work since it will basically eat into their supposedly upcoming iWatch market. They are Apple, afterall and they want nothing more than a monopoly and telling the world to get forked.

Reactions: cynaru

trashchomper

Aug 30, 2014
I think it would be a great idea for android wear to be available for IOS. Although it may require a renaming to avoid confusion (Google Wear?). However besides that, why Samsung doesn't support non galaxy devices with their Gear range is ridiculous, they just cut out most of the android market for no reason at all

sirrx7

Mar 17, 2007
Releasing it with limited compatibility for IOS is a no winner for Google. It would be trashed by IOS users and tech journalists. With Apple releasing their own watch soon to compete with Android Wear, Google stands to benefit nothing by releasing a limited experience that can only do a few things.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bet Apple's iwatch won't be compatible with Android. Really nothing else to say about this.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Sent from my HTC One M8

That's not the point. FaceTime is not supported by Android but hangouts is cross platform. Google glass and Chromecast is cross platform while Apple TV is not. Apple will never make their products cross platform but Google is software/advertising company first. Android wear should be cross platform.

I think the problem isnt with Google but with Apple themselves that closed source on their Bluetooth stack to stop non-authorised peripherals from working properly. I cannot believe Apple will allow Google to make this work since it will basically eat into their supposedly upcoming iWatch market. They are Apple, afterall and they want nothing more than a monopoly and telling the world to get forked.
    pfff apple

Apple is never going to let android to be compatible to any other devices, and they want the iWatch to be really wanted... Apple is like a little kid: wants always more