Misconception about Gorilla Glass

Search This thread

adotkdotjh

Nov 7, 2010
It's up to you to decide whether you want a screen protector or not, but there were too many people with misconceptions over at the discussion thread. Please discuss Protector vs No protector over there.

Here are a couple of misconceptions about Gorilla Glass and it's scratch resistance (source links below).

------------------------------------------------------------

Misconception 1: Gorilla Glass does not scratch???!?!?!?!?!?

Absolutely FALSE. While it's true that Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant to many materials, some will scratch Gorilla Glass. Gorilla Glass is reported to have a hardness of 7 (some say it is as high as 9. I've reached out to Corning for their "official" value, since they only use Vickers to measure hardness) in the Mohs scale, so any material with higher hardness, such as sand, diamond, or other minerals , will scratch your screen.

So, if you drop your phone, and if it happens to land on a grain of sand, it will scratch your Gorilla Glass screen. Or, if a grain a sand goes into your pocket where you keep your phone, then the screen may be scratched.

To those who didn't learn hardness scale in elementary school: materials with lower hardness than 7, such as steel knife, coins, or car keys, will never be able to scratch Gorilla Glass no matter how POINTY and SHARP it is. You can shatter the glass using a steel knife with enough force, but you cannot scratch it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Misconception 2: The oleophobic coating, not the glass itself, is what's causing the scratches, so use sand paper to grind the coating away!!!!!!!!!

DON'T!. According to Corning's own documents (link below), the anti-brasion/oleophobic coating on the Gorilla Glass actually provides better scratch resistance than "naked" glass surface.

Corning performed an experiment where half of the Gorilla glass was treated with the coating and the other half was naked Gorilla Glass, and they rubbed silicon carbide sand paper on it. You can see the resulting picture on the link below. To use their words, there was a "significant scratching on the non-coated region whereas few visible scratches existed on the coating".

If you already have scratches on your Gorilla Glass screen, then it would've been worse had the coating not been there.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that clears up.

Sources:
Source 1 - Corning's own documentation. Look at "Abrasion Resistance" section.
Source 2 - Post from Erica Griffin

Last edited:
It's up to you to decide whether you want a screen protector or not, but there were too many people with misconceptions over at the discussion thread.

Here are a couple of misconceptions about Gorilla Glass and it's scratch resistance (source links below).

Absolutely FALSE. While it's true that Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant to many materials, some will scratch Gorilla Glass. Gorilla Glass has a hardness of 7 in the Mohs scale, so any material with higher hardness, such as sand or diamond , will scratch your screen.

So, if you drop your phone, and if it happens to land on a grain of sand, it will scratch your Gorilla Glass screen. Or, if a grain a sand goes into your pocket where you keep your phone, then the screen can be scratched.

To those who didn't learn hardness scale in elementary school, materials with lower hardness than 7, such as steel knife, coins, or car keys, will never be able to scratch Gorilla Glass no matter how POINTY and SHARP it is.

Misconception 2: The oleophobic coating is what's causing the scratches, so use sand paper to grind the coating away!!!!!!!!!

DON'T!. According to Corning's own documents (link below), the oleophobic coating on the Gorilla Glass actually provides better scratch resistance than "naked" glass surface.

Corning performed an experiment where half of the Gorilla glass was treated with the coating and the other half was naked Gorilla Glass, and they rubbed silicon carbide sand paper on it. You can see the resulting picture on the link below. To use their words, there was a "significant scratching on the non-coated region whereas few visible scratches existed on the coating".

If you already have scratches on your Gorilla Glass screen, then it would've been worse had the coating not been there.

I hope that clears up.

Sources:

Is this Only for Galxy s2 or for all phones which has Gorilla Glass?? Post this in Android general forum

Reactions: imilic and trillo69

crisGS2

Feb 12, 2012
Torino
Gorilla glass has a good resistance when you try to break it or the phone falls down, but it isn't indestructible.

siedus

Nov 27, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S10
[B said:
Misconception 2: The oleophobic coating is what's causing the scratches, so use sand paper to grind the coating away!!!!!!!!!

:confused: Anyone who did use sand paper on his/her SCREEN should consider not buying a phone at all....

