Jelly bean is making me have second thoughts about the gs3..

Search This thread

blackguy101

Jun 11, 2012
So i just downloaded jelly bean onto my galaxy nexus and I have to admit it really changed my thoughts on it. Everything now on my Gnex is just so fluid and smooth and im LOVING the new features. With this new found love my my galaxy nexus I can honestly say that my interest in the gs3 has dimmed a bit. Im still going to get and enjoy my gs3 when it comes next week non the less but I guess the big gap between the gs3 and the gnexus has started to close up for me. Does anyone else feel this way? And for the people that do own both the gs3 AND the gnexus with jelly bean on it which one do you prefer more?

Zacisblack

Dec 15, 2010
I feel the exact same way. I sold my Verizon Gnex today but last night I couldn't help but flash one last ROM. Jelly Bean is amazing and I could not stop touching my Nexus. At the end of the day I'm glad I got my GSIII and look forward to getting this update. I'm actually considering getting a Nexus 7 to fill my stock Android needs. Here's to hoping the new PDK allows Samsung to release a 4.1 update in a timely manner.

uranis

Mar 19, 2012
I was playing with the nexus all day today and will port my sim back to it and see how Google now works. Jelly bean definitely gave the nexus new life and I couldn't put it down. However, I know jelly bean on the gs3 will be outstanding so I can't wait for those roms. You might be in love now but once the gs3 gets its share you'll be madly in love I'm sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago
This is why I kept my GNex so I can have the best of both worlds...the GS III is an improvement over the GNex hardware wise, but the GNex will always have the latest Google updates, and boy is JellyBean smooth, smooth like silk, its amazing how much more noticeable the OS responsiveness is on JellyBean...the GS III will have great dev support no doubt...but I still don't think it will have the type of Dev support the GNex will always have.

noamaniac

Oct 14, 2007
NJ
This is why I kept my GNex so I can have the best of both worlds...the GS III is an improvement over the GNex hardware wise, but the GNex will always have the latest Google updates, and boy is JellyBean smooth, smooth like silk, its amazing how much more noticeable the OS responsiveness is on JellyBean...the GS III will have great dev support no doubt...but I still don't think it will have the type of Dev support the GNex will always have.

the gs3 is the top selling non iphone ever sold. i think dev support won't be a problem :p

mastarifla

Oct 3, 2010
Dallas, TX
the gs3 is the top selling non iphone ever sold. i think dev support won't be a problem :p

Agreed, as far as US phones are concerned I think we will be alright

Here's hoping Google releases the 4th generation nexus on AT&T though, or at least a google play GSM version, I'd grab that in a heartbeat, loved my Nexus S 4G while I was on Sprint.

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago

I didnt say it would be, but the Nexus line of phones has direct dev support from google, and will always get updates and fixes first. Case in point look at Jellybean being fully functional on the Gnex already. Theres a reason the nexus lines exist...they are developer phones. The S line of phones is the Flagship mainstream line.

fraize

Apr 17, 2009
Leesburg, Virginia
I upgraded my GNex with Jelly Bean the night before my GS3 arrived at my door. I was torn, to say the least.

I still have my GNex sitting in my messenger bag, just waiting to be powered up. My GS3 sits, in my hand, running *ugh* Touchwiz, and is feeling noticeably less advanced than JB. It's all I can do to stay with my new phone and not rip the sim out and go play with my Nexus again.

You make a good point though - dev support for this phone will be huge, but what worries me is that the AT&T LTE version won't get the same developer love that the international GSM version will get. Already I see they're attempting to port JB to the i9300, but that doesn't mean that effort will port over to the i747.

ReggieTee

Jul 25, 2010
McKinney, TX
I'm sure AOSP JB will be ported to the SIII fairly soon after Google releases source which should be mid-July after they officially release JB.

Ramondel

Dec 3, 2011
Nashville
First I think that Google's focus will shift once they get comfortable with Motorola Mobile now that they own them and they will shift there development around one of there flagship phones. With regards to the point about GSM dev over US lets keep in mind that the international market has a month on US market with phone in hand. We will catch up and keep even with them. Just saying.

Jahspree

Jan 2, 2011
ATL
Its already been ported to the one x so I don't think it will be a problem with us getting it,
Granted its the international one x but I have faith in our devs.

So i just downloaded jelly bean onto my galaxy nexus and I have to admit it really changed my thoughts on it. Everything now on my Gnex is just so fluid and smooth and im LOVING the new features. With this new found love my my galaxy nexus I can honestly say that my interest in the gs3 has dimmed a bit. Im still going to get and enjoy my gs3 when it comes next week non the less but I guess the big gap between the gs3 and the gnexus has started to close up for me. Does anyone else feel this way? And for the people that do own both the gs3 AND the gnexus with jelly bean on it which one do you prefer more?

Don't let it question your SGSIII decision...

