[Guide] partition and link2sd [pictures included for each step]

Search This thread

sanny5

Dec 17, 2012
GOTHAM
[Guide with pics 4 newbies]

Hello heros (and a 3or4 heroines I've seen around here :p)

This is a tutorial on how to partition your SD card and start linking apps to SD card (I have included screen shots fore each step to avoid confusion and also to make it easier for beginners :))

INTRODUCTION
Wat is linking to SD??
------> as the name says linking apps to SD is moving applications and their belonging resources to a special partition in SD card and creating a link to them for easy access.
Y link to SD???
------> I will tell it in short...
Apps perform better when they are on internal memory rather than on SD card because there is an easier access to their resources.. but not all phones have enough internal memory to move all apps to internal memory ... so keeping apps on SD and creating a link to them ensures better and faster performance of all apps even in devices with low internal memory ..eg galaxy y

Software's needed
1.mini partition tool (for PC ie windows)
2.link2sd (for mobile ie android)

PROCEDURE
pleez following the procedure carefully and exactly to avoid any inconvenience

1. First you have to download Mini Tool Partition Wizard Manager. You can download it in the link above... download it and install it on PC.

2. Insert your SD card to a card reader and open it on your computer.(not via USB cable)

3. Back up all your files to the computer because partitioning will wipe your data.

4. Open Mini Tool in your computer. Locate your SD card (be careful in choosing and make sure not to choose the drive of your computer)

5. Right click and choose Delete.
uploadfromtaptalk1360554012597.jpg

6. Right click on it again and choose Create New. Create “FAT32″ partition (This is where all your media files will go. Be sure to make it bigger than the 2nd part)

7. Select “Create as: PRIMARY”
uploadfromtaptalk1360554042434.jpg

8. Next, create an ext2/ext3/ext4 partition (I suggest ext2 cause it works on all roms and kernels). This is where your apps will go. I suggest a value of 512Mb would be big enough but its ur choice...

9. Select “Create As: PRIMARY” (make sure that it is both set to primary because it will not work if it is not set to primary)
uploadfromtaptalk1360554071738.jpg

10. Click the “Apply” button on the top left corner and wait for it to finish the process. Done.

11. Put back your SD card to your phone and switch it on.

12. Download and install Link2sd from Google Play Store link given above.uploadfromtaptalk1360554096140.jpg

13. Open Link2sd. You will be prompted to choose between ext2, ext3, ext4 and FAT32. Select one..
(Give preference in this order ext4>ext3>ext2>fat32/16
Not all may be compatible with ur kernel so try each one in the order of preference and use the highest ranking one that works... ext4 is compatible with my kernel so I use that...)
uploadfromtaptalk1360554109628.jpg

14. It will say mount script created. Reboot your phone now.

15. Open link2sd and if the message doesn’t show up, you succeded.

16. Go to Link2sd>Settings>check the autolink (to automatically move apps upon installation)

17. If you already have some apps, select “move to phone” then after moving select “Create Link” (be sure to check the three files: app, dalvic-cache and library files)
uploadfromtaptalk1360554156230.jpguploadfromtaptalk1360554168795.jpg

18. To check your memory, select “Storage Info”. This will show you the current state of your internal memory, FAT32, and ext2 partition.
uploadfromtaptalk1360554182957.jpg

19. Now you’re done and ready to install vast amount of applications as you wish!

1 request guys ... u see above this at least 4-5 hours out if my life that I spent to make this thread ... so I don't ask u not to share it... but pleez don't just copy paste this in different threads, forums, blogs etc... if u want to share pleez share a link to this thread ...

Thank u :)

3ndSIPB.png

=========HOLO-UBUNTU========theme

Last edited:

kuaniket

Mar 2, 2013
Great...... That worked

You are great dear.....

It worked perfectly.....

Had some issues during partitioning but they were specific to the PC operating system.

Thank you so much and yes....... I did hit the Thanks button;)

[Guide with pics 4 noobs]

This is a tutorial on how to partition your SD card and start linking apps to SD card (I have included screen shots fore each step to avoid confusion and also to make it easier for beginners )

INTRODUCTION
Wat is linking to SD??
------> as the name says linking apps to SD is moving applications and their belonging resources to a special partition in SD card and creating a link to them for easy access.
Y link to SD???
Apps perform better when they are on internal memory rather than on SD card because there is an easier access to their resources.. but not all phones have enough internal memory to move all apps to internal memory ... so keeping apps on SD and creating a link to them ensures better and faster performance of all apps even in devices with low internal memory ..eg galaxy y,galaxy mini,galaxy ace,HTC wildfire,galaxy fit, galaxy Geo etc etc

Software's needed

PROCEDURE

1. First you have to download Mini Tool Partition Wizard Manager. You can download it in the link above... download it and install it on PC.

