[GUIDE] Downgrade, Root, Partition, Update SPL, and Install CyanogenMOD

Search This thread

nephron

May 25, 2009
I will most definately being doing some research and reading on the subject at hand it's just that I'm in a rush to get this all done and I've been awake for a while now so I apologize. But thank you very much for putting up with me and my noobness.

if you need any more help feel free to PM me or just use the search feature :D.

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
bumb. People keep asking questions that are in THIS GUIDE!

why does every single person that uses recovery flasher to root their phone think they are entitled to have everything handed to them on a silver platter? there is a search button. there are numerous guides for every single question they are asking. then some of them want to turn and get smart because someone chastised them for asking a question in the wrong place or asking a question where the answer is clearly before them. their excuse " i'm a noob." so what, we were all noobs once at something but most of us researched stuff before we did it. my patience is growing very small for the questions that have been answered over and over. i think i might just start giving people links and nothing else if this laziness keeps up.

sorry for that rant but i feel i needed to vent

back on topic though. you might want to add something about the actual math needed to figure out the partition sizes, so hopefully what happened a few posts back won't happen again. maybe put something in it about linux-swap for those that want it? then again with the questions that are being asked i do not know how many people would even be able to use a userinit.sh file to even activate swap lol.

ThR1LL

Apr 8, 2009
Houston, TX
why does every single person that uses recovery flasher to root their phone think they are entitled to have everything handed to them on a silver platter? there is a search button. there are numerous guides for every single question they are asking. then some of them want to turn and get smart because someone chastised them for asking a question in the wrong place or asking a question where the answer is clearly before them. their excuse " i'm a noob." so what, we were all noobs once at something but most of us researched stuff before we did it. my patience is growing very small for the questions that have been answered over and over. i think i might just start giving people links and nothing else if this laziness keeps up.

This is exactly how I feel! This needs to be patched already

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
This is exactly how I feel! This needs to be patched already

sorry nephron for off topic post. i do not think it needs to be patched. mainly because it works for the mytouch and the rooting process for it is horrible. i guess i wish that people had more common sense but that will never happen.

sasa3791

Aug 8, 2009
Novo Naselje
i've installed CM 4.0.1 and Recovery 1.4 (wit Recovery Flasher), but without Hard SPL and OTA Radio, after that installed Dark Hero Theme and all works ok.
can some1 tell me do i need reinstall everthyng and install hard spl and ota radio, and how?
thx

i've installed CM 4.0.1 and Recovery 1.4 (wit Recovery Flasher), but without Hard SPL and OTA Radio, after that installed Dark Hero Theme and all works ok.
can some1 tell me do i need reinstall everthyng and install hard spl and ota radio, and how?
thx

You really don't have to install Hard SPL if you don't want to, you just won't have the fastboot option. But you really should install Hard SPL, there is no danger to installing it. You should update the radio cause without the new updated radio you might run into problems with dropped calls and BT problems. And update spl and radio the same way you would update anything.

nickryan0612

May 24, 2009
Sorry for all the questions everyone who has been helping me. But im a little confused at one part.

I know it says clean sd card. but in the regular root process it says format to fat32 so if im looking to do this to a 1gb and havent formated it to fat 32 yet. Should i and then follow this guide or follow this guide and forget formating to fat 32?

nephron

May 25, 2009
@david: nice rant lol. I totally agree. People need to search and read before making stupid new threads.

@nickryan: If you dont format your card to fat32, the bootloader wont regognize the DREAIMG.nbh that is on your sD Card. So yes, format first then continue with this guide. :D

farble1670

Aug 20, 2009
thanks

very nice and easy thanks. i was scared to try any of the other apps2sd routes, but this one was easy.

the only slight difference is that my SD card max was 7948, not 7999.

longj49

Jun 29, 2007
thanks, nephron, for the excellent tutorial!

parted didn't allow me to have a primary ext2 partition size of 1500-1996 for my 2gb sdcard though, but accepted the setting of 1500-1900.

also, after installing spl.zip the phone didn't hang at the G1 screen and went quickly back to the recovery screen. lucky me.

enjoying the phone now.:D:D:D

polarbearmc

May 17, 2006
Las Vegas
www.bydavidrosen.com
ok one quick question and i'm ready to go... it says check to see if you have RC30 or higher... is a regular OTA cupcake 1.5 above RC30? firmware 1.5, build number crc1. i'm guessing yes, but i thought better safe than sorry to double check. that would mean just start from the beginning of the guide and downgrade first, correct? if so i'm ready to go!

thanks, and sorry it's such a noob question...

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
ok one quick question and i'm ready to go... it says check to see if you have RC30 or higher... is a regular OTA cupcake 1.5 above RC30? firmware 1.5, build number crc1. i'm guessing yes, but i thought better safe than sorry to double check. that would mean just start from the beginning of the guide and downgrade first, correct? if so i'm ready to go!

thanks, and sorry it's such a noob question...

you are correct in your thinking. you get to downgrade. if you've read up and have all your files you should be rooted in 30 minutes tops:D

polarbearmc

May 17, 2006
Las Vegas
www.bydavidrosen.com
one more quick question... running into my first problem (although possibly not a problem)

when i typed the "flash_image recovery /sdcard/cm-recovery-1.4.img" in the terminal, it just sad there for a second and then went to another line. no confirmation. is that ok?

thanks!

nephron

May 25, 2009
one more quick question... running into my first problem (although possibly not a problem)

when i typed the "flash_image recovery /sdcard/cm-recovery-1.4.img" in the terminal, it just sad there for a second and then went to another line. no confirmation. is that ok?

thanks!

yup. Means it works :D

polarbearmc

May 17, 2006
Las Vegas
www.bydavidrosen.com
hey guys,

so i got to the part where i had to partition the sd card, which cleared the sd card, so when i got to the step where it says to reflash cyrogens 4.0.1 its not on there anymore. i have it on my pc, but my newly partitioned 8gb card doesn't seem to work with windows or something. can i boot up into what i have now and copy it over usb? (which is how i was copying everything over before too) or will that mess something up because i'm in the middle of this part... thanks!!

nephron

May 25, 2009
hey guys,

so i got to the part where i had to partition the sd card, which cleared the sd card, so when i got to the step where it says to reflash cyrogens 4.0.1 its not on there anymore. i have it on my pc, but my newly partitioned 8gb card doesn't seem to work with windows or something. can i boot up into what i have now and copy it over usb? (which is how i was copying everything over before too) or will that mess something up because i'm in the middle of this part... thanks!!

yup u can :D