Do you still use WM? If so why?

Search This thread

XxAndrexX

Jul 25, 2009
I loved WM, now I have WP7 too, but it simply sucks. I mean, I just bought WP7 only because the hi-res screen. and for business, I had to jump to symbian...
now I have 2 bad mobile phones, and I could just have all in 1 like WM was!

vipinmoza

Dec 4, 2009
Didn't you have a look at modaco, where you probably have ock's rom from? The latest release for the i900 Omnia is this. Build 23153 from Nov 22, 2011, so it's just 6 weeks old.

I do visit modaco from time to time but missed this one.Many thanks mate.

Anyway is there any chance of MS releasing source code of WM platform like HP did for webOS so developers can have little fun with WM??

As i see it WM is not money making for them anymore so no harm in releasing it to developers right??

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
I do visit modaco from time to time but missed this one.Many thanks mate.

Anyway is there any chance of MS releasing source code of WM platform like HP did for webOS so developers can have little fun with WM??

As i see it WM is not money making for them anymore so no harm in releasing it to developers right??
dispite what some would have you believe wm is sill used alot in the business world, id imagine ms wouldn't release code until thats no longer the case

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

pimppoet

Oct 3, 2007
soundcloud.com
dispite what some would have you believe wm is sill used alot in the business world, id imagine ms wouldn't release code until thats no longer the case

I can. I recall a few articles not to long ago showed wm was out doing wp lol...I think theyre to stubborn to admit they ****ed up by ditching wm to a certain point. I would have keep both in the works but had wp7 developed under a different brand especially to attract new non-techy customers. Another option couldve been make their own wm phone but have a wp7 has deep intergrated skin like sense but a classic mode to disable it to customize it to ur liking.

vipinmoza

Dec 4, 2009
I can. I recall a few articles not to long ago showed wm was out doing wp lol...I think theyre to stubborn to admit they ****ed up by ditching wm to a certain point. I would have keep both in the works but had wp7 developed under a different brand especially to attract new non-techy customers. Another option couldve been make their own wm phone but have a wp7 has deep intergrated skin like sense but a classic mode to disable it to customize it to ur liking.

I want to ask a question here.Whats the fundamental difference between WP7 and WM as in did MS change the underlying kernel and started WP7 from scratch???

Also couldn't MS further develop WM and made it into WP7??or perhaps like you said change the skin and made WM more touch friendly and some added bells and whistles and release upgrade to all existing WM phones.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk

It wouldnt surprise me if the actually WM sales are way up with iOS or android, there uses for that OS in the business world are almost limitless!

Keeping them both would have been ideal, WP7 isnt supposed to replace WM, its a phone OS, not a pocketPC theres no reason both couldnt exist

I want to ask a question here.Whats the fundamental difference between WP7 and WM as in did MS change the underlying kernel and started WP7 from scratch???

Also couldn't MS further develop WM and made it into WP7??or perhaps like you said change the skin and made WM more touch friendly and some added bells and whistles and release upgrade to all existing WM phones.

WP7 is a complete rewrite, but its aimed at a different market and to be fair, for the market it was aimed at its actually really very good, but that market isnt the pocketPC market, I happen to agree that WM was killed long before its time, WM was shafted big time by the OEMs and networks, MS always got the blame for the OS but if other folk didnt keep messing about with it and drivers were paid for (tut tut HTC!) it would have been great.

Take HTC, you can reskin WM to anything you want, and they did a great job with sense, what was always lacking was propper driver support and a MS big brother keeping them all in check.

pimppoet

Oct 3, 2007
soundcloud.com
It wouldnt surprise me if the actually WM sales are way up with iOS or android, there uses for that OS in the business world are almost limitless!

Keeping them both would have been ideal, WP7 isnt supposed to replace WM, its a phone OS, not a pocketPC theres no reason both couldnt exist

WP7 is a complete rewrite, but its aimed at a different market and to be fair, for the market it was aimed at its actually really very good, but that market isnt the pocketPC market, I happen to agree that WM was killed long before its time, WM was shafted big time by the OEMs and networks, MS always got the blame for the OS but if other folk didnt keep messing about with it and drivers were paid for (tut tut HTC!) it would have been great.

Take HTC, you can reskin WM to anything you want, and they did a great job with sense, what was always lacking was propper driver support and a MS big brother keeping them all in check.

I think they learned well by having the min spec requirements with wp7 but made a dumb ass move by not pushing those new specs with wm. The only thing they shouldve copied from apple was marketing & strong arming carriers to strap the bloatware. The ms blame is well deserved.

vipinmoza

Dec 4, 2009
Any idea how many people actively use WM devices these days??If i remember few years ago before the iOS and android mania,WM was leader in smartphone segment and if MS really cared about its customers it would have initiated parallel development of WM and WP7.IMO two different OS's catering to two different segment of customers.

