Galaxy Nexus for $459.50 on Negri (NTT Docomo version)

Search This thread

crazyykw

Jun 16, 2011
I just ordered my galaxy nexus docomo. I am a noob in all this so can someone tell me the easiest way to root the device in case i need to use the unlock app. I dont understand all the adb things. :p

jup007

Sep 28, 2010
Still have twelve days so I'll talk to one of their chat CS people tomorrow and see how to get an exchange, or if they're even willing to exchange, considering that the problems I've had I don't have any control over.

Mine reboots too. Or just hard crashes requiring battery pull, which is much worse. This may be more of an issue with android then phone though, so I am reluctant to return perfectly new phone just to get another one that will have this issue too + possibly some others. May try other then stock roms or just factory reset.

BTW, if you want to know how often you phone reboots and have something tangible when arguing with Negri, search for app Bootlog Uptime on Market. I used it before on Android phone at it will report all the crashes, even those you miss.

Reactions: snakepaws

compmd101

Apr 12, 2012
Olathe, KS
Test IMEI

Hey folks, I'm a long time lurker, but never posted.

I found this thread while shopping for a Galaxy Nexus and have followed it with enough interest that I bought one from Negri and signed up for an account here.

Long story short, I'm an engineer that used to be involved in Linux and Android platform development for a handset manufacturer. For the past four years I've used phones with test IMEIs (00-4...) on T-Mobile and AT&T and never had a problem.

My GN arrived today with 4.0.4 installed and a test IMEI that looks like its probably from the fdocomo app.

snakepaws

Apr 1, 2012
An update on my Nexus/Negri's response, since I contacted them:

