Entourage pocket edge development

Search This thread

brianb5010

May 16, 2011
I keep getting a Force Close when I try to open the Market. It worked long enough to let me register my Google account but hasn't opened since. I edited the build.prop but no dice. Any suggestions?

Sent from my edgejr using XDA Premium App

Did you use Titanium Backup to convert the Market and GoogleServicesFramework to a system app? I kept getting a force close before I did that.

brianb5010

May 16, 2011
I can understand not wanting to send me the files if they might nclude personal data, I wouldnt either.does anyone know if this would have a chance of working usong the android emulator so there would not be any personal data involved? or for that matter if someone has a virgin phone that they wouldnt mind rooting and sending files from before any personal data is placed on it?

I would send you files and create a nice tutarial if I had the time...just been crazy busy. I've attached some files that should work...these aren't the ones I used, but should be the correct version 2.2.1. (I'm at work now) Maybe you can get them installed with package manager, adb, Titanium Backup, or some combination of them? Don't forget you need the most recent pro version of Titanium Backup to get all the bells and whistles. Start by focusing on only GoogleServicesFramework.apk and Vending.apk. Also, I'd use Titanium to convert them to system once they are installed. Good luck!!

Attachments

• gapps.zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 505
Reactions: emusan

hemAndroid

Dec 2, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Stock recovery:

I believe this may help

1. Download Golden Update from Entourage here:

2. Rename the file to update.zip then copy the update to the root of an SD card and pop the SD card in your eDGe

3. Press and hold "rotate" and "menu" buttons and turn on your eDGe using power button. You need to hold "rotate" and "menu" for about 7 seconds to start firmware update process.

I believe this ought to factory reset your edge.

After you flashed the clockworkmod recovery, did you try doing this with the "rotate and menu" buttons? I am guessing you did and nothing happened.

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
Did you use Titanium Backup to convert the Market and GoogleServicesFramework to a system app? I kept getting a force close before I did that.

They restored as system apps so I didn't need to convert them. I will attempt to post a logcat.

Logcat attached. It looks to me like it something in the Services Framework but I have no idea what it is or what else could be going on here. Anyone else running into this problem or have an idea as to how to fix it?

Attachments

• alogcat.2011-05-18-14-43-52-0400.txt
    30.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

emusan

May 15, 2011
www.somestupidwebsite.com
Just got all the gapps working, all I had to do was install them normally then convert each to system files.

However, now I'm running into the problem with the accounts, whenever I try to sign in I get the network error, I tried the youtube workaround (didn't want to do that first as it was mentioned that it could cause sync issues), but now it just comes up saying that it has encountered an error and needs to close(on the terms acceptance screen I think).

If anyone has any idea what this might be that would be great, I can post a log and any other info you would need/want. Thanks :)

Oh, should be noted that I did not use a backup from another phone, but just the gapps posted in the zip file above, so I might be missing some required data...

Last edited:

exmortius

Nov 29, 2010
Hi everyone, Thanks for your replay kennyminot, I had to fly back to NJ so i did not have time to replay,anyway I finely got gmail voice and talk to work. I used the files and adb script from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=937752
Code:
adb push Vending.apk /system/app
adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /system/app
adb push Gmail.apk /system/app
adb push Maps.apk /system/app
adb push Talk.apk /system/app
adb push GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk /system/app
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/app/Vending.apk
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/app/Gmail.apk
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/app/Maps.apk
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/app/Talk.apk
adb shell chmod 6755 /system/app/GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
adb reboot

I copy the adb commands to a txt file added the rest of the apk to the txt then saved it as a .cmd file run it from your adb directory
it will push all the files with the correct permissions also making them system files.

seeing how I changed settings and files I am going to do a restore/downgrade then update. and try brianb5010 way of installing.

Code:
	 Revert from Ermine (Froyo) back to Dingo
The process to revert from Ermine (Froyo) back to Dingo is detailed below. NO userdata will be saved. This is NOT an update or downgrade, it is a reformat of the edge/pocket and will delete all of your data and configurations.

BEFORE YOU START - Login to your account and opt-out of the beta so you don't update to it again!

1. Download the Golden Update file for edge or pocket edge. 
  eDGe 2.0 http://www.entourageedge.com/support/rsc/updates/latest-edge2/update.golden.zip
  Pocket http://www.entourageedge.com/support/rsc/updates/latest-pocket/update.golden.zip
 2. Rename the file to "update.zip" 
3. Place this file in the root (not a subdirectory) of a USB stick 
4. Verify your edge/pocket is OFF. 
5. Insert the USB stick into a USB port on the device. 
6. While holding down the MENU and ROTATE buttons on the LCD side of the device, press the power key. 
7. Continue to hold the MENU and ROTATE keys down for 10 seconds. 8. After 1-2 minutes you should see an "Updating software" splash screen. Because we are downgrading versions of Android in this procedure, there is a catch. The procedure above will not be able to completely update, and we will need to run the update procedure twice. 
 9. After the "Updating Software" splash screen has been displayed for MORE than 20 minutes, press the reset button with a paper clip on the pocket. On the eDGe, remove the battery and AC. 
10. Once the eDGe/pocket is off, leave the USB stick inserted and while holding down the MENU and ROTATE buttons on the LCD side of the device, press the power key. 
11. Continue to hold the MENU and ROTATE keys for 10 seconds. 
12. After 1-2 minutes you should see an "Updating software" splash screen. 
13. After ~15 minutes the device will reboot and will be running the latest Donut (Dingo) build.

