Installing Universal Naked Drivers

Search This thread

Silicon Knight

Mar 9, 2011
Seattle, WA
so I got the latest Universal Naked Drivers 0.73 zip file, extraced it to its own folder on my desktop, and then I opened device manager, went to Other Devices>Nexus 4, right clicked, uninstalled, restarted my laptop and nexus 4, and then opened device manager again, and this time clicked on Update Drivers for nexus 4, and when I select browse files on my computer, then I click that folder, which has two sub folders in it, one for AMD64 and then i386, and there is also some other files in the main folder, outside the subfolders, called androidwinusba64 and androidwinusb86, as well as two more called android_apxusb and android_winusb.

But When i click on the main folder so it searched through that and the two subfolders, it keeps saying it's not finding any drivers for my device, and i've tried clicking on each of the sub folders, and neither of those make it work either. I've done what every guide has shown me, which I've installed drives hundreds of times in my 27years of life, and I have never had a problem before. Especially not with Android devices. I can't get my brand new 16gb nexus 4 that i just got yesterday (got it while I wait for Tmobile to get the Nex5 in stock, and then I am switching them out) to show up under my computer as a media device so I can actually drop files onto it. I dont get what the issue is here. I know that the 4.3 update (which I updated to last night when i first powered on my phone and activated it) cause some driver issues from what i've read, but supposedly they have been fixed or whatever, and this Naked Driver is supposed to help as well. But getting them installed first would work better lol. everytime I plug the phone in, it tries to install the drivers itself, but it keeps failing for some reason. Any thoughts on how to proceed ?

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
It's ADB driver, you need to enable USB Debugging. If you are using Windows 8, reboot it into advance mode and disable driver signature checking.

Silicon Knight

Mar 9, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's ADB driver, you need to enable USB Debugging. If you are using Windows 8, reboot it into advance mode and disable driver signature checking.

i already know all that lol I've been modding for quite a few years, so I know all about USB debugging, thanks tho. That's definitely not the problem. I can get the phone to work with ADB no problem, but I can't get it to show up as a media device like its supposed to when i have that selected in the USB mode options.

Oh, and I am sorry, I shoulda clarified, I am on Win 7. I already read about the Windows 8 thing tho. Which I got a copy of Win8, so I do plan on upgrading soon, check it out see what its like. But I just gto a new copy of Ubuntu, so I've been playing around with that a lot lately.

pjc123

Feb 7, 2013
www.flaminghellmet.com
I can't speak for the naked drivers as I have never used them, but the ones that come with the SDK work fine with Win 7 on Android 4.3 (Copy and pasting files with Windows Explorer, adb, fastboot, etc.).

E:V:A

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2011
-∇ϕ
Did you resolve your issue? If not you should try to run "Usb Tree View" and make sure your phone internal USB switch is set to PDA and not MODEM or BOTH etc. I don't know how that works for the Nex4 but its a thing to look at.