Chat started on 12 Apr 2012, 08:09 PM

(08:09:21) *** Visitor 988231412 joined the chat ***
(08:09:21) Visitor 988231412: Hi.
(08:09:23) *** Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support joined the chat ***
(08:09:26) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: Hi, how can we help you today? =)
(08:09:35) Visitor 988231412: I was wondering about your return/exchange policy.
(08:09:52) Visitor 988231412: I recently bought one of your new NTT Docmo galaxy nexus phones.
(08:10:02) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: RETURN POLICY: If you are unhappy with your purchase, you may return the unopened item within 7 days for a refund/credit; minus a 5% restocking fee (excludes "open box" items) based on the list price of the item. If you choose to "Refuse Delivery" of your item there were be a $25.00 refusal fee in addition to a 5% restock fee of the list price of the item. All opened/unused items are subject to a restocking fee of up to 15% of the list price of the item; used items are subject to a 15%-45% restocking fee of the list price of the item based on usage, condition, accessories, and packaging (also applies to returned "open box" items).
(08:10:12) Visitor 988231412: But it's had a few problems that I've been told are indicative of hardware defects.
(08:11:06) Visitor 988231412: Basically, it refused to recognize my SIM card a couple times, while my other phone never had that problem.
(08:11:25) Visitor 988231412: It's also rebooted three times in the week I've had it.
(08:11:42) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: Can you please provide me with your order number ?
(08:11:49) Visitor 988231412: Sure!
(08:12:12) Visitor 988231412: Here you go: ###########
(08:15:38) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: Thank you. One moment please.
(08:19:26) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: Can you please verify your email address ?
(08:19:38) Visitor 988231412: Sure, how do I do that?
(08:20:03) Visitor 988231412: Do I need to log in or something?
(08:20:05) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: Please proceed to list your email address.
(08:20:11) Visitor 988231412: Oh, okay.
(08:20:16) Visitor 988231412: ##################
(08:23:05) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: Thank you.
(08:26:32) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: At this time I have sent you an email with instructions on some steps I would suggest performing to possibly resolve the issue you're currently experiencing.
(08:27:40) Visitor 988231412: How will I know if it resolved it?
(08:28:25) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: Perform the steps listed in the email. Upon completion use your unit as normal for the next few days, and see if this issues persist.
(08:33:19) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: We noticed you are not responding. Before we end the conversation we will wait 2 minutes for you to reply. Please let us know if we can help you in any way.
(08:33:28) Visitor 988231412: Ah
(08:33:31) Visitor 988231412: Right.
(08:33:33) Visitor 988231412: Another question.
(08:33:49) Visitor 988231412: I noticed that your policy says
(08:33:50) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: Sure.
(08:34:12) Visitor 988231412: "A defective item may be returned for repair within 25 days of date of purchase."
(08:34:40) Visitor 988231412: If I ordered when the item was on backorder, does that count against my twenty-five days?
(08:34:58) Visitor 988231412: And if this doesn't work in the next few days, will my twenty-five days run out?
(08:35:05) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: No. This is not effective until your unit is received.
(08:35:46) Visitor 988231412: Okay, so since I received my unit on April 5th, I have until April 30th to initiate a formal request for repair?
(08:35:50) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: You would still be within the 25 day period as your unit was recieved April 5th.
(08:36:00) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: That is correct.
(08:36:03) Visitor 988231412: Or would you have to receive by April 30th?
(08:36:35) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: The unit is covered under the one year warranty, so we will assist you in resolving your issue.
(08:36:59) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: The instructions I sent may resolve this though, so suggest performing this prior to proceeding.
(08:37:25) Visitor 988231412: Right, but I'd just like to know the exact process I may have to go through, so there aren't any surprises later.
(08:39:29) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: You would begin by submitting an RMA form on our site. Once our RMA team recieves your request they will reply with instructions on how to proceed.
(08:39:45) Visitor 988231412: Thank you.
(08:39:48) Visitor 988231412: Oh, if possible, could you also give me a link to your warranty assistance policy?
(08:40:09) Visitor 988231412: I'm not clear on the process for getting the warranty handled through Samsung
(08:42:03) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: You would actually contact us directly in regards to your unit needing a warranty repair.
(08:42:51) Visitor 988231412: Alrighty. Thank you very much, I will try reseting my phone as outlined in your email.
(08:43:11) Visitor 988231412: Crossing my fingers, I got lucky and received a phone with a permanent unlock and a unique IMEI. :D
(08:43:30) Visitor 988231412: Don't want to lose that. >.<
(08:43:32) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: Great! =)
(08:43:34) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns.
(08:43:35) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: /da
(08:43:36) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: Enjoy the rest of your day! =)
(08:43:38) Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support: Thank You for visiting Negri Electronics. We hope that we were able to answer all of your questions. If you need to reach us at any time, please email us at cs@negrielectronics.com
(08:43:39) Visitor 988231412: Have nice day!
(08:43:42) Visitor 988231412: You, too, thank you!
(08:43:50) *** Ted - Negri Electronics - Sales/Support left the chat ***
(08:45:41) *** Visitor 988231412 left the chat ***

I forgot to ask if receiving an exchange from them would invalidate my Samsung warranty. Anything else I should have asked? If anyone is curious, the email was telling me to try this:

http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-hard-reset.html

Can that actually work? I don't see how my SIM card being difficult to read would be software problem. Also, my phone rebooted again today, so that's three times in the just about 6.5 days I've had it.

Also, I noticed that sometimes when I use Chrome for a while, the back of my phone gets hot, around the camera. Is that normal? When my phone rebooted today (again while listening to Songbird), I immediately felt the back to see if it was overheating, but it was nice and cool, so I'm not sure if it's related to the rebooting.

kizuki.buy

Dec 4, 2010
Tokyo

I forgot to ask if receiving an exchange from them would invalidate my Samsung warranty. Anything else I should have asked? If anyone is curious, the email was telling me to try this:

Can that actually work? I don't see how my SIM card being difficult to read would be software problem. Also, my phone rebooted again today, so that's three times in the just about 6.5 days I've had it.