2. Insert your SD card to a card reader and open it on your computer.(not via USB cable)

3. Back up all your files to the computer because partitioning will wipe your data.

4. Open Mini Tool in your computer. Locate your SD card (be careful in choosing and make sure not to choose the drive of your computer)

View attachment 1719319

6. Right click on it again and choose Create New. Create “FAT32″ partition (This is where all your media files will go. Be sure to make it bigger than the 2nd part)

View attachment 1719321

8. Next, create an ext2/ext3/ext4 partition (I suggest ext2 cause it works on all roms and kernels). This is where your apps will go. I suggest a value of 512Mb would be big enough but its ur choice...

9. Select “Create As: PRIMARY” (make sure that it is both set to primary because it will not work if it is not set to primary)
View attachment 1719323

10. Click the “Apply” button on the top left corner and wait for it to finish the process. Done.

12. Download and install Link2sd from Google Play Store link given above.View attachment 1719324

13. Open Link2sd. You will be prompted to choose between ext2, ext3, ext4 and FAT32. Select ext2.
View attachment 1719329

16. Go to Link2sd>Settings>check the autolink (to automatically move apps upon installation)

17. If you already have some apps, select “move to phone” then after moving select “Create Link” (be sure to check the three files: app, dalvic-cache and library files)
View attachment 1719331View attachment 1719332

18. To check your memory, select “Storage Info”. This will show you the current state of your internal memory, FAT32, and ext2 partition.
View attachment 1719333

19. Now you’re done and ready to install vast amount of applications as you wish!

1 request guys ... u see above this at least 4-5 hours out if my life that I spent to make this thread ... so I don't ask u not to share it... but pleez don't just copy paste this in different threads or in ur freaking blogs... if u want to share pleez share a link to this thread ... thank u .
And don't forget to hit thanks (only if this helped of course )
Have a good day

==============================
thoughtfully posted by S A N N Y 5...:cool:

aragonit

Jan 8, 2013
I used this a few months ago to speed up my friend's Samsung Next Turbo.

You don't need to delete your FAT32 partition, you can just shrink it. Then use the empty space for the ext partition.

bugsy05

Dec 1, 2012
It´s not working to me...i made step by step...all clear but when i reboot the message show up again in Link2SD...What to do now???How to relocate that ext2 partition i made???

sanny5

Dec 17, 2012
GOTHAM
It´s not working to me...i made step by step...all clear but when i reboot the message show up again in Link2SD...What to do now???How to relocate that ext2 partition i made???

In link to SD have to ext 2 itself.... if that doesn't work. Then ur kernel doesn't support that... so try different types ... one of them will work
Fat32 surely works but I prefer ext 4

.................I Walk In Shadows...!..................

bugsy05

Dec 1, 2012
In link to SD have to ext 2 itself.... if that doesn't work. Then ur kernel doesn't support that... so try different types ... one of them will work
Fat32 surely works but I prefer ext 4

I made it work allready but watching another tutorial...sorry to say but yours its not so complete.I haved to set active that partition and for those who have CM7 almost all the time its working only with ext4.

sanny5

Dec 17, 2012
GOTHAM
I made it work allready but watching another tutorial...sorry to say but yours its not so complete.I haved to set active that partition and for those who have CM7 almost all the time its working only with ext4.

Its using link to SD....
U need not set active etc it may specific to ur device or Tom..
Regarding extension type..
I will update the guide....

Added- guide updated :)

Last edited:

ross07

Mar 13, 2011
bristol
the 2nd partion is saying not mounted and is greyed out in linktosd followed all steps to the letter dont listen to this advise its ****

ross07

Mar 13, 2011
bristol
Easiest way of getting this to run quickly ,WITHOUT much hassle

1 root your phone
install magldr
install clock work mod recovery
reboot phone into bootloader hold down power button
use volume control to go down menu
select ad recovery
then in clockwork mod go down to advanced
go down to partion sd
select the size if 32gb sd select 4096 etc
then select swap size 0 or 256
then wait then select reboot

then go to app store download
link2sd
run it and it will self configure itself if not select ext2 from the menu

takes about 2 mins if you got maglgr already installed on your device

Chin2

Aug 24, 2012
I'm using s'perience rom on SGA; i have tried ext2/3/4 partitions. but after setting link2sd my phone memory remains the same... help :(

Last edited:

mandayugana

Jan 17, 2012
I use stock ROM with Ketut's B84 kernel. Link2SD mount script doesn't work in this kernel. So I just created my own script to mount the SD card. By default, Ketut's kernel mounts the second partition of external memory into /system/sd.

My questions are:
1. Is it safe to keep /system/sd mounted, and binding /data/sdext2 to /system/sd? I use "mount -o bind /system/sd /data/sdext2".
2. Or, is it safer to unmount /system/sd before mounting the second partition into /data/sdext2?

sanny5

Dec 17, 2012
GOTHAM
I use stock ROM with Ketut's B84 kernel. Link2SD mount script doesn't work in this kernel. So I just created my own script to mount the SD card. By default, Ketut's kernel mounts the second partition of external memory into /system/sd.

