Wifi Tether Fully Working COnfirmed!

Search This thread
For browsing, I change the UA setting in internet explorer to nexus 7 android and don't use ie for anything else. This make Windows update work fine. I use chrome for anything else. Set the UA setting to MAC-OSX and YouTube, flash and whatever works just fine. sometimes I experience a hiccup with Facebook. When that happens, I just go from HTTP to HTTPS in the address bar and everything works just fine.

Samsung Galaxy S3
T-Mobile (SGH-T999)
Android ICS 4.0.4
Stock firmware
Stock kernel
Clockworkmod ROOT
Unlimited TLK + TXT + Data Family
16 GB internal
32 GB external

Sent via XDA Premium [HD] on Android.

cr6

Sep 27, 2010
Yeah, FoxFi works just fine. (Paid version)
I might add I'm on Verizon, so I can't verify if it works on Tmo.

tap'n

Last edited:

prototype.77

Sep 18, 2011
Galveston
I have been using Chrome for a couple of months now changing the user agent and it works fine. The only thing that gets on my nerves is when opening another tab you have to change the user agent on that tab as well.

ferlogan

Feb 24, 2011
houston
Hi guys! Have a galaxy s3 unrooted . But I want to root the phone so I can WiFi tethering just want to know if this method work for sure before I root the phone .

Now that I have unlimited data I want to use the internet on my desktop :) thank you guys

please reply thanks! !

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Hi guys! Have a galaxy s3 unrooted . But I want to root the phone so I can WiFi tethering just want to know if this method work for sure before I root the phone .

Now that I have unlimited data I want to use the internet on my desktop :) thank you guys

please reply thanks! !

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Sorry for the delay!! If you use T-Mobile, they only filter HTTP requests when the User Agent (UA) says the OS and browser are Windows-based. Can't say for sure about other carriers Rooting works. Without root, you're limited to using the stock tether, which blocks all requests without approval. Root, bypasses the carriers software and allows you to use your own software to tether. So .. yes it works. I manage to average about 150-300 GB a month due to tether and video streaming apps. Good luck!

Reactions: MikeJennni

MikeJennni

Jul 9, 2011
Vancouver , WA
Sorry for the delay!! If you use T-Mobile, they only filter HTTP requests when the User Agent (UA) says the OS and browser are Windows-based. Can't say for sure about other carriers Rooting works. Without root, you're limited to using the stock tether, which blocks all requests without approval. Root, bypasses the carriers software and allows you to use your own software to tether. So .. yes it works. I manage to average about 150-300 GB a month due to tether and video streaming apps. Good luck!

I am able to hotspot kindle and ipad but not on laptop. What exactly are the steps to changing user agent? I currently use Firefox.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Thanks. Do I email this to home and open it in my browser. This link wont open on my phone.

open it from your computer. It's an application extension for google chrome. If you save the .crx file ...or whatever it is.. and load it in chrome, it will enable the UA extension. when it's enabled, you see a little icon in the upper right corner. click it and select a different agent... like safari, or nexus 7 ... or you can create your own. Here's the code for the one I use:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-gb; GT-I9300 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)

MikeJennni

Jul 9, 2011
Vancouver , WA
open it from your computer. It's an application extension for google chrome. If you save the .crx file ...or whatever it is.. and load it in chrome, it will enable the UA extension. when it's enabled, you see a little icon in the upper right corner. click it and select a different agent... like safari, or nexus 7 ... or you can create your own. Here's the code for the one I use:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-gb; GT-I9300 Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)

Thanks ill try it tonight

MikeJennni

Jul 9, 2011
Vancouver , WA
Help

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

When I try playing hulu it says im using internet explorer version 6. Then wants me to upgrade ie 6 and then links me to install a cell phone browser any ideas?

Help

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

When I try playing hulu it says im using internet explorer version 6. Then wants me to upgrade ie 6 and then links me to install a cell phone browser any ideas?