Also, I noticed that sometimes when I use Chrome for a while, the back of my phone gets hot, around the camera. Is that normal? When my phone rebooted today (again while listening to Songbird), I immediately felt the back to see if it was overheating, but it was nice and cool, so I'm not sure if it's related to the rebooting.
I am also using an unlocked NTT Gnex. My phone does not have reboot problems, but it does get heated especially using Chrome. My guess is that its the CPU getting heated with processor intensive apps.

chlehqls

Jun 18, 2011
Toledo, OH
Eh, it's fairly normal for these phones to have weird heat spots since there are not fans to cool them off. I've had the same issues with both my EVO 3D and SGS2 for T-Mobile. Although, the SGS2 was the coolest in terms of heat I've owned thus far.

slickromeo

Jun 10, 2010
weird heat spots, i can confirm on my phone also. however mine has never rebooted. but i should say i don't do anything intensive on it. all i did was change it to stock yakju and that is all. i think i got the same phone as you snakepaws, perm factory unlock and unique imei

Negri Electronics

Dec 6, 2011
Las Vegas
negrielectronics.com

Hello. The rebooting could be caused by many things. It could be a rouge app which was installed. It could be the overheating, or it could be a manufacturer defect. We have you perform the reset to make sure that it's NOT the software. If you do this and do not reload your data, and the device runs perfectly, it was software issue. Many time users will restore their data and experience the same issue. The problem is that the rouge app may have been restored to the device, so then the user assumes its faulty. Once we receive the item we hard reset the device 2 times and then test the product. This is how to determine if the device is faulty or simply a software issue. Please do this to avoid a restock fee and a loss of 2-3 days of your phone while in transit. We always try to assist to avoid the return, not because we do not want your return, but more so to avoid the waste of time in the process. We want you to enjoy your new device, and not have to worry about sending it in the mail.

Thank you for your message.

jup007

Sep 28, 2010
Hello. The rebooting could be caused by many things. It could be a rouge app which was installed. It could be the overheating, or it could be a manufacturer defect. We have you perform the reset to make sure that it's NOT the software. If you do this and do not reload your data, and the device runs perfectly, it was software issue. Many time users will restore their data and experience the same issue. The problem is that the rouge app may have been restored to the device, so then the user assumes its faulty. Once we receive the item we hard reset the device 2 times and then test the product. This is how to determine if the device is faulty or simply a software issue. Please do this to avoid a restock fee and a loss of 2-3 days of your phone while in transit. We always try to assist to avoid the return, not because we do not want your return, but more so to avoid the waste of time in the process. We want you to enjoy your new device, and not have to worry about sending it in the mail.

Thank you for your message.

I found the same advice in the other thread on GNEX reboots. Do factory reset and AVOID restore of your settings from Google. It apparently worked for some people there. I also gave it a try and so far I am at 1 day uptime with no issues, but it's too early to jump to conclusions.

Sure, it's PITA, and with GNEX you loose everything on the phone (you don't loose root though), however, it may be worth a try. Contacts and calendar still get restored right away. Only after this I realized that some of the settings that I thought were GNEX defaults were actually imported, and sometimes in messed up way, from my old Android phone running 2.1.

snakepaws

Apr 1, 2012
Followed this: http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-hard-reset.html

Held UP, DOWN and POWER to boot into the menu as specified. Moved to the "recovery mode" option. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to touch the screen or press the power button. Touching the screen didn't do anything, so I assumed power button, but clicking the power button only resulted in this:

Yjpyw.jpg

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/eOEI3.jpg

Is this normal? I'm thinking it's a bad sign.

ericshmerick

Apr 7, 2006
Last edited:
So how long before someone (disgruntled customer I imagine) will report Negeri to the FCC for illegal IMEI tampering? Seems like they are breaking the law outright and don't seem to care. Amazing.