Thanks for the 'crystal' explanation though
:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-9100

jaykresge

Nov 8, 2010
Gorilla glass was originally developed to be shatter resistant. It's debatable if it offers more scratch resistance than regular glass, and it may actually be slightly less scratch resistant than regular glass. In most case (not all) higher shatter resistance = less scratch resistance (IE, plastic). I've been telling people for awhile that if you have a glass screen, a good screen protector is a good way to get peace of mind.

Poroto

Dec 13, 2011
To those who didn't learn hardness scale in elementary school, materials with lower hardness than 7, such as steel knife, coins, or car keys, will never be able to scratch Gorilla Glass no matter how POINTY and SHARP it is.

So basically if i grab a steel knife and scratch my phone with all possible strenght on earth, my phone will not scratch ?

B

brandonjuraimi

Gorilla glass was intended to be put together with stuff like your keys, coins etc :confused:

Sent from my GT-N7005 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

Anyway, despite having gorilla glass, i still use a screen protector. I dont want to get my screen dirty and oily :D

jaykresge

Nov 8, 2010
So basically if i grab a steel knife and scratch my phone with all possible strenght on earth, my phone will not scratch ?

Force can lead to shattering, but you won't scratch it. Ask yourself this, how many scratches are on your car's windshield? How about the windows of your house? Take your car keys or even a steak knife and run the edge along your house or car windows. Any scratches?

Yes, if you take it and stab glass with all of your strength, you have the potential of shattering it. You can do the same by throwing a rock. But that's not the same as scratching.

Reactions: Poroto

adotkdotjh

Nov 7, 2010
Force can lead to shattering, but you won't scratch it. Ask yourself this, how many scratches are on your car's windshield? How about the windows of your house? Take your car keys or even a steak knife and run the edge along your house or car windows. Any scratches?

Yes, if you take it and stab glass with all of your strength, you have the potential of shattering it. You can do the same by throwing a rock. But that's not the same as scratching.

Exactly. There is a difference between fracturing and scratching.

B

brandonjuraimi

That is why phones like s3 with gorilla glass still shatter when dropped.

FrankStealth

Jun 30, 2012
I posted this in the screen protector discussion thread, mentioned by the OP:

"One more thing and i'm done with this! I found out how it is now, according to:

[1] http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingswork/f/What-Is-Gorilla-Glass.htm

[2] http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

[3] http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand

Mohs scale:

[1]
Gorilla Glass - 9

[2]
Random metals - 0.2 to 8

Tungsten - 9 to? 9.5
Titanium - 9.5 to? 10
Diamond - 10

Quartz (SiO2) - 7

[3]
SAND (composition: mainly SiO2 + other rocks and minerals, location dependent) - 7 to 10!

CHEERS!

So in CONCLUSION: if you happen to rub sand, containing diamond (extreme case) on your phone, it will scratch.

I also found this: "Misconceptions about Gorilla Glass" on XDA http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1866049 He sais that gorilla glass is 7, but i found out it is 9 [1].

He talked about another aspect that he sais is on cornings own website, that what actually scratch on a gorilla glass is the oleophibic coating. Oleophobic coating? Maaan my phone always looks like a friteuse! Maybe screen protectors do better... Also maybe thats why some sources say its a 7.

My conclusion: i wouldnt use a screen protector to cover my good looking screen. Im always pretty careful with it, not dropping it on floor or concrete. I very rarely to never have dirt in my pockets. Keys, lighters and such, wont hurt it. So who cares about protectors? I dont."

================
GT-i9100 ICS 4.0.3

Last edited:
Reactions: Jadefalkon
B

brandonjuraimi

"One more thing and i'm done with this! I found out how it is now, according to:

Mohs scale:

[1]
Gorilla Glass - 9

[2]
Random metals - 0.2 to 8

Tungsten - 9 to? 9.5
Titanium - 9.5 to? 10
Diamond - 10

Quartz (SiO2) - 7

[3]
SAND (composition: mainly SiO2 + other rocks and minerals, location dependent) - 7 to 10!

CHEERS!

So in CONCLUSION: if you happen to rub sand, containing diamond (extreme case) on your phone, it will scratch.