Try setting your user agent to safari for Hulu. Either that, or use chrome browser.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: IF YOU STILL GETTING THE MSG ABOUT THE TMOBILE OFFER OF 14.99 THE SOLUTION IS:

SOLITION #1: IF YOU ARE USING GOOGLE CHROME AND STILL WANT TO USE GOOGLE CHROME AS YOUR DEFAULT BROWSER YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE USER AGENT. TO DO SO YOU OPEN GOOGLE CHROME CLICK ON MENU THEN TOOLS, THEN DEVELOPER TOOLS, THE A WINDOW ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE IS GOING TO PUP UP THEN CLICK ON SETTINGS (THERE IS A SETTING BUTTOM ON THE RIGHT BOTTOM) THEN YOU ARE GOING TO SEE 3 TABS: GENERAL -OVERRIDES-SHORTCUTS, CLICK ON OVERRIDES THEN YOU CLICK ON USER AGENT AND CHANGE THE USER AGENT TO ANYTHING THATS IT!

SOLUTION # 2 :GO TO WWW.APPLE.COM AND DOWNLOAD SAFARI BROWSER SIMPLE AND USE IT! THATS IT!!
    ALSO IF YOU DONT LIKE SAFARI BROWSER YOU CAN ALWAYS DOWNLOAD FIREFOX BROWSER!!

1ST - ROOT YOUR PHONE!!!!!!!
    2ND-DOWNLOAD THIS APK FROM THE MARKET OR FROM HERE http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ VERSION 3.1 BETA14
    3RD-INSTALL IT ON YOUR PHONE
    4TH- OPEN THE APP HIT MENU-SETTINGS- CHANGE DEVICE PROFILE AND SET YOUR PHONE TO SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS (CDMA/LTE). NOW GO BACK AND START TETHERING!!!! THATS IT SIMPLE WORKS GREAT AND FAST!! CONECTS ANY DEVICE FAST!!

NOTE:

NOTE:IF YOU GUYS UPDATED YOUR PHONE NOW PUT THE PROFILE TO SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS GSM INSTEAD OF THE CDMA/LTE !!!!
    Just fyi.. Someone else on another thread and now me got a push msg from using Wifi Tether.. Pretty much says stop or they'll block tethering.. I've only been using it for about 2 days b4 I got the msg

Anyone else get it or have a work around?
    try using a different browser on your pc.. that happens to me on time but with a galazy s2 and it was because i was using google chrome, so i swithc to a different browser and problem solved!!!! JUST FYI
    Does this only work on the t mobile version our will it work on Verizons as well?
    Thanks!

tap'n

so far i know this method works on sprint and tmobile.. havent tried verizon or att yet
    So wifi has been disabled in jb?

NOTE: IF YOU STILL GETTING THE MSG ABOUT THE TMOBILE OFFER OF 14.99 THE SOLUTION IS:

SOLITION #1: IF YOU ARE USING GOOGLE CHROME AND STILL WANT TO USE GOOGLE CHROME AS YOUR DEFAULT BROWSER YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE USER AGENT. TO DO SO YOU OPEN GOOGLE CHROME CLICK ON MENU THEN TOOLS, THEN DEVELOPER TOOLS, THE A WINDOW ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE IS GOING TO PUP UP THEN CLICK ON SETTINGS (THERE IS A SETTING BUTTOM ON THE RIGHT BOTTOM) THEN YOU ARE GOING TO SEE 3 TABS: GENERAL -OVERRIDES-SHORTCUTS, CLICK ON OVERRIDES THEN YOU CLICK ON USER AGENT AND CHANGE THE USER AGENT TO ANYTHING THATS IT!

SOLUTION # 2 :GO TO WWW.APPLE.COM AND DOWNLOAD SAFARI BROWSER SIMPLE AND USE IT! THATS IT!!
    ALSO IF YOU DONT LIKE SAFARI BROWSER YOU CAN ALWAYS DOWNLOAD FIREFOX BROWSER!!

1ST - ROOT YOUR PHONE!!!!!!!
    2ND-DOWNLOAD THIS APK FROM THE MARKET OR FROM HERE http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ VERSION 3.1 BETA14
    3RD-INSTALL IT ON YOUR PHONE
    4TH- OPEN THE APP HIT MENU-SETTINGS- CHANGE DEVICE PROFILE AND SET YOUR PHONE TO SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS (CDMA/LTE). NOW GO BACK AND START TETHERING!!!! THATS IT SIMPLE WORKS GREAT AND FAST!! CONECTS ANY DEVICE FAST!!

NOTE:

NOTE:IF YOU GUYS UPDATED YOUR PHONE NOW PUT THE PROFILE TO SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS GSM INSTEAD OF THE CDMA/LTE !!!!

Works perfectly bro :D