My questions are:
1. Is it safe to keep /system/sd mounted, and binding /data/sdext2 to /system/sd? I use "mount -o bind /system/sd /data/sdext2".
2. Or, is it safer to unmount /system/sd before mounting the second partition into /data/sdext2?

i don't see y its not safe...
u can mount them both together...
even in default script they r both mounted...
i don't exactly know about ur script so... even u should look into that ... :)

Reactions: mandayugana

mandayugana

Jan 17, 2012
i don't see y its not safe...
u can mount them both together...
even in default script they r both mounted...
i don't exactly know about ur script so... even u should look into that ... :)

I have no idea if it is safe or not mounting /system/sd and /data/sdext2 together. Well, if it is safe, I can keep myself calm. ;)

Btw, my init.d script is only one line:
Code:
mount -o bind /system/sd /data/sdext2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Guide with pics 4 newbies]

This is a tutorial on how to partition your SD card and start linking apps to SD card (I have included screen shots fore each step to avoid confusion and also to make it easier for beginners :))

INTRODUCTION
    Wat is linking to SD??
    Y link to SD???
    Apps perform better when they are on internal memory rather than on SD card because there is an easier access to their resources.. but not all phones have enough internal memory to move all apps to internal memory ... so keeping apps on SD and creating a link to them ensures better and faster performance of all apps even in devices with low internal memory ..eg galaxy y

Software's needed

PROCEDURE

uploadfromtaptalk1360554012597.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360554042434.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360554071738.jpg

12. Download and install Link2sd from Google Play Store link given above.uploadfromtaptalk1360554096140.jpg

13. Open Link2sd. You will be prompted to choose between ext2, ext3, ext4 and FAT32. Select one..
    (Give preference in this order ext4>ext3>ext2>fat32/16
    Not all may be compatible with ur kernel so try each one in the order of preference and use the highest ranking one that works... ext4 is compatible with my kernel so I use that...)
    uploadfromtaptalk1360554109628.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360554156230.jpguploadfromtaptalk1360554168795.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360554182957.jpg

1 request guys ... u see above this at least 4-5 hours out if my life that I spent to make this thread ... so I don't ask u not to share it... but pleez don't just copy paste this in different threads, forums, blogs etc... if u want to share pleez share a link to this thread ...

Thank u :)

3ndSIPB.png

=========HOLO-UBUNTU========theme
    Great...... That worked

You are great dear.....

It worked perfectly.....

Had some issues during partitioning but they were specific to the PC operating system.

Thank you so much and yes....... I did hit the Thanks button;)

[Guide with pics 4 noobs]

This is a tutorial on how to partition your SD card and start linking apps to SD card (I have included screen shots fore each step to avoid confusion and also to make it easier for beginners )

INTRODUCTION
    Wat is linking to SD??
    Y link to SD???
    Apps perform better when they are on internal memory rather than on SD card because there is an easier access to their resources.. but not all phones have enough internal memory to move all apps to internal memory ... so keeping apps on SD and creating a link to them ensures better and faster performance of all apps even in devices with low internal memory ..eg galaxy y,galaxy mini,galaxy ace,HTC wildfire,galaxy fit, galaxy Geo etc etc

Software's needed

PROCEDURE

View attachment 1719319

View attachment 1719321

View attachment 1719323

12. Download and install Link2sd from Google Play Store link given above.View attachment 1719324

13. Open Link2sd. You will be prompted to choose between ext2, ext3, ext4 and FAT32. Select ext2.
    View attachment 1719329

View attachment 1719331View attachment 1719332

View attachment 1719333

1 request guys ... u see above this at least 4-5 hours out if my life that I spent to make this thread ... so I don't ask u not to share it... but pleez don't just copy paste this in different threads or in ur freaking blogs... if u want to share pleez share a link to this thread ... thank u .
    And don't forget to hit thanks (only if this helped of course )
    Have a good day

==============================
    thoughtfully posted by S A N N Y 5...:cool:
    I used this a few months ago to speed up my friend's Samsung Next Turbo.

You don't need to delete your FAT32 partition, you can just shrink it. Then use the empty space for the ext partition.
    Easiest way of getting this to run quickly ,WITHOUT much hassle

1 root your phone
    install magldr
    install clock work mod recovery
    reboot phone into bootloader hold down power button
    use volume control to go down menu
    select ad recovery
    then in clockwork mod go down to advanced
    go down to partion sd
    select the size if 32gb sd select 4096 etc
    then select swap size 0 or 256
    then wait then select reboot

then go to app store download
    link2sd
    run it and it will self configure itself if not select ext2 from the menu

takes about 2 mins if you got maglgr already installed on your device

Its using link to SD....
    U need not set active etc it may specific to ur device or Tom..
    Regarding extension type..
    I will update the guide....

Added- guide updated :)