Z2 headphone sound quality (with mod) vs. M8

Search This thread

jimxms

Nov 25, 2008
Hi all,

I currently own the m8 and love it for its awesome sound quality, however the camera is absolute pants!

The only other phone I'd consider is the z2 but I am worried that the volume and sound quality via headphones will be disappointing. Can anyone tell me if the z2 with the sound mod will be as good as the m8?

Thanks

xarfrost

Mar 16, 2012
Hi all,

I currently own the m8 and love it for its awesome sound quality, however the camera is absolute pants!

The only other phone I'd consider is the z2 but I am worried that the volume and sound quality via headphones will be disappointing. Can anyone tell me if the z2 with the sound mod will be as good as the m8?

Thanks

I would admit loudspeakers are not as good as M8. But with the headphones, its so much better, background noise is cancelled out thus youre getting more out of your music. Bass and stuff. And its comfortable too. Just a small tip, try listening to music on landscape while on loudspeaker, magically improves music experience. No tricks, no software magic. Just how your ear works. Try it!

lynxboy

Oct 7, 2009
Leeds
Hi all,

Thanks

When I first purchased the phone I was very disappointed with the sound quality coming from a Wolfson Galaxy S3. Now with RomAur (Beats + Sound Mod + Viper) and Doomkernel (Faux Sound) I am very happy.

I use a combination of Faux/Viper/Walkman settings in combination with the preinstalled Beats and Z2 Sound Mod and the audio quality now rivals my S3 and surpassed my HTC One M7 (via my Sony ZX-600 headphones). Can't speak for the M8 sadly.

TL:DR - Z2 sound quality stock is disappointing. With mods it's great.

Regards.

Zentheld

May 20, 2014
Both phones use the same DAC. The difference in sound comes from software and the headphone port. The Z2 has a nice black background, so its headphone port must be decent. It also has a very nice bass boost in its built in equalizer, which works in any music app and not just the Walkman app. The reason I like the bass boost is because it boosts the lower end more than the higher end bass, so it doesn't bleed into the mids. I don't use the Clear Audio+ option as it just increases the treble but also narrows the soundstage.
The included IEMs are also very decent for bundled earphones. They have a nice flat frequency response but can also give punchy bass when you make them. They have decent instrument separation as well. They could maybe do with a little more clarity, but that's all really. The noise cancelling also works really well.

I've never had the privilege of listening to any Wolfson DACs, but the DAC inside my Z2 sounds quite comparable to the Texas Instruments DAC inside my JDS Labs C5D. It's to do with taste more than anything at this point. Again, the DACs in the M8 and Z2 are the same, so they shouldn't sound too different with software tweaks off. Can you not just try one out in a store anyway?

Reactions: xtbk9999

angerousevil

May 15, 2014
Hi all,

Thanks

Im using z2. Sound mod with headphones enchanting is not working for me. Its comes bugging noises. So i do prefer using sound mod without headphone enchanted. For m8 i cannot tell. But for my z2, i fully satisfy. Amazing sound with my sennheiser ie-80. Deep and detail bass. Good for easy listening. The trebles is smooth. And great Vocal too. Over all surpassing my htc one sc. Im using original rom v 314. Doomkernel v10. And yes i prefer sound enchantment than clear audio +. Ram, camera, sound, waterproof. Its comparable device for me.

Jiyeon90

Nov 8, 2012
Can confirm that the sound quality you get out of the box is very good, playing with the eq settings makes it even better. It's noticeable better than the Z1.

I'm using the A-Jays Three earphones and I'm really pleased although I'm wondering if getting the noice cancelling earphones would give me a even better experience.

Are they worth getting it?

Sent from my Xperia Z2

brouwerchris

Apr 8, 2011
Arnhem
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Can confirm that the sound quality you get out of the box is very good, playing with the eq settings makes it even better. It's noticeable better than the Z1.

I'm using the A-Jays Three earphones and I'm really pleased although I'm wondering if getting the noice cancelling earphones would give me a even better experience.

Sent from my Xperia Z2

For noise canceling they are great,sound quality is OK but not the best you can buy.

Reactions: Jiyeon90

GeekyAndroid

Nov 18, 2013
Istanbul
Sound on my Z2 is quite decent with the official ROM, however if you flash CM and that would be gone instantly and the volume will be very low.

I prefer using headphones over loudspeaker anyways but it would be better with a Mod, can someone post a link to a thread or something?

Thanks.

SWEagle

Nov 16, 2011
Machico
Well I don't really like the sound and noise cancelling on the official Sony Rom!

You really have to tweak it to be good.

The really best wound comes when you have a CM Rom installed and the equalizer set to Rock! It's is fantastic for any type of music. And If you want it louder there is mod for that...

No noise cancelling, clear sound, Beats... whatever, can "beat" the sound that come out a CM rom... in my opinion of course... :p

angerousevil

May 15, 2014
Do you need unlocked bootloader for that?

Sent from my Xperia Z2

If you can have custom recovery without unlocking bootloader. The answer is no needed. Because u need to flash zip with cwmr/twrp. Try to search xda forum about that. I lost my drm key and unlocking my bootloader on the first day this phone come out the box. So i never try to find out about that. And im using doom kernel v10 now.

Jiyeon90

Nov 8, 2012
If you can have custom recovery without unlocking bootloader. The answer is no needed. Because u need to flash zip with cwmr/twrp. Try to search xda forum about that. I lost my drm key and unlocking my bootloader on the first day this phone come out the box. So i never try to find out about that. And im using doom kernel v10 now.
Yes I have custom recovery, thanks

Sent from my Xperia Z2

Apr 21, 2013
chicago
I started stock... the speakers were decent but just not loud enough for me
Then I bought the noise-canceling earphones and they made a world of difference

Still not satisfied I rooted, unlocked bootloader, and installed CM11

I just found it a little buggy and went back stock...

Then rooted again and installed SOUNDMOD by olokos
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2758189

Bought MDR-XB90EX earbuds
http://www.amazon.com/MDR-XB90EX-In...ie=UTF8&qid=1412894172&sr=8-1&keywords=xb90ex

Almost everything is perfect except for two things:
1) I get a crackling with Hangouts notifications (not all the time, comes randomly)
2) Call quality on the earpiece is SO quiet. Speakers sound great.

angerousevil

May 15, 2014
I dont know why. But other mod make my sq getting worse. Still using pure audio and stock now. Tried z2 mod by olokos. Got bugging noises. Tried m8 mod. Got breaking sound for sub.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Both phones use the same DAC. The difference in sound comes from software and the headphone port. The Z2 has a nice black background, so its headphone port must be decent. It also has a very nice bass boost in its built in equalizer, which works in any music app and not just the Walkman app. The reason I like the bass boost is because it boosts the lower end more than the higher end bass, so it doesn't bleed into the mids. I don't use the Clear Audio+ option as it just increases the treble but also narrows the soundstage.
    The included IEMs are also very decent for bundled earphones. They have a nice flat frequency response but can also give punchy bass when you make them. They have decent instrument separation as well. They could maybe do with a little more clarity, but that's all really. The noise cancelling also works really well.

I've never had the privilege of listening to any Wolfson DACs, but the DAC inside my Z2 sounds quite comparable to the Texas Instruments DAC inside my JDS Labs C5D. It's to do with taste more than anything at this point. Again, the DACs in the M8 and Z2 are the same, so they shouldn't sound too different with software tweaks off. Can you not just try one out in a store anyway?

Sent from my Xperia Z2

For noise canceling they are great,sound quality is OK but not the best you can buy.