Edit: it is illegal, right? I could easily be wrong, but it seems fishy.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...ional-mobile-equipment-identity-mobile-phones

http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...ional-mobile-equipment-identity-mobile-phones

Maybe just in India?

This is a gray area of legality. On one hand you aren't supposed to really change an IMEI on a phone, on the other it isn't sold in the US and why would Samsung want to press charges? This would make no sense for them. They are entering a market that they can only reach through Verizon in pretty big numbers.

Negri is helping you guys out and even offered to do what they can to help if you have warranty issues which no one else is really offering. Tattling on them would be to shoot ones own self in the foot.

pedroc23

Apr 2, 2008
Houston, TX
So...if I received my GNex with the generic IMEI and already upgraded to 4.0.4, what's the best/simplest way to get the unique IMEI onto my GNex? I would like to give Google Wallet a try, but it won't work with a generic IMEI...

I have read through all the pages, but it seems to suggest I need to change to the unique IMEI before upgrading to 4.0.4.

I have tried using the v2 of f*docomo app and it didn't do anything for me... Still on the generic IMEI.

slickromeo

Jun 10, 2010
Wait, What !?!?! Google Wallet doesn't work on Stock Android with generic IMEI? is this only happening to you? is this a fluke? or has this been confirmed across multiple Gnex phones running Stock Android with generic IMEI?

I use google wallet and it is an awesome feature!

divinemyth99

Nov 16, 2010
Fargo
Followed this: www hard-reset com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-hard-reset.html

Held UP, DOWN and POWER to boot into the menu as specified. Moved to the "recovery mode" option. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to touch the screen or press the power button. Touching the screen didn't do anything, so I assumed power button, but clicking the power button only resulted in this:

[Image removed due to n00b hazing]

I just got mine from Negri (came with 4.0.4) yesterday and I have the same problem. I believe it's a bad sign, but I don't believe it to be a bad, bad sign :D fastboot should still work form the boot loader for flashing, so worst case I'd suspect we need to flash the recovery image.

jup007

Sep 28, 2010
Followed this: http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-hard-reset.html

Yjpyw.jpg

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/eOEI3.jpg

This is perfectly fine. Recovery mode just shows the android on his back with exclamation mark. Now you should be able to press power + volume up + volume down (worked for me without volume down) and get recovery menu on top. Works for me on Negri/Generic IMEI thingy.

Reactions: snakepaws

zmsudu

Oct 18, 2010
Hi there!

Anyone with this Nexus have any problems with screen?
Meaning problems, where white seems mixed with a touch of purple or yellow..

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

jup007

Sep 28, 2010
So...if I received my GNex with the generic IMEI and already upgraded to 4.0.4, what's the best/simplest way to get the unique IMEI onto my GNex? I would like to give Google Wallet a try, but it won't work with a generic IMEI...

Thanks pedroc23. This actually finally got me to investigate and play with /factory & /data/radio a bit deeper with interesting results. The sad thing is that while some people know something about nv_data.bin, they're not telling much. I'll post here my theory, maybe someone can add to it or disprove it and we can get finally to the point where perm unlock & IMEI is possible. I now also believe that the method ****Docomo app uses form perm unlock is fundamentally flawed.

Here is my theory (pretty technical):
  • lock status and your IMEI are contained in nv_data.bin files on gnex.
  • there are usually three nv_data.bin file: /factory/.nv_data.bak, /factory/nv_data.bin, /data/radio/nv_data.bin. The one in /data/radio is the one really used under normal operation, but the least important one. In some way, it gets updated during every boot and if you destroy it, it will get replaced from /factory ones (I am not sure which one is prefered).
  • all of these files are signed and signature is in accompanying files with .md5 sum.
  • unfortunately, it's not clean md5, there is some code added to it, so nobody knows how to generate them correctly.