Well we can petition to MS regarding WM source code general release ;)

kainppc6700

Apr 24, 2010
MICROSOFT EPIC FAIL Reply

if MS really cared about its customers it would have initiated parallel development of WM and WP7.IMO two different OS's catering to two different segment of customers.

That's the point exactly. You have a good idea, but MS doesn't care about its customers anymore and has really been on a fast downward spiral toward failure ever since Bill Gates "semi quit" and let the log roll itself.

A few months ago, I read this blog that was talking about Microsoft's latest screwups. It was more centered around Windows 8, but there were a few entries on Windows Mobile 7 (I wish I would've kept the links as I can't find it now) and it seems like the author was the only person who could see how MS screwed up.

If they really wanted to take some "IPhone customers", they could've (like you said) developed two softwares simultaneously, but the fact that they just slapped in the face the Windows Mobile customers really pissed me off, and I have beyond lost hope in microsoft products. That's all there is to it.

- 2B

Reactions: vipinmoza

TFGBD

Mar 9, 2005
I agree with the above statements. Like I said, they need to get some top xda modifiers and tweak and improve on the wm platform. They definitely should make it backwards compatible since windows has been around for over 20yrs. Everybody has lots of software and cabs that would be continued to be of use. Let's not just recreate the wheel completely. They should have an icon some where so that we can bring up our wm platform with a click of a button. That way, it would be the best of both worlds. Don't know if ms can pull that off unless they make the .cabs compatable with their windows 8 software. I know there in the middle of the fork, but there's just too many windows users in the states and around the world to just burn wm and make it obsolete like this. However, I am for integration of they are able to make it compatible with zune, xbox, touch/pads, & desktop.

Well, it wasn't MS but between this and the Opera Mobile hack, it looks like we're getting our wishes granted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FNls9Hi6TQ

Last edited:
Reactions: kainppc6700

kainppc6700

Apr 24, 2010
Well, it wasn't MS but between this and the Opera Mobile hack, it looks like we're getting our wishes granted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FNls9Hi6TQ

Great call. I had no idea that they were working on that. Finally those "Windows Mobile 7" devices can get some useful life breathed back into 'em (now if only I could do that with my Epic).

Tell us more about the "opera mobile hack" too :)

- 2B

Doc114

Oct 29, 2006
Yes To Wm

I think most of it has been said. It would seem most of us that used WM and moaned about it didn't realise just how good it really was. The reason being we weren't using the other op sys out there. Now it is all but gone we now want it back. Oh well thats progress I guess. The WML project does look exciting , lets hope they really get this off the ground and up and running. Until they do I'll keep using my JADE, Sedna and Touch Pro. Yes I know they are old now but all function well as a phone, all send text messages, all have tom tom ( working ) and work well with my computer operating system ( windows 7 ) Also they are all working great using my finger instead of a stylus. Microsoft just got the op sys working ( WM6.5 ) Then they dumped it. Hey didn't they do that with windows XP and introduced Vista. How long did that last...hahaha

kainppc6700

Apr 24, 2010
CURIOSITY Reply

I think most of it has been said. It would seem most of us that used WM and moaned about it didn't realise just how good it really was. The reason being we weren't using the other op sys out there. Now it is all but gone we now want it back. Oh well thats progress I guess. The WML project does look exciting , lets hope they really get this off the ground and up and running. Until they do I'll keep using my JADE, Sedna and Touch Pro. Yes I know they are old now but all function well as a phone, all send text messages, all have tom tom ( working ) and work well with my computer operating system ( windows 7 ) Also they are all working great using my finger instead of a stylus. Microsoft just got the op sys working ( WM6.5 ) Then they dumped it. Hey didn't they do that with windows XP and introduced Vista. How long did that last...hahaha

Definetly. Now is that thing where they put regular windows mobile on those WM7 devices emulation, or is it running on top or something similar to that thing they did with Windows CE on Zune HD? Could this have serious potential on other device and/or non WM7 handhelds? This has got me really curious. :)

- 2B

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
, I'd be very interested in how deep this rabbit hole goes! For instance does it have direct access to the hardware, if so I can see GPS and the full BT stack being a huge bonus. Or is it drip fed by wp7 APIs I have sooo many programs ( yes not "apps") I need, some of which need to communicate on com ports an all sorts.

Who knows tho, we will just have to wait and see, hopefully it gets released =)

EdrickV

Jul 3, 2011
Am on my second Tilt/Kaiser and 4th Windows Mobile device. (Technically I had another Windows CE device, a Cassiopeia A-11A I believe, but never used it for much since I had no way to sync it with anything and it ate AA's up too quick.) Prior to Windows Mobile I used a PalmOS Sony Clie.

I still use Windows Mobile because WP7 is junk in my opinion, iPhone is too restrictive, and there aren't any Android native devices I know of that have the features my tilt does. Specifically, a bunch of reprogrammable hardware buttons, (thanks to the slightly buggy HButton) a stylus, and a physical qwerty keyboard.

