Nexus 7 not recognised when connected via USB

Search This thread

danox82

Apr 4, 2012
Hi everyone,

My Nexus 7 at present isn't getting recognised when connected to a PC via USB. This was working the other week (the drivers were installed the first time I connected it via USB), but now when I connect it to a PC via USB the device isn't recognised by the PC.

I have tried this on multiple PC's and the same thing happens on all of them, so it must be something with the Nexus 7 that is causing the problem.

If I go into Device Manager on any of the PC's, with the Nexus 7 connected via USB it doesn't appear anywhere, so I can't go down the route of even updating the USB drivers as suggested for some similar issues on other threads.

I have even installed the Android SDK and installed the Windows USB driver package, but that hasn't done the trick either.

I have also tried installing the Microsoft MTP porting kit, but again this made no difference and the same can be said by switching between MTP and PTP mode and neither have made a difference. I don't have USB debugging enabled, enabling it doesn't make a difference either.

I can connect my Nexus S phone via USB without issue to any of the PC's I've tested the Nexus 7 on, which further backs my thinking of the issue being with the Nexus 7.

I'm running out of ideas, so thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has any other suggestions before I do a factory reset on the Nexus 7.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

danox82

Apr 4, 2012
Further to this I have done a factory reset, which has made no difference.

Any ideas other than going back to Google or Asus?

HKSpeed

Apr 3, 2012
Los Angeles
my N7 has trouble being recognized by different PCs. it is hit and miss. will your N7 charge when it's connected to a PC that doesn't recognize it? my N7 does not show the charging symbol on screen, but the battery percentage increases over time.

danox82

Apr 4, 2012
my N7 has trouble being recognized by different PCs. it is hit and miss. will your N7 charge when it's connected to a PC that doesn't recognize it? my N7 does not show the charging symbol on screen, but the battery percentage increases over time.

The N7 shows as charging when the USB cable is connected.

Also try a different cable just in case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I've tried different cables, which makes no difference.

It's looking like a hardware fault of some sort as a factory reset made no difference. Think I will have no option to go back to Google/Asus :(

marky9074

Dec 23, 2010
Maidstone
The N7 shows as charging when the USB cable is connected.

I've tried different cables, which makes no difference.

It's looking like a hardware fault of some sort as a factory reset made no difference. Think I will have no option to go back to Google/Asus :(

Try connecting it as a PTP device rather than MTP.. (that sometimes works for me when I am trying to force it to pick up the ADB device and install driver etc). If it detects it as PTP change it back (to MTP), and hopefully it will be OK.

Reactions: R.A.D DROID

rasputin1234

Aug 15, 2012
I had the same problem.

I knew it was driver issue but where to find the driver?? Looked on Asus' site and apparently the Nexus 7 is the Asus unwanted step-child. Not a mention of it there.

After a lot of looking and a lot of cursing,I found the answer! (It was the cursing that helped!) Install Windows Media Player v13. The needed driver is included. After a reboot, I was able to see the Nexus 7 on my PC and (more importantly) able to transfer files to it!

Reactions: doozynas

doozynas

Aug 16, 2012
What happened

I have had the same problem with it not connecting. My n7 does charge when I plug it in but does not show up in my computer when i plug it in via usb. I have tried switching it to PTP mode but it does not find the device for what I'm doing(unlocking boot loader for my nexus 7) I hope someone can help greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

I knew it was driver issue but where to find the driver?? Looked on Asus' site and apparently the Nexus 7 is the Asus unwanted step-child. Not a mention of it there.

After a lot of looking and a lot of cursing,I found the answer! (It was the cursing that helped!) Install Windows Media Player v13. The needed driver is included. After a reboot, I was able to see the Nexus 7 on my PC and (more importantly) able to transfer files to it!

Hi, my computer came with Windows Media Player on it. It does not specify the version. I cannot find Windows Media Player v13 anywhere. Would someone please provide a link if possible. Thank You So Much! :)

dkhilo

Apr 5, 2008
USB Connection To PC Not Detected

Having the same issue here. These two guys as well http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1851868&highlight=usb+connected Did you also use a car charger? Don't know when it happened for me, but sometime between it last working and testing car chargers it stopped working. Same thing for me as one of the posters says, USB-OTG works, so I would think it's not a physical issue, but how to reset it. Dunno, Any help would be appreciated.

ADB, Fastboot, or USB Connected device in Windows does not work. Computer doesn't even detect, no USB connect sound.

