Sim Unlock

Search This thread

mk69

Sep 16, 2007
Google Nexus 5
Android Wear
Anyone know how to unlock the Captivate once it's rooted? Or do I need to buy a code from one of those sites? Thanks.

Did'nt they pass some law or loose some class action suit, after 90 days in good standing or something like that AT&T has to give you the unlocked code... The only exception I think was the Iphone, something about thats apple's terms to unlock or not....

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=9533

Last edited:

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
You're in the same boat as me. I bought one today knowing it was locked and might not have a code available for a few weeks from one of the "usual" places.

If you did like I did and bought it legit from an AT&T store, there's a chance you can call up AT&T tomorrow (what I'm trying) and get it unlocked all proper like. Otherwise, you may be in for a bit of a wait.

jentech

May 16, 2008
North Vancouver
Did'nt they pass some law or loose some class action suit, after 90 days in good standing or something like that AT&T has to give you the unlocked code... The only exception I think was the Iphone, something about thats apple's terms to unlock or not....

Problem is I bought it outright from Best Buy today to use on Rogers in Canada, so I don't have an ATT account. I thought the unlock would be relatively painless.

jentech

May 16, 2008
North Vancouver
You're in the same boat as me. I bought one today knowing it was locked and might not have a code available for a few weeks from one of the "usual" places.

If you did like I did and bought it legit from an AT&T store, there's a chance you can call up AT&T tomorrow (what I'm trying) and get it unlocked all proper like. Otherwise, you may be in for a bit of a wait.

There's a guy in Burnaby who says it can unlock it using a cable, not a code. Going there tomorrow. Will let you know.

hbkmog

Jul 6, 2010
New York City
Yeah me too. One reason I'm hesitating to buy it is that it's sim locked to AT&T. Since I also travel to other countries, I really need a totally unlocked phone. Please let us know how it turns out.

jentech

May 16, 2008
North Vancouver
Phoned AT&T this morning and was told that the Captivate cannot be unlocked, at least not right now. :(

I called back (sometimes that helps) and chatted with another rep. and was told that AT&T has a 10 month exclusivity to the Samsung Captivate, and there would be no unlock until then.
10 months?? exclusive?? Get a clue AT&T, this thing is available on every major network, and unlocked on most.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
If you don't have a post-paid AT&T account, you will get no help from AT&T for this unlock.

But most AT&T reps have no clue what it is. You have to explain to them. But only if you meet the qualification (post-paid, at least 90 days etc.).

Denoh

Oct 11, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I called AT&T as I have a Premier Account with International calling and always get a subsidy sim unlock, but they were unable to find the unlock code. It seems that these are not available yet. AT&T might be blocking them for a while since the phone is so new.
Tried www.cellunlocker.net/www.unlockcodesource.com and they could not find a code for my phone either. Just ordered from www.unlockallcellular.com. Lets see how that goes.
For some reason, my IMEI ends with /2 after the usual 15 numbers. Anyone know why?

Last edited:

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
same here, 16 digits/2

My order with unlockallcellular.com is showing as Generating Code... at the moment.

Not getting my hopes up at this point though.

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
Order is still pending, but they have updated their website, the Captivate is now listed as Not Available.

Bummer.

Current Provider Price Available Delivery Time
AT&T / Cingular - US $7.99 NO 6 to 24 Hrs

pezx44

Oct 8, 2007
Keep us posted if you find anything. I'm waiting on my phone (I'm out of the country too). Hopefully they figure things out in the next week or so. Hope I don't just end up with an expensive new toy...

Denoh

Oct 11, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I am starting to think that this has something to do with our weird IMEI's that end with /02. Maybe some new sim lock feature that Samsung and AT&T have come up with to prevent unlocking. Does anyone know the Vibrant and Galaxy S IMEI formats? Do the have 15 digits and the /02?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    giz mentioned that the unlock code is very close to the IMEI -- can you confirm that?
    do you think it could build a pattern?

When he said that, he meant that the code was close to the IMEI on the email, as in one set of numbers ran into another set of numbers, not that they were similar.