I also found this: "Misconceptions about Gorilla Glass" on XDA http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1866049 He sais that gorilla glass is 7, but i found out it is 9 [1].

He talked about another aspect that he sais is on cornings own website, that what actually scratch on a gorilla glass is the oleophibic coating. Oleophobic coating? Maaan my phone always looks like a friteuse! Maybe screen protectors do better... Also maybe thats why some sources say its a 7.

My conclusion: i wouldnt use a screen protector to cover my good looking screen. Im always pretty careful with it, not dropping it on floor or concrete. I very rarely to never have dirt in my pockets. Keys, lighters and such, wont hurt it. So who cares about protectors? I dont."

================
GT-i9100 ICS 4.0.3

I dont care if it is gorilla glass or not, I will just put a screen protector to protect the screen from dirt :thumbup:

FrankStealth

Jun 30, 2012
I dont care if it is gorilla glass or not, I will just put a screen protector to protect the screen from dirt :thumbup:

I dont care if the air is breathable, i will use a gas mask. Thanks for usefull post in right thread. Lets all produce as much garbage as possible for no good reason! (Including protectors)

================
GT-i9100 ICS 4.0.3

Last edited:

Leviathan13

Nov 7, 2012
its all about peace of mind baby....and with a good quality screen protector there is little difference really

FrankStealth

Jun 30, 2012
True, ignorance is bliss. Please post comments on screen protectors in the do we really need a screen protector thread mentionrd by the op.

And @ OP. Please throughly rethink your article...
Or at least mention that sand mainly contains quartz which is 7 (gorilla glass is 9 and cant logically be 7, because else we would use normal glass which is mainly quarz + additives and it's a bit under 7), and sand in general has 7 to 10 depending on composition.
================
GT-i9100 ICS 4.0.3

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's up to you to decide whether you want a screen protector or not, but there were too many people with misconceptions over at the discussion thread. Please discuss Protector vs No protector over there.

Absolutely FALSE. While it's true that Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant to many materials, some will scratch Gorilla Glass. Gorilla Glass is reported to have a hardness of 7 (some say it is as high as 9. I've reached out to Corning for their "official" value, since they only use Vickers to measure hardness) in the Mohs scale, so any material with higher hardness, such as sand, diamond, or other minerals , will scratch your screen.

So, if you drop your phone, and if it happens to land on a grain of sand, it will scratch your Gorilla Glass screen. Or, if a grain a sand goes into your pocket where you keep your phone, then the screen may be scratched.

To those who didn't learn hardness scale in elementary school: materials with lower hardness than 7, such as steel knife, coins, or car keys, will never be able to scratch Gorilla Glass no matter how POINTY and SHARP it is. You can shatter the glass using a steel knife with enough force, but you cannot scratch it.

Misconception 2: The oleophobic coating, not the glass itself, is what's causing the scratches, so use sand paper to grind the coating away!!!!!!!!!

DON'T!. According to Corning's own documents (link below), the anti-brasion/oleophobic coating on the Gorilla Glass actually provides better scratch resistance than "naked" glass surface.

I hope that clears up.

Sources:
    It's up to you to decide whether you want a screen protector or not, but there were too many people with misconceptions over at the discussion thread.

Absolutely FALSE. While it's true that Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant to many materials, some will scratch Gorilla Glass. Gorilla Glass has a hardness of 7 in the Mohs scale, so any material with higher hardness, such as sand or diamond , will scratch your screen.

So, if you drop your phone, and if it happens to land on a grain of sand, it will scratch your Gorilla Glass screen. Or, if a grain a sand goes into your pocket where you keep your phone, then the screen can be scratched.

DON'T!. According to Corning's own documents (link below), the oleophobic coating on the Gorilla Glass actually provides better scratch resistance than "naked" glass surface.

I hope that clears up.

Sources:

Is this Only for Galxy s2 or for all phones which has Gorilla Glass?? Post this in Android general forum

Mohs scale:

[1]
    Gorilla Glass - 9

[2]
    Random metals - 0.2 to 8

Tungsten - 9 to? 9.5
    Titanium - 9.5 to? 10
    Diamond - 10

Quartz (SiO2) - 7

[3]

CHEERS!

================
    GT-i9100 ICS 4.0.3