Broken Digitizer Options?

Search This thread

rwilpstra

Jan 3, 2013
Hello everyone! So, I was laying down, using my XTZ when I accidentally dropped it. As it was falling, I sort of "caught it", but not without hitting it against the side of my bed quite forcefully. Long story short, the digitizer seems to be broken. The screen will not respond to touch neither on cm11 nor in recovery (which, btw, has some basic touch features built in.) I don't use the XTZ much, so I'm just wondering if there is a best option here other than just leaving it and using a mouse and keyboard. Thanks in advance!

Rootk1t

Jun 2, 2013
Hello everyone! So, I was laying down, using my XTZ when I accidentally dropped it. As it was falling, I sort of "caught it", but not without hitting it against the side of my bed quite forcefully. Long story short, the digitizer seems to be broken. The screen will not respond to touch neither on cm11 nor in recovery (which, btw, has some basic touch features built in.) I don't use the XTZ much, so I'm just wondering if there is a best option here other than just leaving it and using a mouse and keyboard. Thanks in advance!
you can buy a new one glass/digitizer and replace it yourself or via service center.

mrchumley

May 7, 2014
Cracked screen or LCD as well

I'm in the same boat as @rwilpstra but my damage was due to a hammer which bounced out of my hands over my shoulder and landed on it 7ft away :crying: The glass is shattered, the touch screen is unresponsive but the image underneath is OK (none of the usual liquid "pooling"). An engineer for the insurance company has looked at it briefly and said its uneconomical to repair as the "touch screen is broken". He's sending it me back so I thought I'd have a go (I've done a couple of cracked phone screens so not a total noob)

My possibly stupid questions are:
  1. On the XTZ is there any chance the LCD could be damaged even though its not visibly damaged? I'm guessing not but someone who knows about LCDs may know different.
  2. Are the cheap Chinese replacement touch screens any good or do you get what you pay for? They don't seem to be Sony branded.
  3. I take it the touch screen always comes with the glass and digitizer?