[CLOSED][DEVS ONLY][BCM21553] Samsung Galaxy Pocket GT-S5300 (Cori) Development Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

streambinder

Jun 3, 2014
Rome
General informations:
This thread's aim is only to represent a central meeting and discussion point for BCM21553 developers and, in particular, for the open Kernel/ROM sources development for the Samsung Galaxy Pocket GT-S5300 (codenamed Cori).

Information for common users:
As already described in the previous section, if you are not a developer, please restrict your posts to the general discussion thread so that developers can maintain good communication. Every post that is not strictly respecting these rules will be reported to the forum moderators. Thanks for your understanding.

For any other BCM21553 device related question or information, please, use this thread as a reference point, instead:

Last edited:
Reactions: mahdy666 and akhbh

streambinder

Jun 3, 2014
Rome
As someone already might know, I'm streambinder, from MoltenMotherBoard team.
I have already followed some projects for the GT-S5300, but especially kept in contact
with some of the events related to the porting of ROM and Kernel sources for BCM21553 chipset based devices.

In this precise moment, the sources in my possession allow you to be able to compile
a bugfree CWM 5.0.2.8 (based on CyanogenMod 7 code) with a kernel based on the Samsung stock one.
The only - fundamental - problem was due to the fact that unless I hadn't used the prebuilt INIT binary
token in the Samsung stock firmware boot.img, the phone would not work - or, better, boot up.
This means that until the situation - regarding this issue - doesn't change, our access to the porting of custom ROM
would be barred.

Recently, I decided to give Cori another chance and rework my sources, looking at the wonderful work brought
by the BroadcomCM team on CyanogenMod 9 (in particular, thanks to @bieltv.3 and @Alberto96) and @psyke83 on CyanogenMod 11.
They've not only been able to run these two ROMs in a more or less crude way, but this developer has been able to write
the necessary strings to make the INIT binary of some of these BCM21553 devices opensource.

Strong of this informations, I readjusted some of the sources of BroadcomCM's CyangenMod 9, which includes
all the progress carried out by both the team and psyke83, in order to make them work even on Cori,
and am now next to the first test of the CWM 6.X.X.X, based on IceCreamSandwich code.
At the same time, @akhbh is working on the KitKat code based CWM.

I hope I can give more information about any progress as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: mahdy666 and akhbh

streambinder

Jun 3, 2014
Rome
Made a first test of CWM based on CyanogenMod 9 code.
It seems it cannot flash it as it weighs so much compared to its partition configuration value: in fact, the maximum boot partition size is set up to 5.0MB, but the compiled boot.img weighs 5.3MB.

Will have to resize its weight in order to make it fill into the partition.
@akhbh, have you had any complication in these terms, with CyanogenMod 11 sources?
@psyke83, what do you suggest to do? Do you think an increasement of boot partition would be a better idea?

Reactions: akhbh and mahdy666

akhbh

Jan 15, 2014
Varanasi
OnePlus 8T
It seems it cannot flash it as it weighs so much compared to its partition configuration value: in fact, the maximum boot partition size is set up to 5.0MB, but the compiled boot.img weighs 5.3MB.

@akhbh, have you had any complication in these terms, with CyanogenMod 11 sources?
@psyke83, what do you suggest to do? Do you think an increasement of boot partition would be a better idea?
No, I didn't faced those complications. My boot.img weighted around 4.5 MB in lzma compression mode. In gzip, it increased to more than 5 mb.

Reactions: dmax4011

akhbh

Jan 15, 2014
Varanasi
OnePlus 8T
Perfect.
Which kernel have you based your build on?

Well, I took the GeTux kernel for cori, had to change the board name though and then compile it. CWM was booting even before changing the board name but there was no reaction from the phone on trying to boot cm9/cm11
And after changing board name, a black screen on trying to boot

Another info: When tried to merge cori source into the bcm21553 common one, it did compile but gave bootloop of GT-S5300 logo on trying to boot as well as when trying to go in CWM.

Bieltv.3 recommended to use cori source instead of the bcm21553 common one so we used cori sources

Last edited:

streambinder

Jun 3, 2014
Rome
Well, I took the GeTux kernel for cori, had to change the board name though and then compile it. CWM was booting even before changing the board name but there was no reaction from the phone on trying to boot cm9/cm11
And after changing board name, a black screen on trying to boot

Another info: When tried to merge cori source into the bcm21553 common one, it did compile but gave bootloop of GT-S5300 logo on trying to boot as well as when trying to go in CWM.