If the Gnex is "just so fluid and smooth" imagine how great the SGSIII will be if/when you put AOSP Jelly bean on it.

The thing about getting the top of the line is not just that you get the best phone today, but you also future-prof yourself (as much as one can, given the cell phone market). Perhaps performance differences between a 4.1 GNex and a 4.1 SGSIII will be negligible (maybe not, but maybe). But just think towards the next android version, and the next. You're going to want that 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 and 2GB of RAM eventually, even if it seems like overkill today.

Besides, the SGSIII has other benefits aside from just performance. It's also got a much better camera, will have (if not already) a much better accessory selection, expandable memory, etc. etc. etc.

djkinetic

Feb 26, 2011
Chicago

If the Gnex is "just so fluid and smooth" imagine how great the SGSIII will be if/when you put AOSP Jelly bean on it.

The thing about getting the top of the line is not just that you get the best phone today, but you also future-prof yourself (as much as one can, given the cell phone market). Perhaps performance differences between a 4.1 GNex and a 4.1 SGSIII will be negligible (maybe not, but maybe). But just think towards the next android version, and the next. You're going to want that 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 and 2GB of RAM eventually, even if it seems like overkill today.

Besides, the SGSIII has other benefits aside from just performance. It's also got a much better camera, will have (if not already) a much better accessory selection, expandable memory, etc. etc. etc.

personally by then ill have the next nexus lol....like alot of other users here I tend to switch phones every 4-6 months...so by then a Quad S4 will be out most likely and the GS III will be dated so to speak

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
I feel the exact same way. I sold my Verizon Gnex today but last night I couldn't help but flash one last ROM. Jelly Bean is amazing and I could not stop touching my Nexus. At the end of the day I'm glad I got my GSIII and look forward to getting this update. I'm actually considering getting a Nexus 7 to fill my stock Android needs. Here's to hoping the new PDK allows Samsung to release a 4.1 update in a timely manner.

I don't own a GNex but do have a Nexus S 4G and really like the Nexus line. The release of JB has made me second guess my SGS3 purchase ever so slightly because of the pure nature of the Gnex. Nonetheless, we will eventually get JB for the SGS3 and I think patience will pay off in the end because overall the SGS3 is a better phone IMHO.

Like you, I am considering a Nexus 7. I just need to sell my Samsung galaxy tab 7 plus first. Anyone interested? :laugh:

argylesocks

May 9, 2009
Live Free or Die
I'm with you on this.... I have both sitting on my desk at the moment (just bought the S3 for my wife). It sure is sweet, but honestly, I love my GN... and JB is just amazing.

manny05

Feb 21, 2011

My thoughts exactly. I can't wait to get this update on my gs3

sent from my GALAXY SIII

mlin

Dec 27, 2007
It's great to hear so many positive reviews of JB! Can't wait!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Man you just can't make some people happy. Here you have, arguably one of the best phones available currently, and you complain about an incremental update to android OS?
    Maybe you missed the whole incredible thing about android...you can change it to however you like it to be. I'm currently running Nova Launcher and ICS stock apps in place of touchwizz and I can barely feel the touchwizz skin on my phone anymore.
    Not only that but the phone is seriously only 9 days old. Give developers a second to drink a beer and launch into development. My old EVO 4G sucked at first but through developer updates lasted me 2 full years before I convinced myself I needed to update.

We will get JB soon enough, the developer support will be huge! In the meanwhile, enjoy your great phone. A lot of you sound like spoiled sweet 16 girls that got a BMW in blue when they wanted the white one!

Software and hardware will always advance fast than you can fiscally soundly keep up with.

I'm going to enjoy my S3, it will be difficult...but somehow I know I can fight my way through the beautiful screen, fast processor, 2 GB of ram, and a huge developer support that is soon to follow.

Enjoy what you have and don't lament over what you don't have and life will seem much richer.

If we don't have it by the time i get my phone, I will port it myself.
    Wow you would give up all the upgraded hardware and specs just for a smoother Android experience? As far as I can see from videos and reviews, Jelly Bean really is just a 0.1 incremental update. It's smooth yeah, but still hangs up when opening the app drawer. I had no problems with my GS2 so making the phone smoother is only gonna improve the experience marginally for me. The type of transition also makes a difference, and I don't really like the transitions in Android in general anyway. Had used a WP7 phone for a while and it was butter smooth, but once the glitz and glamor settles, its all the same to me, as long as the phone meets a certain smoothness threshold (not that high for me) that I can easily adjust to, and the phone in general is fast.

The GS3 will be getting Jelly Bean from custom ROMs and officially anyway. The camera, build quality, battery life, 3d graphics power, non-UI processing power, screen size, speaker and earpiece quality, GPS lock, microSD expansion and removable battery, etc. can't just be easily flashed onto the Gnex.

Just saying. Once the Jelly Bean novelty wears off, you might miss the other stuff...