Permanent unlock by ****Docomo works as follows:
  • it replaces all three nv_data.bin files with modified, unlocked version (this is generally easy to do, you just need to know what bits to touch)
  • it replaces md5 sum with what it thinks is correct md5 signature. But it's not.
  • when phone boots, it tries to use all three files in sequence, but since neither one of them is correct, it just reverts some fallback, very basic default nv_data.bin from who knows where, which is not supposed to be normally used and contains generic IMEI.
  • So you could probably get the same effect just by deleting md5 files or all the files - I am too scared to try this, feel free to do so.

I don't know nothing about temp unlock, it doesn't work on 4.0.4.

divinemyth99

Nov 16, 2010
Fargo
Re: restoring IMEI

You can just do this method instead. Though it needs terminal or something

1. switch GN to airplane mode
2. del 2 files nv_data.bin + nv_data.bin.md5 from /data/radio/
3. copy 1 file nv_data.bin from /factory/ to /data/radio/
4. change permission & owner execute 2 commands:
Code:
chmod 700 /factory/nv_data.bin
chown radio.radio /factory/nv_data.bin
chmod 700 /data/radio/nv_data.bin
chown radio.radio /data/radio/nv_data.bin
5. reboot phone & switch off airplane mode.
6. check imei by pressing *#06# in dialpad.

I'm pretty sure it keeps the perm-unlock, but it's just you'll go back to generic IMEI after wipe

To clarify, one should start with perma-unlock before doing this?

My phone shipped with the generic IMEI and Android 4.0.4. When I try the above, I either get generic IMEI or blank IMEI (and no network access). I don't have a cp binary that I can find, so I'm copying with dd as follows:

Code:
$ su
# rm /data/radio/nv_d*
# dd if=/factory/nv_data.bin of=/data/radio/nv_data.bin
# chown radio.radio /data/radio/nv_data.bin
# chmod 700 /data/radio/nv_data.bin
# cmp /factory/nv_data.bin /data/radio/nv_data.bin
# reboot

After reboot, when I run cmp again, it says /data/radio/nv_data.bin /factory/nv_data.bin differ byte 13312 and I still have generic IMEI.

Am I supposed to use ****docomo.apk to re-simlock it first? Can I do that without flashing 4.0.3 first?

Reactions: Cabal_

snakepaws

Apr 1, 2012
Spoke to Negri a while back on their online chat, then my neighbor needed help with something and I had to stop. I said I'd call them back or something, haven't had the time, but the CS rep said that I should send it back. That said, I'm thinking of just keeping the phone if the Android robot on its back is not a bad sign.

I haven't had any problem with the SIM card not being recognized since those two times, and the first time it was a few hairs breadths short of being all the way in, though the second time it was all the way, which kind of scares me, since I share a car with someone else and being stuck somewhere with a phone I can't use since it doesn't recognize my SIM card would be really crappy.

As for reboots, I had 27 hours of up-time before I turned off my phone to try the recovery Negri suggested. Of course, the recovery menu gave me that warning sign, but I've had 94 hours of up-time since then while using it normally, haven't changed my usage patterns or added/removed any apps.

Considering that the best case scenario I can see from sending it back to Negri is that I end up with a phone that has a scratched up screen, a generic IMEI, and similar (if not worse) intermittent problems, does anyone think the weird SIM behavior from a while back and the screwed up recovery menu are worth sending it back? Is it possible that they turn into problems that prevent me from using the phone when I need to?

I'd like to flash Yakju and get 4.0.4 eventually, not sure if the lack of a recovery menu is going to screw me over on that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lock Status of the Docomo Galaxy Nexus

Hey All,

First of all thank you for all of your support on the thread. Our Docomo Galaxy Nexus are loaded with the Android OS, v4.02 Yakju which updates from Google. So rest assured there. The Phone comes unlocked and should never lock. You could load a Docomo ROM on there and maybe lock it; but that wouldn't be anything you would want to do.

If you have any problems with any of them please contact us at support@negrielectronics.com so that we can help you.

If we missed something here please let us know. Have a great day.
    Be Everywhere!

