[Q] Why note 3 is so slow after 4.4.2 update ?

Search This thread

iamsuper123

Jun 28, 2011
I received AT&T OTA update for 4.4.2 and after that I see that my phone is really slow. anyone else experiencing the same issues ?

Also, if I instal the custom ROM, I will lose all the S-Pen features ? Is there any ROM that offers any S-Pen features ?

theorioles33

Feb 15, 2011
I received AT&T OTA update for 4.4.2 and after that I see that my phone is really slow. anyone else experiencing the same issues ?

Also, if I instal the custom ROM, I will lose all the S-Pen features ? Is there any ROM that offers any S-Pen features ?

I heard about people having issues after the OTA. Unfortunately if you took the OTA, you cannot root therefore you cannot install a custom ROM which is too bad. I am running Dynamic Kat and Dynamic Kat Xtreme which are extremely fast with minimal if any issues.

iamsuper123

Jun 28, 2011
I heard about people having issues after the OTA. Unfortunately if you took the OTA, you cannot root therefore you cannot install a custom ROM which is too bad. I am running Dynamic Kat and Dynamic Kat Xtreme which are extremely fast with minimal if any issues.

Wait..I cannot root my note 3 ? How this is possible ? I thought it is possible to root any phone as long as custom ROM is available (irrespective of stock android) ? I cannot root my phone with roms like cyanogenmod etc ?

Last edited:

theorioles33

Feb 15, 2011
Wait..I cannot root my note 3 ? How this is possible ? I thought it is possible to root any phone as long as custom ROM is available (irrespective of stock android) ? I cannot root my phone with roms like cyanogenmod etc ?

Not in the case of the Note 3 and the latest KitKat update from AT&T. You needed to be rooted on 4.3 and update to Kitkat via a custom ROM. Right now you and everyone else who took the OTA update are stuck. Sorry man. Read around the forums. You will see the sad truth.

LuckyColdJohnson

Dec 27, 2012
Garland, TX

Not if you have the At&t Note 3. (Locked Bootloader)
Your out of luck until Kingo comes out with a Root solution or someone else
Still you cant run a custom ROM that needs a kernal.
You can only install TouchWiz roms. FOREVER no exceptions until bootloader is unlocked which will never happen EVER.
Yes S Pen work with our custom ROMs. (TouchWiz) we cant install CM on these phones period.

So here is your situation. You have installed the wonderful Stock 4.4.2 from At&t and are stuck.
I would factory reset it (Stock Recovery) and see if that helps.

Thats it.

iamsuper123

Jun 28, 2011
Not if you have the At&t Note 3. (Locked Bootloader)
Your out of luck until Kingo comes out with a Root solution or someone else
Still you cant run a custom ROM that needs a kernal.
You can only install TouchWiz roms. FOREVER no exceptions until bootloader is unlocked which will never happen EVER.
Yes S Pen work with our custom ROMs. (TouchWiz) we cant install CM on these phones period.

So here is your situation. You have installed the wonderful Stock 4.4.2 from At&t and are stuck.
I would factory reset it (Stock Recovery) and see if that helps.

Thats it.

Oh no..this is really strange and very surprising to me that there is no way to install custom ROM on AT&T note 3 with OTA 4.4.2 update.

• So, in the update they have locked the bootloader completely which cannot be unlocked ? Because in normal rooting process, we usually unlock the booatloader first, it can't be done in this case ?
  • Is this restriction added from AT&T or Samsung ?

LuckyColdJohnson

Dec 27, 2012
Garland, TX
Oh no..this is really strange and very surprising to me that there is no way to install custom ROM on AT&T note 3 with OTA 4.4.2 update.

• So, in the update they have locked the bootloader completely which cannot be unlocked ? Because in normal rooting process, we usually unlock the booatloader first, it can't be done in this case ?
[/QUOTE

When this Phone first came out the bootloader was locked (By At&t)
This new update didn't do that. You just can't root your phone on the OTA 4.4.2 right now.
Once you get it rooted, you can install SafeStrap 3.72 and flash a custom rom.

iamsuper123

Jun 28, 2011

[/QUOTE

You just can't root your phone on the OTA 4.4.2 right now.
Once you get it rooted, you can install SafeStrap 3.72 and flash a custom rom.