Also, with the cell phone plan I have and can afford, replacing/upgrading my phone means buying one outright without the 2-year contract discount and, for example, a Samsung Galaxy Note costs almost 10 times as much as my second Tilt did. Any other cell phone plan from the same carrier, with a smartphone, would likely cost a lot more since it would require me to have a data plan. (I technically have data access, but it is a "pay for the amount of data you use" type rather then a "x GB/MB a month" data plan.)

elecconnec

Apr 24, 2006
Wow. All this WinMo love is making me tear up! ;) I'm still a WinMo fanboy, mostly because at the end of the day, I get more done with it. I'm still a file-based guy, and I feel like no one else sees how the newer mobile OSes are really a step backwards in terms of computing. Back in 70's and 80's, when computers weighed 40 lbs and were powered by coal, we ran a program, and worked with our files inside of that program. Then, as graphical user interfaces became popular, computing shifted to where we worked on our files, and the OS figured out what program was needed to manipulate those files.

Then iOS shows up, and "apps" took us right back to 1979: you want to open a note, an ebook, or a spreadsheet? Find whatever "app" created/owns it, open the app, and the app will access the file, maipulate it, and even handle moving it off the device, because the sandbox won't let any other app access it. Sheesh! It's like owning a VIC-20 all over again!

WinMo is certainly flawed in many, many ways, but it still stands as the best implementation of a PC-like experience on a handheld device. It's totally autonomous- no outside computer is needed to "kickstart" it, no cloud server needed to "activate" it- you take it out of the box, and it just works, like any PC would.

Android is the closest modern OS to the WinMo ideal of autonomous computing, but it has awkward file management (which is still better than the non-existent file management of iOS and WP7!)

In my household, we have iOs devices, Androids, WP7s and WinMos, and I still use the WinMos 95% of the time (mostly my HD2, but occasionally my Treo Pro and Sony X1, all in sync via Dropbox.) I love the WP7 UI, but the OS is far too walled in and dependent on MS services (take away Skydrive and Bing and the thing is a dumbphone with a big screen.)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow. All this WinMo love is making me tear up! ;) I'm still a WinMo fanboy, mostly because at the end of the day, I get more done with it. I'm still a file-based guy, and I feel like no one else sees how the newer mobile OSes are really a step backwards in terms of computing. Back in 70's and 80's, when computers weighed 40 lbs and were powered by coal, we ran a program, and worked with our files inside of that program. Then, as graphical user interfaces became popular, computing shifted to where we worked on our files, and the OS figured out what program was needed to manipulate those files.

Then iOS shows up, and "apps" took us right back to 1979: you want to open a note, an ebook, or a spreadsheet? Find whatever "app" created/owns it, open the app, and the app will access the file, maipulate it, and even handle moving it off the device, because the sandbox won't let any other app access it. Sheesh! It's like owning a VIC-20 all over again!

WinMo is certainly flawed in many, many ways, but it still stands as the best implementation of a PC-like experience on a handheld device. It's totally autonomous- no outside computer is needed to "kickstart" it, no cloud server needed to "activate" it- you take it out of the box, and it just works, like any PC would.

Android is the closest modern OS to the WinMo ideal of autonomous computing, but it has awkward file management (which is still better than the non-existent file management of iOS and WP7!)

In my household, we have iOs devices, Androids, WP7s and WinMos, and I still use the WinMos 95% of the time (mostly my HD2, but occasionally my Treo Pro and Sony X1, all in sync via Dropbox.) I love the WP7 UI, but the OS is far too walled in and dependent on MS services (take away Skydrive and Bing and the thing is a dumbphone with a big screen.)
    After reading some of these posts I can't help but notice that Windows Mobile is like that sweet, homey girlfriend you always go back to. Yeah, the hot blonde (iOS) was fun but that was it. The flaming red-head (Android) was a scream but was too high maintenance. The homey brunette (WM) could carry a conversation, cook, clean and nurse a hangover. When you came back to her, she was so appreciative that she would give the ride of your life.

I'm sure we've all been there before fellas so let's not all act as if I'm crazy. :D
    I like WM because of it's flexibility, the fact that it's an open platform with lots of freeware and it's ability to function without a Google, Itunes or whatever account. You buy it, charge the battery, put in a sim card and there you go. No activation no nothing. That's simply the way it should be. Oh and by the way: Call me crazy but I actually like the UI of WM. It always offers multiple ways to do something. And lots of possibilities to customize your device of course.
    ....my simple answer, WM is a "PC" in your pocket, while Android and WM7 are smartphones... That's why WM is called PPC...:)
    I had never really thought about it until recently that I went to a data-limited plan. WinMo doesn't use nearly as much data as Android, iOS or webOS (the worst). Every mobile OS these days is constantly running background progs that use data. WinMo is on-demand except for Exchange email.