[Q] How are you guys adding files to the external mount

Search This thread

videomilk

Jul 19, 2012
Hi, sorry if this has been answered but I've done a search. So I have my USB drive mounted and allso good but whats the best way to add new movies to the drive. The device appears in windows but I can't see the drive. I 've tried to map a network drive to 192.168.1.3\sdcard\usbStorage\sda1 but it won't connect.

I've also tried snappea but it doesn't see any network on the fire tv.

Any thoughts?

fireTVnews.com

Jun 6, 2014
www.fireTVnews.com
Hi, sorry if this has been answered but I've done a search. So I have my USB drive mounted and allso good but whats the best way to add new movies to the drive. The device appears in windows but I can't see the drive. I 've tried to map a network drive to 192.168.1.3\sdcard\usbStorage\sda1 but it won't connect.

Any thoughts?

I haven't tried this, but if you want to mount the drive or ftp files over, you could try one of the SMB or SSH server apps.

skrypj

Jan 17, 2011

Any thoughts?
Have you tries using adb to push files to the drive?

videomilk

Jul 19, 2012
So this worked a treat for me. Taken from another site

I just tested this: funkyfresh.samba (wasn't allowed to post the URL
First link, and it works fine once you set the screen to landscape.

Here a guide:

1. Download Samba Filesharing from above, sideload it, and launch it.
2. Press the button with the 3 horizontal lines on the remote and choose settings.
3. Set a password. Without a password the rest is greyed out. For test use 1234
4. Set screen orientation to Landscape, press back to exit and launch the app again.
5. Choose a username, default is SDCARD
6. Press back.
7. Press the button with the 3 horizontal lines on the remote and choose enable.
8. Wait a sec or 5. When asking for SU say YES, the app will exit to background.

On the windows computer:

1. Open windows explorer and choose connect to network drive.
2. Enter \\ipaddressofftv\SDCARD choose a drive letter, tick use different credentials and press OK.
3. In the username field enter: SDCARD in the password field: 1234
4. Press Ok.

You can choose to mount \\ipaddressofftv\usbStorage\<deviceid> in step #2 and thereby mount the harddrive directly if you don't care about having access to the rest on the box.

KillerJoeBR

Dec 27, 2013
You can choose to mount \\ipaddressofftv\usbStorage\<deviceid> in step #2 and thereby mount the harddrive directly if you don't care about having access to the rest on the box.

So does this work even after reboot?

I haven't tried it yet but i'm very interested about it. Thanks for the guide.

videomilk

Jul 19, 2012
So does this work even after reboot?

I haven't tried it yet but i'm very interested about it. Thanks for the guide.

After a reboot you need to run the stickmount and samba again. You don't need to change anythign on your pc though.

I don't think there is a way to load programs on boot for the fire tv until there is a custom Rom. I think.

wunderdrug

Jun 5, 2014
After a reboot you need to run the stickmount and samba again. You don't need to change anythign on your pc though.

I don't think there is a way to load programs on boot for the fire tv until there is a custom Rom. I think.

I think this is incorrect. I do have some apps, "Stickmount" included, which get executed automatically at boot time. It may be that "Samba Filesharing" just doesn't support this feature.

Try using "SambaDroid" instead of "Samba Filesharing". It is able to execute automatically at boot time.

KillerJoeBR

Dec 27, 2013
I think this is incorrect. I do have some apps, "Stickmount" included, which get executed automatically at boot time. It may be that "Samba Filesharing" just doesn't support this feature.

Try using "SambaDroid" instead of "Samba Filesharing". It is able to execute automatically at boot time.

Yeah i can confirm stickmount works automatically after reboot on my FTV.

I would really like this setup to work without needing to manually set it up everytime after a reboot. This way i can set my downloads directly to my portable hd plugged on my KFTV and not worry that it will fail. It would work almost like a server/NAS :victory::D

videomilk

Jul 19, 2012

I would really like this setup to work without needing to manually set it up everytime after a reboot. This way i can set my downloads directly to my portable hd plugged on my KFTV and not worry that it will fail. It would work almost like a server/NAS :victory::D

That's what I'm trying to achieve. I'm going to start messing around with a usenet client on the fire tv and see if I can have it downloading to the external drive. It would be a great little setup .

Reactions: KillerJoeBR

KillerJoeBR

Dec 27, 2013
That's what I'm trying to achieve. I'm going to start messing around with a usenet client on the fire tv and see if I can have it downloading to the external drive. It would be a great little setup .

Yeah. That would be ideal. But i would be satisfied if i can access the portable hd from my network and then send my downloads to it from my main pc.

I think i will try the sambadroid and see if it works at boot. Anyway give us any update of your progress.

Enviado de meu GT-N7100 usando Tapatalk

KillerJoeBR

Dec 27, 2013
Just want to give a status update. I tried sambadroid and it works ok even after reboot.

But my transfer speed over wifi is quite slow. Around 1.5mb/s. Maybe its my router but i could get better speed with my old htpc. Maybe it's sambadroid. The app says i can get better speeds with paid pro version. Or maybe i need to be wires to get better speed.

Anyway i want you guys to know my progress.

Reactions: fireTVnews.com

videomilk

Jul 19, 2012
Just want to give a status update. I tried sambadroid and it works ok even after reboot.

But my transfer speed over wifi is quite slow. Around 1.5mb/s. Maybe its my router but i could get better speed with my old htpc. Maybe it's sambadroid. The app says i can get better speeds with paid pro version. Or maybe i need to be wires to get better speed.

Yeah I'm getting about 1.6mb/s with funky fresh samba. Pretty slow.

jmerrilljr2

Jul 13, 2014
So this worked a treat for me. Taken from another site

I just tested this: funkyfresh.samba (wasn't allowed to post the URL
First link, and it works fine once you set the screen to landscape.

Here a guide:

1. Download Samba Filesharing from above, sideload it, and launch it.
2. Press the button with the 3 horizontal lines on the remote and choose settings.
3. Set a password. Without a password the rest is greyed out. For test use 1234
4. Set screen orientation to Landscape, press back to exit and launch the app again.
5. Choose a username, default is SDCARD
6. Press back.
7. Press the button with the 3 horizontal lines on the remote and choose enable.
8. Wait a sec or 5. When asking for SU say YES, the app will exit to background.

On the windows computer:

1. Open windows explorer and choose connect to network drive.
2. Enter \\ipaddressofftv\SDCARD choose a drive letter, tick use different credentials and press OK.
3. In the username field enter: SDCARD in the password field: 1234
4. Press Ok.

My USB Drive is formatted as ex-fat. While I can mount the drive the Firetv only sees around 5gb of free space when actually there is 300+. Any suggestions? I'm on a Mac and cant use Windows NT formatting.

akajack

May 4, 2009
usb drive and ftp

Plugged in a 2TB USB drive to the FireTV, installed an ftp server on the FireTV, put cyberduck (ftp client) on my Windows 7 machine.

Now I can create directories on the USB drive on the FireTV from my Windows machine and ftp files into those directories. XBMC sees them fine and plays them.

I cannot ftp any file over 2GB it fails every time (no mater if ftp or ssh or different client on the Windows box.) I CAN add files over 2GB to the USB drive if it detach it and plug it direct into my Windows machine and transfer the files. Then the FireTV and XBMC can see those files and use them normally.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.