[Q] How to root ZTE Open / 1.4

Search This thread

jdavidgea

Jan 18, 2009
I have flashed my ZTE Open to FFOS 1.4 with this method (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2680514), only some bugs - AND: How can I root the ZTE, this method ( pof.eslack.org/2013/07/05/zte-open-firefoxos-phone-root-and-first-impressions) don't work. My before 1.2-prerelease-version was rooted of course.

You can install cwm recovery and root first with 1.1 or 1.2 then install 1.4 and do a factory reset from cwm. It should tell you lost root and install it again for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: martin_s5670

martin_s5670

Feb 20, 2012
Berlin
Exactly that's my problem: su don't work. I get:
root@android:/ # su
su
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
127|root@android:/ #
Therefore: How to root a FFOS 1.4?

KUPOinyourWINDOW

Mar 22, 2014
su

That means that the utility you've used to root your phone hasn't worked. Just a heads up: you need to be on Firefox OS 1.0 to root your phone, every version after has patched it (because the only reason you can root it in the first place is a vunerability which has since been fixed).

Google search "Firefox OS 1.2 ZTE OPEN" and click on the top link to the Mozilla Hacks website with the title of "Upgrading your ZTE Open to Firefox 1.1 or 1.2 (fastboot enabled)", then scroll down to the bottom and click the 1 to go to the first page of comments, then scroll to the bottom again and click the bottom link to find a google drive download called "update-signed.zip". Download that and install it, enable "Remote Debugging" in developer settings, root your phone, install CWM Recovery and re-download and install the OS you want to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: measle

martin_s5670

Feb 20, 2012
Berlin
Pardon, but I know all this, how to root etc ZTE 1.0 resp. 1.2 - and I have a rooted ZTE 1.2. The problem is, that after installing 1.4 you have no root, you can't get the su-binaries in /system/xbin.

KUPOinyourWINDOW

Mar 22, 2014
Pardon, but I know all this, how to root etc ZTE 1.0 resp. 1.2 - and I have a rooted ZTE 1.2. The problem is, that after installing 1.4 you have no root, you can't get the su-binaries in /system/xbin.

Oh I'm sorry I understand now! I assume that is an issue with 1.4 not being finished yet, I imagine the only real solution is to revert back to a "finished" build of B2G

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have flashed my ZTE Open to FFOS 1.4 with this method (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2680514), only some bugs - AND: How can I root the ZTE, this method ( pof.eslack.org/2013/07/05/zte-open-firefoxos-phone-root-and-first-impressions) don't work. My before 1.2-prerelease-version was rooted of course.

You can install cwm recovery and root first with 1.1 or 1.2 then install 1.4 and do a factory reset from cwm. It should tell you lost root and install it again for you.
    Yes, I have done this several times, but i can't get /system/xbin. There is only a "su" in /system/bin.

Have you tried if "su" works from ADB?:

1) adb shell
    2) su

if it works from there you must be able to use it to install it in xbin.

I'm repeating the process in a new one I got this afternoon... maybe I can make a quick guide from zero.
    su

That means that the utility you've used to root your phone hasn't worked. Just a heads up: you need to be on Firefox OS 1.0 to root your phone, every version after has patched it (because the only reason you can root it in the first place is a vunerability which has since been fixed).

Google search "Firefox OS 1.2 ZTE OPEN" and click on the top link to the Mozilla Hacks website with the title of "Upgrading your ZTE Open to Firefox 1.1 or 1.2 (fastboot enabled)", then scroll down to the bottom and click the 1 to go to the first page of comments, then scroll to the bottom again and click the bottom link to find a google drive download called "update-signed.zip". Download that and install it, enable "Remote Debugging" in developer settings, root your phone, install CWM Recovery and re-download and install the OS you want to use.