Just know that we can not be everywhere and that you can always contact us directly if we are not responding here.

The warranty issue is complicated as it's different based on the model. Which is why we simply state that the warranty is between you and the manufacture. We will assist in everything we can to ensure an easy process.

Send the device to us (your coin), we send to Japan on our next shipment. We also ship to you for free once we get them back. If there is an expedited request, you will be asked to pay for the transit in full.

You are welcome to contact Samsung Japan for assistance as well. Please note that we do attempt to repair the device before we send them to Japan. We do have a certified technician on staff.

Most times we are unable to offer a replacement, as we are not given replacements to offer from Samsung. So your warranty issue would be sent to Samsung. if they find that a replacement is necessary they will provide one.

Any other questions we are here 7:30-6:00PM M-F.

(We ship from Nevada, so that is where you will need to send your device if you do have an issue).
    I created new thread about how to unlock with unique imei: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=25025562 .

It contains basically all I know about unlocking phone, so it's quite long. I hope it will discourage people who don't know what I am talking about from trying it.

Thanks divinemyth for testing this.
    I m thinking of buying this phone from negri electronics?? Can someone tell me if i ll have any issues using this phone in INdia? the band frequencies used there are 900 and 1800 .. Other than that i heard someone say that his phone had chinese language.. how do i change to english if i have that ?? I dont know chinese??
    Did u guys get free shipping and how much time doe it take??:D:D

want to join nexus club asap!!:D

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

whenever i open negri electronics on my google chrome , it shows the http as crossed but it is fine in IE and firefox.. I read that it is not safe to do transctions at these sites?? Is it true?? From where did u guys order your phone??and did u do an online transaction?? Please help... i want to order this phone..;)

They are a real site and trust-able. However, for India you better make sure you have a unique IMEI number as I know for sure the generic one these phones come unlocked to will not work in India.
    When ordering, make sure they ship it with the unique IMEI number intact. Just had an Indian friend find his SC-04 phone did not work when using the 0000 IMEI number there. Helped him changed it back to the original one (****docomo app again) and it worked fine.
    From Negri Electronics CEO RE: DoCoMo Galaxy Nexus

Thank you for your time.
    First and foremost I would like to thank you for your business and your support. The purpose of this memo is to address a growing concern over a model of Galaxy Nexus sold by Negri Electronics.
    In March of 2012 we were offered a discounted variant of the Galaxy Nexus by one of our respected distributors. We placed a large quantity order for the discounted Galaxy Nexus dubbed the “DoCoMo Version”. This was an international version that was unlocked, GSM compatible, and set to work on any GSM network in the world. We were happy to be able to provide these popular devices to our customers at a discount during the frenzy that existed when this device was released.
    It was brought to our attention several months later that the IMEIs of these devices started coming up “not found” or “unknown” with various carriers. We offered and accepted returns for the few that were experiencing this issue.
    As the issues continued, we reported the situation to our distributor and the explanation provided said that the devices were meant for an international market, and that a custom ROM was applied to unlock them for use on networks in other countries such as the US. We were unhappy with the explanation and the lack of proactive communication. We canceled all open orders with the distributor.
    We have since been accepting returns for all of these devices well beyond our standard return policy limitations. We are offering a new, non-DoCoMo, Galaxy Nexus in exchange wherever possible or providing store credit.
    Customers have experienced significant inconveniences stemming from this situation and for that I am sincerely sorry. Please know that it was not our intention to sell a device loaded with an unofficial ROM, or any device that would fail to meet all of your expectations. We take full responsibility for this mistake.
    We promise to always do what is right. We promise to never intentionally mislead you. I can assure you that this mistake will not happen again, and we will do everything in our power to make sure that customers negatively affected are made whole, and are satisfied with their device and Negri Electronics.

Thank You,

Ryan J. Negri- Founder & CEO
    Negri Electronics, Inc.