UPDATE:
Installed Glazed Jellybean v.1.1.2 thinking it might clearup the issues with detection of USB and presenting it to the PC. Still same results, USB data connectivity is missing somehow. Just might be some sort of physical damage. Kernel was updated as well to Linaro Motley Kernel v1.1.1.

Help!

Last edited:

kevchaps

Jan 4, 2012
I had this happen after using a car charger from amazon. I actually really believe that the charger is the problem, as I had originally got the charger for my recently departed tf101, and after using the charger on that, same problem as what's happening with my n7. Sure, there's workarounds, but it'd be nice to connect to pc for faster transfers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

clintjames77

Sep 6, 2012
Same As Above... This sucks.

I am having the exact same problems listed previously & I've tried almost all the same fix attempts with no luck. Like a couple others, mine worked out of the box, then I charged it in my car (using the Nexus 7 cable plugged in to a USB cigarette lighter adapter)... Now, nothing but the indication on the Nexus that it's charging. No indication at all that the computer is even aware a device is plugged in to it. Has anyone found anything? Please, Lord, say it's so!!

histrel

Sep 14, 2012
I found a fix

Whether this will work for everyone I am not sure.

I took the USB from the hub I was using & plugged it into one of the front ports on the actual tower unit. The drivers were reinstalled and everything is working again.

It may be the Nexus didn't like the hub or it may be that particular USB port threw a wobbler.

Last edited:

clintjames77

Sep 6, 2012
Whether this will work for everyone I am not sure.

I took the USB from the hub I was using & plugged it into one of the front ports on the actual tower unit. The drivers were reinstalled and everything is working again.

It may be the Nexus didn't like the hub or it may be that particular USB post threw a wobbler.

Thanks, but I've plugged my N7 in to 15+ usb ports on 3 different PCs & haven't gotten anywhere. No changes.

I did call ASUS support yesterday & was told by the tech support person that they were working on a "PC SYNC" software for the N7, but did not have a release date for it yet. I'm not very optimistic. The tech sounded like she could have been reading from a script. Didn't sound as if she knew what she was talking about. I may take my N7 back & get a replacement.

dkhilo

Apr 5, 2008
I had this happen after using a car charger from amazon. I actually really believe that the charger is the problem, as I had originally got the charger for my recently departed tf101, and after using the charger on that, same problem as what's happening with my n7. Sure, there's workarounds, but it'd be nice to connect to pc for faster transfers.

Hey, do you remember what charger you used? I tried two from Amazon, so I can't tell which one gave me the problems. Here they are:

Arcadia Rapiduo, 10W 5V/2A Dual Port high-speed USB car charger w/ Free Full Speed Micro-USB Charging Cable (IMP80C)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00845NI8E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

and

PowerGen Dual USB Port 2A 10w (fast) Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger - White
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00622AG6S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Hell, if there are several of us that have damaged devices from these chargers maybe Amazon would help us to get our Nexus replaced.

kevchaps

Jan 4, 2012
Hey, do you remember what charger you used? I tried two from Amazon, so I can't tell which one gave me the problems. Here they are:

Arcadia Rapiduo, 10W 5V/2A Dual Port high-speed USB car charger w/ Free Full Speed Micro-USB Charging Cable (IMP80C)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00845NI8E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

and

PowerGen Dual USB Port 2A 10w (fast) Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger - White
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00622AG6S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Hell, if there are several of us that have damaged devices from these chargers maybe Amazon would help us to get our Nexus replaced.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005L8Q4VU/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00
It was this one at first, then I complained it didn't work, and they sent one that could've come from their own car, the way it looked.
And yes, I know it says "for Asus tf101".

Last edited:

kevchaps

Jan 4, 2012
Perhaps there's a "safety switch" of some sort, written into the os, that "shuts down" the ability to communicate through usb after using these car chargers? That may sound stupid, i know.
I don't think it's a pc problem, since the n7 still charges when connected, and also, because this has happened twice to me, with both my tf101 and my n7,directly after using these car chargers.
And, for some reason, I don't believe it has caused hardware damage to the n7. I kind of believe what I said in the first paragraph. Maybe this will happen to a dev, and they will look into the problem.
I suppose rma is an option, but patience is not my strong point. :D

wannagofast

Aug 28, 2010
PSL, FL
I have 3 computers and 2 Nexus 7 in household, and one N7 has no problem being recognized by computers and the second N7 wont connect as a MTP device at all, on any computer, with many different cable and port combos. The second N7 was bought just a few days ago and I was not going to root and leave a virgin device, so it was essential to have access to sdcard with computer as storage device. Looks like I am taking it back for replacement...which is a shame because other than usb problem the second N7 was a perfect C70...my first N7 C70 has a minor screen lift, and after comparing the two tabs side by side, a slightly more washed out display.

