[Q] SGH-I537- aosp/google edition ROM? KK!

Search This thread

jeredrh

May 24, 2014
Quincy
Im desperately in search of a way I can flash a GPE Rom onto the ATT (i537) variant s4active. I HATE the whole touchwiz UI. and I have tried removing it manually, by replacing stock TW apps with google apps and uninstalling TW apps. But I want the whole enchilada. The SystemUI and interface of the Google Play edition s4 active. I know they have roms for the international version. but is there anyone out there that knows how I can get a stock google android rom onto my device.
im running 4.4.2 NC9 rooted and with safestrap.
I know theres like a kernel difference in aosp roms so idk how it all works. I would just love to take off touchwiz completely. any help would be greatly appreciated.
sorry if I offend anyone on here. since it seems like everyones so touchy about things posted here... so if I put this question in the wrong place or something, sorry.

Im desperately in search of a way I can flash a GPE Rom onto the ATT (i537) variant s4active. I HATE the whole touchwiz UI. and I have tried removing it manually, by replacing stock TW apps with google apps and uninstalling TW apps. But I want the whole enchilada. The SystemUI and interface of the Google Play edition s4 active. I know they have roms for the international version. but is there anyone out there that knows how I can get a stock google android rom onto my device.
I know theres like a kernel difference in aosp roms so idk how it all works. I would just love to take off touchwiz completely. any help would be greatly appreciated.
sorry if I offend anyone on here. since it seems like everyones so touchy about things posted here... so if I put this question in the wrong place or something, sorry.

The short answer to your question is that you can't, you're stuck with TouchWiz until the bootloader is unlocked. The reason for this is that the bootloader checks files you try to flash to the phone to make sure they are signed by Samsung. In order to use something other than a TouchWiz rom on the i537, you need to flash a different kernel. And since other kernels aren't signed by Samsung it will fail to flash.

The GPE for 4.2.2 that you are referring to was able to use the existing Samsung stock kernel, so it seemed that you were using an AOSP ROM, but it was still using Samsung's kernel. The newer GPE roms (4.3 and 4.4.2) can no longer utilize the stock Samsung kernel so they are non-functional. Unfortunately since you're on 4.4.2 you have the new bootloader and there is no way to downgrade back to 4.2.2 and use the GPE rom. Your only option at this point is to use the stock rom or find a compatible rom that you can live with until somebody figures out how to unlock the bootloader (hopefully in August).

Reactions: namitutonka

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The short answer to your question is that you can't, you're stuck with TouchWiz until the bootloader is unlocked. The reason for this is that the bootloader checks files you try to flash to the phone to make sure they are signed by Samsung. In order to use something other than a TouchWiz rom on the i537, you need to flash a different kernel. And since other kernels aren't signed by Samsung it will fail to flash.

The GPE for 4.2.2 that you are referring to was able to use the existing Samsung stock kernel, so it seemed that you were using an AOSP ROM, but it was still using Samsung's kernel. The newer GPE roms (4.3 and 4.4.2) can no longer utilize the stock Samsung kernel so they are non-functional. Unfortunately since you're on 4.4.2 you have the new bootloader and there is no way to downgrade back to 4.2.2 and use the GPE rom. Your only option at this point is to use the stock rom or find a compatible rom that you can live with until somebody figures out how to unlock the bootloader (hopefully in August).