I am a little confused. if I can't root this phone then what do you mean by once you get it rooted ? if it is not possible then how I will get this phone rooted at first place and install SafeStrap 3.72 ?

LuckyColdJohnson

Dec 27, 2012
Garland, TX
Man oh man. It's okay. I got you.
You can still root this phone. You just have to wait for someone to figure it out like Kingo.
We rooted before the OTA and I froze the update apk.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 PM ----------

I installed a custom KITKAT rom and enjoying my phone a lot. Just have to stay involved in these forms and read read read. You will be fine. Check Kingo android root online to see if the released a new version that will root it for you. Locked bootloader means no custom kernels, there for AOSP, CM and others won't work. Only Touch wiz.

iamsuper123

Jun 28, 2011
Man oh man. It's okay. I got you.
You can still root this phone. You just have to wait for someone to figure it out like Kingo.
We rooted before the OTA and I froze the update apk.

Oh ok..so Kingo is working on it and still not done ?

Also..what you say..you froze the update apk..what do you mean by that ? when you rooter the note 3 before OTA, you successfully completed that and now you are running custom ROM ?

LuckyColdJohnson

Dec 27, 2012
Garland, TX
I froze the system app that updates automatically. So I wouldn't get NB4 or what you have. Using TBU

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Read my friend. You will get it. It's what I did. I don't flame people though. Surprised nobody has flamed in here but you are learning I guess. Please hit thanks on my post if I have helped you. Thanks goes far. Cya. Have a good weekend

iamsuper123

Jun 28, 2011
Is there any way to make the performance of note 3 faster and less sluggish (OTHER THAN FACTORY RESET) ?

I have tried doing a factory reset but still note 3 performance is not good even tho this is a great specs phone.

Face_Plant

Mar 24, 2014
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Turn off all of the boatware in the settings menu. That should help some. Also, go into developer options and change the animation scales to .5 or off. That won't really make your phone faster, but it will seem faster. There's a thread in the general section about making your phone super fast.

iamsuper123

Jun 28, 2011
Turn off all of the boatware in the settings menu. That should help some. Also, go into developer options and change the animation scales to .5 or off. That won't really make your phone faster, but it will seem faster. There's a thread in the general section about making your phone super fast.

1) What does this animation option does ?

2) How to disable the boatware ? How to disable app as I do not see disable button in app settings for any app ? can you please give me a test example please ?

Face_Plant

Mar 24, 2014
Google Pixel 8 Pro
The changing the animation times will make the animations between switching windows faster or slower. Changing them to .5 will make them faster and off will make them nonexistent so there will be no animations between windows. When the animations are faster/off it will make the phone seem faster. Not sure if my explanation is clear enough, but if you try it you'll see what I mean.

To turn stuff off, go to the settings menu, application manager, and pick an application. For example, let's say you pick HP Print Plugin. Near the top right of the screen you will see a button that says "turn off". Push this and the application will be disabled. Some of them you cannot turn off. Be careful which ones you turn off because it can cause problems if you disable the wrong thing.

iamsuper123

Jun 28, 2011
The changing the animation times will make the animations between switching windows faster or slower. Changing them to .5 will make them faster and off will make them nonexistent so there will be no animations between windows. When the animations are faster/off it will make the phone seem faster. Not sure if my explanation is clear enough, but if you try it you'll see what I mean.

To turn stuff off, go to the settings menu, application manager, and pick an application. For example, let's say you pick HP Print Plugin. Near the top right of the screen you will see a button that says "turn off". Push this and the application will be disabled. Some of them you cannot turn off. Be careful which ones you turn off because it can cause problems if you disable the wrong thing.

Thank you, I found the settings.

iamsuper123

Jun 28, 2011
any update for rooting AT&T note 3 running stock 4.4.2 ? anyone figure it out with any custom rom ?