Have you dropped your device yet? Where are the weak points?

Search This thread

petercohen

Aug 22, 2014
Has anybody dropped their device yet? What happened? Did the screen break? Where are the weak points of this device? I suppose that if it lands with one of the corners, the damage could be hugh. The iBallz may offer good protection against dropping in any orientation. However, we don't know if it is compatible with our device yet.

The reason I am asking is that I love this device. I have a Capdase case (about 440g). I work at home these days and have the case removed. I found it a bit stupid to use the case because it added weight and bulk to this device. By itself, the PRO 12.2 is not so heavy but not so light. When I went out, I put the case on and felt the weight in my bag and while holding it. The official book cover from Samsung seems to be the lightest (about 200g). However, I read a review that the cover is fragile and it is not so protective. The Gumdrop is the most protective but it is a bit heavier than my Capdase case. It also raises the white color boundary of the LCD screen. As I rest by hands on the area near the home button, the raised boundary may interfere with my use of the device. It seems that if one wants more protection, one has to choose a bulky device like the Gumdrop and Ottobox cases. Am I right?

I have a white device. I prefer a case that has bright color like those for the Samsung Note 10.1 2014:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMSUNG-GALAXY-N...OOK-COVER-CASE-HARD-SHELL-STAND-/331059591828
(fluorescent green, orange and the reddish pink). I want it to be very light yet protective. Moreover, I prefer not to have the white area on the LCD screen covered. Any suggestion?

Last edited:

GrowingViolet

Dec 27, 2010
Has anybody dropped their device yet? What happened? Did the screen break? Where are the weak points of this device? I suppose that if it lands with one of the corners, the damage could be hugh. The iBallz may offer good protection against dropping in any orientation. However, we don't know if it is compatible with our device yet.

The reason I am asking is that I love this device. I have a Capdase case (about 440g). I work at home these days and have the case removed. I found it a bit stupid to use the case because it added weight and bulk to this device. By itself, the PRO 12.2 is not so heavy but not so light. When I went out, I put the case on and felt the weight in my bag and while holding it. The official book cover from Samsung seems to be the lightest (about 200g). However, I read a review that the cover is fragile and it is not so protective. The Gumdrop is the most protective but it is a bit heavier than my Capdase case. It also raises the white color boundary of the LCD screen. As I rest by hands on the area near the home button, the raised boundary may interfere with my use of the device. It seems that if one wants more protection, one has to choose a bulky device like the Gumdrop and Ottobox cases. Am I right?

I have a white device. I prefer a case that has bright color like those for the Samsung Note 10.1 2014:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMSUNG-GALAXY-N...OOK-COVER-CASE-HARD-SHELL-STAND-/331059591828
(fluorescent green, orange and the reddish pink). I want it to be very light yet protective. Moreover, I prefer not to have the white area on the LCD screen covered. Any suggestion?

Hi Peter,

I couldn't make much suggestions in the way of what case to get, but I can tell you that I've dropped my tablet at least twice, in the i-BLASON case. It fell from an elevated bed and bounced along the frame supports, it must have hit them 3 or 4 times, and finally hit the floor (it fell from about 5 or 6 feet up). No damage at all, though it was horrifying to watch! The other time it fell from about three or four feet, smack! on the floor, I think face down. No damage then either. I don't know what experiences others have had with falls, but so far it seems pretty strong. I don't know how much was the case, and how much was the device, though.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
I dropped my first Note Pro off the roof of a moving vehicle at 60mph . . . leaving it up there was the biggest bonehead mistake I've made in years.

I can honestly tell you that it shatters into many pieces when being run over by a truck at 60mph . . as witnessed by me through my side view mirror after i heard it tumble across the roof of our company SUV. 5 lane highway with no shoulders. I wasn't about to stop to survey the damage. Cleanup crew had probably picked it up that night as I could not see it anywhere in the area the next day I drove through the area. Either that or someone else grabbed it but it surely wasn't repairable.

Lesson learned and after a month of grieving I bought another, installed whatever case was at Best Buy at the time and went home to insure it via squaretrade. I do a lot of field work so I need to protect this thing from myself.

petercohen

Aug 22, 2014
Thanks for the experience. It seems that for any device (laptops, tablets, phones), the corners are the week points. I bought the Gumdrop case. It seems to offer good protection but it adds weight and the entire thing became bulky. It was like carrying two Note PRO 12.2. Kind of stupid as we want lightweight devices. I found the rubber case slippery and the entire thing is hard to handle. It might be easier to drop with the case on. Then, I bought the iBall. It fits the PRO 12.2 very tightly. I don't know if it is bad to the tablet. I also worry that if I just hold a corner (the ball), the tablet may break.

Thanks for the experience. It seems that for any device (laptops, tablets, phones), the corners are the week points. I bought the Gumdrop case. It seems to offer good protection but it adds weight and the entire thing became bulky. It was like carrying two Note PRO 12.2. Kind of stupid as we want lightweight devices. I found the rubber case slippery and the entire thing is hard to handle. It might be easier to drop with the case on. Then, I bought the iBall. It fits the PRO 12.2 very tightly. I don't know if it is bad to the tablet. I also worry that if I just hold a corner (the ball), the tablet may break.

It shouldn't snap in half from holding it at the corners, but constant pressure on the glass can cause micro fractures that severely weaken the screen's integrity.

So if it's really very tight, you may want to be prepared for a possible screen crack appearing out of nowhere. Especially when there's fluctuations in the ambient temperature.