[Q] usb 3.0 never works

Search This thread

sliyk

May 15, 2007
Coventry
hi everyone!
its been a while since i have posted here :) [was lost in the apple wilderness for a few years]
i have an n9005 and my laptop is samsung 5 series ultrabook with windows 8.1 64bit running, this lappy has one usb 3.0 port
i have never managed to connect the note in 3.0 mode, this happened only once by accident when the phone also notitifed me that it is connected in 3.0 usb mode but never after that.
the usb 3.0 port charges the phone fine but does not show it as been connected to the computer, not in device manager or anywhere else, 2.0 works fine.

ill be grateful if anyone can shed some light on this for me, apologies if im breaking any rules!

Thanks.

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
Since you said you had connection once by accident, I would start with basics: try another cable and make sure ports are fine. charging uses only 2 wires, all the rest is for data. On my Note 3 USB port is very finicky when using USB3 cable even for charging, I have to wiggle and push hard to get it to charge, USB2 cable works fine, so I'm not even sure if its phone port or Samsung cable, just waiting for it to fail altogether before trouble shooting.

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
hi everyone!
its been a while since i have posted here :) [was lost in the apple wilderness for a few years]
i have an n9005 and my laptop is samsung 5 series ultrabook with windows 8.1 64bit running, this lappy has one usb 3.0 port
i have never managed to connect the note in 3.0 mode, this happened only once by accident when the phone also notitifed me that it is connected in 3.0 usb mode but never after that.
the usb 3.0 port charges the phone fine but does not show it as been connected to the computer, not in device manager or anywhere else, 2.0 works fine.

ill be grateful if anyone can shed some light on this for me, apologies if im breaking any rules!

Thanks.

The USB 3 thing is quite stupid from Samsung - but it makes some sense if you think of it as 99% marketing on top of which some guys decided to provide some form of emergency help but without compromising other things too much :rolleyes:

Bottom line - USB3 is not active by default! Once you have it plugged it only goes to USB2 and you need to go to Notifications and click on "Connected as a media device" - and then modify that to "MTP on USB3" or something like that. That checkbox will NOT stick (so next time you will NOT be in USB3 mode) and will also be converted back to USB 2 after 10 minutes (I presume 10 minutes of inactivity, since otherwise that would be very, very stupid, but nothing will surprise me on that).

Whatever you saw on the PC it was most likely a message telling you that the device might be performing faster in a USB3 port - even if you already were plugged in a USB3 port :rolleyes: What Windows wanted to say was more along the lines "the device might perform better in USB 3 mode" :)

pete4k

Jan 2, 2014
The USB 3 thing is quite stupid from Samsung - but it makes some sense if you think of it as 99% marketing on top of which some guys decided to provide some form of emergency help but without compromising other things too much :rolleyes:

Bottom line - USB3 is not active by default! Once you have it plugged it only goes to USB2 and you need to go to Notifications and click on "Connected as a media device" - and then modify that to "MTP on USB3" or something like that. That checkbox will NOT stick (so next time you will NOT be in USB3 mode) and will also be converted back to USB 2 after 10 minutes (I presume 10 minutes of inactivity, since otherwise that would be very, very stupid, but nothing will surprise me on that).

Whatever you saw on the PC it was most likely a message telling you that the device might be performing faster in a USB3 port - even if you already were plugged in a USB3 port :rolleyes: What Windows wanted to say was more along the lines "the device might perform better in USB 3 mode" :)
I'm not sure where did you get the idea of USB3 being a gimmick, or stupid, but it is neither. I was just copying my pictures folder to my computer, 170MB worth took instant on USB3, where it took over 10 sec using USB 2, I wish all gimmicks worked that well.
Yeah, you have to activate it on the phone, like you have to activate MTP or PTP mode, maybe for compatibility with some obscure software, who knows. BTW I read somewhere USB3 does work on Win only , so all bets off if you have Mac.

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I'm not sure where did you get the idea of USB3 being a gimmick, or stupid, but it is neither. I was just copying my pictures folder to my computer, 170MB worth took instant on USB3, where it took over 10 sec using USB 2, I wish all gimmicks worked that well.
Yeah, you have to activate it on the phone, like you have to activate MTP or PTP mode, maybe for compatibility with some obscure software, who knows. BTW I read somewhere USB3 does work on Win only , so all bets off if you have Mac.

Big words from somebody that two posts above did not even feel the need to mention that USB3 needs to be MANUALLY activated EACH TIME :)

That being said for your own example above - you "gained" 10 seconds to transfer those files, and you lost 10 seconds since you had to activate USB3 mode (which generated a delay not only since you had to activate it on the phone but also since the PC had to re-detect the device). That is precisely the definition of a gimmick :)

Yes, USB might be interesting one-time when you will really need to transfer 10 gbytes of data quickly from your internal storage (which I don't use that much anyway), but before that you really need to know how to activate this :)

And keep in mind that for the "external microSD" there is no real difference in speed (but a very large one in heat and power consumption).

sliyk

May 15, 2007
Coventry

xclub, you are such a life saver, i can call myself stupid, or i can call samsung stupid, but you sir have pointed out the obvious to me

thanks!

big thanks to pete4k as well!