Galaxy S5 Sudden Death?

Search This thread

Kingithy

May 20, 2011
Hi guys,

I've had my S5 for a few days now, but I've found that it's now essentially bricked.
I rooted my G900I (Asia) using CF-Root for G900F with no issues at all. Everything worked fine, as
had been reported by several other users. I then flashed AllianceROM V1 and everything was fine.
Just yesterday, I flashed the Custom Settings patch and one of the updates, and it seemed to be ok.

Suddenly, the battery started to die fairly quickly. I didn't worry about this at the time, as it'sa new phone,
I have only performed one full battery cycle, it's probably just calibrating etc etc.
I got home and plugged it in to charge, it had gone from 40% to 13% in a few hours. I had force-stopped NFC
(which I noticed the NFC on/off tab was greyed out in the on position, still a grey toggle button though).
At around 20% i flashed OmegaROM 1.3 to see if it was the ROM causing the issue, but nothign changed.
I noticed even while plugged in I was losing battery. I switched it to Ultra Power Save mode, and the battery
stayed at a steady 9% (seemed like it was charging, but the battery was draining so fast it was just staying at 9%).

The battery estimate was 1.1 days. Within 5 hours it was dead.
I plugged it in, and saw the charging animation (just a frozen empty battery though) and after about half an hour, the
image disappeared. I tried to turn it on, but it did nothing.
I took out the battery for 30seconds/1minute, but it didn't make a difference. Charged it all night, it still won't turn on.
Has anyone heard of or experienced this before?

I'm going to try and take it back to the Samsung store to see what they say...

cheetah2k

May 27, 2008
Brisbane
Hi guys,

I've had my S5 for a few days now, but I've found that it's now essentially bricked.
I rooted my G900I (Asia) using CF-Root for G900F with no issues at all. Everything worked fine, as
had been reported by several other users. I then flashed AllianceROM V1 and everything was fine.
Just yesterday, I flashed the Custom Settings patch and one of the updates, and it seemed to be ok.

Suddenly, the battery started to die fairly quickly. I didn't worry about this at the time, as it'sa new phone,
I have only performed one full battery cycle, it's probably just calibrating etc etc.
I got home and plugged it in to charge, it had gone from 40% to 13% in a few hours. I had force-stopped NFC
(which I noticed the NFC on/off tab was greyed out in the on position, still a grey toggle button though).
At around 20% i flashed OmegaROM 1.3 to see if it was the ROM causing the issue, but nothign changed.
I noticed even while plugged in I was losing battery. I switched it to Ultra Power Save mode, and the battery
stayed at a steady 9% (seemed like it was charging, but the battery was draining so fast it was just staying at 9%).

The battery estimate was 1.1 days. Within 5 hours it was dead.
I plugged it in, and saw the charging animation (just a frozen empty battery though) and after about half an hour, the
image disappeared. I tried to turn it on, but it did nothing.
I took out the battery for 30seconds/1minute, but it didn't make a difference. Charged it all night, it still won't turn on.
Has anyone heard of or experienced this before?

I'm going to try and take it back to the Samsung store to see what they say...

Thats what happens when you flash custom FW. no guarantees... good luck with warranty!

Kingithy

May 20, 2011
Thats what happens when you flash custom FW. no guarantees... good luck with warranty!

I went to the samsing store and the lady swapped the battery with a demo model battery and it works just fine!
She also said that the warranty is void as I've installed a custom ROM. I just played dumb haha.
Battery doesnt seem to be draining anymore, so must have been a dud battery.

Phewwww, time to let the relief sink in.

EDIT: One thing worth noting is that the old battery was actually charging when the Samsung lady tried in another device. Not sure why, hopefully its not my phone that's draining the battery.

Kingithy

May 20, 2011
Ugh, so it seems like my phone is just a faulty one.
It keeps draining the battery, even while plugged in, and after the battery has been swapped out for another.
I'll be sending this one back to the carrier to see if they can replace it for me. I've restored it back to stock, and I'll be removing the custom recovery. Hopefully they'll ignore/won't notice the tripped Knox.
Ha. Good luck to me...

Kingithy

May 20, 2011
All the best.. Hope they swap it for a new one.. keep us posted on how it goes..

Optus has approved my claim for a new phone!
The Optus staff member classed it as "ELF" which is Early Life Failure, so it was seen as a faulty unit, I guess.
This was decided as it was charging issue and was within 30 days of receiving the handset.

I'm just waiting on a new phone to be delivered to the store so I can pick it up!

Kingithy

May 20, 2011
Congrats m8... did the staff check to see if the knox was tripped?

Thanks!
I'm not too sure at all... I haven't been told any of the details regarding how and what they checked.
The Optus staff member told me that they would just do a brief check at the assessment center.
They also didn't send it back to Samsung, they just sent it back to Optus' warehouse (though I tracked it to
TOLL Customised Solutions in Victoria).

Though I did reset everything: flashed stock ROM (though it had no Optus CSC), allowed stock recovery
to re-flash, changed all settings back to stock. The stock ROM made the ROM Status go back to "Official", as well.
So unless they checked the recovery and the KNOX counter there (I'm not sure of any other way to see it),
then they wouldn't have seen it.