Bieltv.3 recommended to use cori source instead of the bcm21553 common one so we used cori sources
I suggest to use our Kernel sources for now, too: it will automatically bypass few errors/issues/bootloops that we cannot now fight with.
The most important thing is to make INIT working from sources (hope it will be working
on my CM9 sources, too) and check that every our configuration is correctly working and
making Cori boot into recovery.

Once we'll make it perfectly working without any kind of issue, will be the right time to try
to make Cori supported with the BC21553-common kernel.

akhbh

Jan 15, 2014
Varanasi
OnePlus 8T
I suggest to use our Kernel sources for now, too: it will automatically bypass few errors/issues/bootloops that we cannot now fight with.
The most important thing is to make INIT working from sources (hope it will be working
on my CM9 sources, too) and check that every our configuration is correctly working and
making Cori boot into recovery.

Once we'll make it perfectly working without any kind of issue, will be the right time to try
to make Cori supported with the BC21553-common kernel.

Okay, I will use your kernel sources and try if something is changed once I reach home. For now, I neither have this device nor a PC, as I'm in another city.
Will be keenly watching your work. Will start after reaching home around the end of September :)

streambinder

Jun 3, 2014
Rome
Okay, I will use your kernel sources and try if something is changed once I reach home. For now, I neither have this device nor a PC, as I'm in another city.
Will be keenly watching your work. Will start after reaching home around the end of September :)
No problem, mate.
Here you have every source in my possession:

Keep in contact with me, as I will need some informations by you.

Anyway I'm now making another build, keeping some not so much important binaries excluded, so that I can make the compiled boot.img fill into our little Cori's boot partition. I know it's a dirty workaround, but if it works, I'll use it untill @psyke83 will suggest me a better way to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: akhbh

cleverior.ipul

Nov 1, 2012
Bogor
sae-pool.blogspot.com
No problem, mate.
Here you have every source in my possession:

Keep in contact with me, as I will need some informations by you.

Anyway I'm now making another build, keeping some not so much important binaries excluded, so that I can make the compiled boot.img fill into our little Cori's boot partition. I know it's a dirty workaround, but if it works, I'll use it untill @psyke83 will suggest me a better way to do.

have u tried to build cwm v6 from cm9 source ??

streambinder

Jun 3, 2014
Rome
have u tried to build cwm v6 from cm9 source ??
Of course, mate. I'm working on it, right now.
It doesn't seem to boot, strange if the same INIT binary sources are working for @akhbh.

#UPDATE
In order to troubleshoot, I'll give you some info.
For his build I used these sources:
Applied some lines on our bcm21553-bootimg.mk, too, in order to exclude parted and mke2fs and make the compiled boot.img weigh less.

@cleverior.ipul, can you link me your kernel sources, as akhbh said he used your ones for CM11.
@akhbh, which modifies have you applied in order to compile CWM based on CM11 code? Which device tree?

#UPDATE 2
Attached my compiled boot.img.
If anyone of you would extract it (you can easily use this tool: bootimgtools - read how to use it in the README) and make a diff with the CM11 one (just extract the ramdisk of both boot.imgs and - in the terminal - use this command: diff -urN /path/to/cm9/ramdisk /path/to/cm11/ramdisk > diff.patch), would make to me a huge favour.
Let me know.

Attachments

• boot.img
    4.7 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Reactions: BiTaff

akhbh

Jan 15, 2014
Varanasi
OnePlus 8T
It doesn't seem to boot, strange if the same INIT binary sources are working for @akhbh.

#UPDATE
Applied some lines on our bcm21553-bootimg.mk, too, in order to exclude parted and mke2fs and make the compiled boot.img weigh less.

@cleverior.ipul, can you link me your kernel sources, as akhbh said he used your ones for CM11.
@akhbh, which modifies have you applied in order to compile CWM based on CM11 code? Which device tree?