dkhilo

Apr 5, 2008
Perhaps there's a "safety switch" of some sort, written into the os, that "shuts down" the ability to communicate through usb after using these car chargers? That may sound stupid, i know.
I don't think it's a pc problem, since the n7 still charges when connected, and also, because this has happened twice to me, with both my tf101 and my n7,directly after using these car chargers.
And, for some reason, I don't believe it has caused hardware damage to the n7. I kind of believe what I said in the first paragraph. Maybe this will happen to a dev, and they will look into the problem.
I suppose rma is an option, but patience is not my strong point. :D

This was my thoughts as well, thought some of the system files were altered in someway by either that process or my installing usb related apps. USB OTG and USB monitoring apps specifically. However, I decided to try an load Glazed Jelly Bean hoping it would resolve this issue by rewriting the system files, but it was still broken. This has now changed from a connectivity issue to a totally dead unit for me, it slowly started refusing to give a full charge and now not even a response while plugged into an AC Charger.

kevchaps

Jan 4, 2012
This was my thoughts as well, thought some of the system files were altered in someway by either that process or my installing usb related apps. USB OTG and USB monitoring apps specifically. However, I decided to try an load Glazed Jelly Bean hoping it would resolve this issue by rewriting the system files, but it was still broken. This has now changed from a connectivity issue to a totally dead unit for me, it slowly started refusing to give a full charge and now not even a response while plugged into an AC Charger.

Sorry to hear about yours crapping out. Hopefully, mine doesn't take that route. Really want to root for sixaxis app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus 7 4.3 not connecting to PC via USB

Hi everyone,

My Nexus 7 at present isn't getting recognised when connected to a PC via USB. This was working the other week (the drivers were installed the first time I connected it via USB), but now when I connect it to a PC via USB the device isn't recognised by the PC.

I have tried this on multiple PC's and the same thing happens on all of them, so it must be something with the Nexus 7 that is causing the problem.

If I go into Device Manager on any of the PC's, with the Nexus 7 connected via USB it doesn't appear anywhere, so I can't go down the route of even updating the USB drivers as suggested for some similar issues on other threads.

I have even installed the Android SDK and installed the Windows USB driver package, but that hasn't done the trick either.

I have also tried installing the Microsoft MTP porting kit, but again this made no difference and the same can be said by switching between MTP and PTP mode and neither have made a difference. I don't have USB debugging enabled, enabling it doesn't make a difference either.

I can connect my Nexus S phone via USB without issue to any of the PC's I've tested the Nexus 7 on, which further backs my thinking of the issue being with the Nexus 7.

I'm running out of ideas, so thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone has any other suggestions before I do a factory reset on the Nexus 7.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Just incase anyone is still looking for help at this link I found a way. [Windows Version]
    1. Right-click on Computer and go to manage
    2. Find your Nexus 7 under devices and right-click and choose uninstall, and select delete drivers aswell
    3. Un-Plug and re-plug your device and switch to MTP mode and allow the drivers to be reinstalled.

Worked for me so hopefully will work for everyone else.:fingers-crossed :fingers-crossed:
    Fix for no USB storage

Well, he's right. It's just a simple driver problem.
    Right Click "My Computer"
    Click "Device Manager"
    You should see "Google Nexus 7..." device.
    Click on it
    Click Driver
    Update Driver
    "Let me pick"
    Make sure "Compatible devices ...." is checked
    Choose USB (the one that is not selected)
    Click Ok.
    And Woop, there it is.
    Had the problem and what i did and worked was:

With the device connected and the debugging and MTP TICKED went to device manager and my nexus was showing as Android Phone ADB device.

Right click that and go - properties - driver - click uninstall at the bottom and in the next window TICK also "Delete the driver software for this device" and hit OK.

When its done disconnect the device and reconnect it.Let windows install the driver and all will be fine.

That worked for me and now my Nexus shows up at My computer as always and the ADB works also
    I stumbled on a solution

I did all the driver installs - several times.
    The tablet definitely is seen by the computer in ADB mode.
    Nexus 7 rootkit works on it.
    but Windows XP did not see it as a USB device.
    I turned off USB debugging on the Nexus 7 while in MTP mode. bingo, it immediately showed the device.
    Your mileage may vary