#UPDATE 2
If anyone of you would extract it (you can easily use this tool: bootimgtools - read how to use it in the README) and make a diff with the CM11 one (just extract the ramdisk of both boot.imgs and - in the terminal - use this command: diff -urN /path/to/cm9/ramdisk /path/to/cm11/ramdisk > diff.patch), would make to me a huge favour.
Let me know.
I think we didn't had significant changes. Perhaps the same as totoro. But, that resulted in the internal_sd not mounting error in cwm.
Sadly, as said before, I am away from my home city and can't provide the files to you and can't do the boot.img diffs as well :(
Try to ask psyke83, he might have a solution for that

Last edited:

streambinder

Jun 3, 2014
Rome
I think we didn't had significant changes. Perhaps the same as totoro. But, that resulted in the internal_sd not mounting error in cwm.
Sadly, as said before, I am away from my home city and can't provide the files to you and can't do the boot.img diffs as well :(
Try to ask psyke83, he might have a solution for that
Then, if you didn't make any massive change upon the sources, then I'll only try using your kernel.
Can you give me your kernel sources, mate, please? :)

akhbh

Jan 15, 2014
Varanasi
OnePlus 8T
Then, if you didn't make any massive change upon the sources, then I'll only try using your kernel.
Can you give me your kernel sources, mate, please? :)
Currently, I can provide you the boot.img only. For the sources, @cleverior.ipul can provide the kernel sources coz as said earlier, his kernel is used. Well, we were working together to bring cm11 but weren't successful

cleverior.ipul

Nov 1, 2012
Bogor
sae-pool.blogspot.com

#UPDATE

#UPDATE 2
Let me know.

here the link source https://github.com/cleverior/android_kernel_samsung_cori

i've changed the board name. If your device can not boot after using the zImage from this source, then rename init.bcm21553.rc to init.gt-s5300.rc.

akhbh

Jan 15, 2014
Varanasi
OnePlus 8T
@streambinder, what is grom? As bieltv.3 said that init built grom for cori is required to fix adb over cwm recovery. If adb gets working, then possibly the black screen while booting cm11 might get fixed

Last edited:

streambinder

Jun 3, 2014
Rome
@streambinder, what is grom? As bieltv.3 said that init built grom for cori is required to fix adb over cwm recovery. If adb gets working, then possibly the black screen while booting cm11 might get fixed

Sincerely don't what are you talking about.
Anyway, have to try to understand where's the problem with the not-booting CWM.
Will try with your sources and let you know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    General informations:
    This thread's aim is only to represent a central meeting and discussion point for BCM21553 developers and, in particular, for the open Kernel/ROM sources development for the Samsung Galaxy Pocket GT-S5300 (codenamed Cori).

Information for common users:
    As already described in the previous section, if you are not a developer, please restrict your posts to the general discussion thread so that developers can maintain good communication. Every post that is not strictly respecting these rules will be reported to the forum moderators. Thanks for your understanding.

For any other BCM21553 device related question or information, please, use this thread as a reference point, instead:
    As someone already might know, I'm streambinder, from MoltenMotherBoard team.
    I have already followed some projects for the GT-S5300, but especially kept in contact
    with some of the events related to the porting of ROM and Kernel sources for BCM21553 chipset based devices.

In this precise moment, the sources in my possession allow you to be able to compile
    a bugfree CWM 5.0.2.8 (based on CyanogenMod 7 code) with a kernel based on the Samsung stock one.
    The only - fundamental - problem was due to the fact that unless I hadn't used the prebuilt INIT binary
    token in the Samsung stock firmware boot.img, the phone would not work - or, better, boot up.
    This means that until the situation - regarding this issue - doesn't change, our access to the porting of custom ROM
    would be barred.

Recently, I decided to give Cori another chance and rework my sources, looking at the wonderful work brought
    by the BroadcomCM team on CyanogenMod 9 (in particular, thanks to @bieltv.3 and @Alberto96) and @psyke83 on CyanogenMod 11.
    They've not only been able to run these two ROMs in a more or less crude way, but this developer has been able to write
    the necessary strings to make the INIT binary of some of these BCM21553 devices opensource.

Strong of this informations, I readjusted some of the sources of BroadcomCM's CyangenMod 9, which includes
    all the progress carried out by both the team and psyke83, in order to make them work even on Cori,
    and am now next to the first test of the CWM 6.X.X.X, based on IceCreamSandwich code.
    At the same time, @akhbh is working on the KitKat code based CWM.

I hope I can give more information about any progress as soon as possible.
    The General Discussion thread for non-development issues is here:
    *.[DISCUSSION] CyanogenMod 11 For Galaxy Pocket GT-S5300 Discussion Thread

Currently, I can provide you the boot.img only. For the sources, @cleverior.ipul can provide the kernel sources.
    Ok, please send it to me, will compare it with my package. ;)