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
Just got all the gapps working, all I had to do was install them normally then convert each to system files.

However, now I'm running into the problem with the accounts, whenever I try to sign in I get the network error, I tried the youtube workaround (didn't want to do that first as it was mentioned that it could cause sync issues), but now it just comes up saying that it has encountered an error and needs to close(on the terms acceptance screen I think).

If anyone has any idea what this might be that would be great, I can post a log and any other info you would need/want. Thanks :)

Oh, should be noted that I did not use a backup from another phone, but just the gapps posted in the zip file above, so I might be missing some required data...

I copied the exact backups of the working apps from my PE to my boyfriend's and restored them from TiBU. Go figure, I'm getting that same #$%^ed error as you. It will let him sign into his account and check Gmail but we can't access the Market. He took his with him for the day so maybe you can post a log and I can try to figure out what's going on? I'll also check the log on his tonight and see if it's the same issue. Don't know if I'll be able to determine a fix (I'm not good with code but Google is always helpful) but it's worth a try.

brianb5010

May 16, 2011
I copied the exact backups of the working apps from my PE to my boyfriend's and restored them from TiBU. Go figure, I'm getting that same #$%^ed error as you. It will let him sign into his account and check Gmail but we can't access the Market. He took his with him for the day so maybe you can post a log and I can try to figure out what's going on? I'll also check the log on his tonight and see if it's the same issue. Don't know if I'll be able to determine a fix (I'm not good with code but Google is always helpful) but it's worth a try.

Did you do the convert from system to user app, then back to system on the edge? I tried a normal backup/restore and it didn't work until I did the convert process. I'm not sure exactly why it works...I think it's a combination of fixing permissions, Market requiring itself to be a system app, and Titanium allowing everything to install even if the regular package installer would fail.

emusan

May 15, 2011
I've attached the log, this time I ran into a crash upon first trying to open the market, and then I tried opening it again and it brought me to the add a google account page, which then led to the network error I had earlier. I'll take a look through this after work, but if you find anything out before then let me know.

Also, I would like to note that I couldn't get the google backup application installed for some reason, if anyone thinks its necessary I can post a log of that as well.

Sorry if I logged this wrong, I'm rather new to android and even doing this kind of stuff in any OS lol.

EDIT 1: After quickly looking over the log, it seems as though the calender service thinks that its 1970 for some reason, maybe this is causing the problem? Perhaps when the apps are from a back-up it keeps the date and time that the calender has stored... Unfortunately, I see no way to change this date and time because my systems time is correct, which is why I wonder where this 1970 is coming from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@Keslynn, did you edit the line of the build.prop file on your boyfriends edge? that could be the problem...

EDIT 2: The actual communication error seems to be on line 100 with:
Code:
E/vending ( 7933): [17] MarketWidgetProvider$UpdateTask.doInBackground(): com.android.vending.api.FatalCommunicationException: Sent a bad request.

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    10.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

kennyminot

Jan 9, 2011
Some Advice

Keslynn:

I know two things about the procedure that are absolutely essential:

1. You absolutely must backup/restore the DATA+APP from the working Android device. I used my LG Optimus V. I backed up the data from that phone and then restored it on my Pocket Edge. For some reason, restoring both the app and the data is essential to the process. Did you do both, or did you just restore the apps?

2. You might try doing what the G-tablet folk call the "Market Fix" after you restore the apps. I was having some problems with not all the apps showing in the Market, so I followed this procedure:

A. Go to the "manage applications" settings.
B. Select the "running" apps.
C. Choose "Google Services Framework," push on "Force Stop," and then clear the data.
D. Go to the Market, selected "Force Stop," and then cleared the cache. It is absolutely essential that you keep the data in order for this to work. Only clear the cache.
E. Then, go into the Market and make sure you get the dreaded error.
F. Restart and see if it works.

3. Make sure you edit the build.prop file as stated previously in the thread.

Other than that, I don't know what to say. Worked like a charm for me. :)

Emusan:

From what I can tell, it is absolutely essential that you backup the data from a working Android phone. I have no idea why, but I fiddled with the damn thing for hours with the just the gapp *.apk files. You might want to try exmortius's strategy of using adb to push the files to you Edge. I had a little trouble getting adb to recognize my device, but I'm a newbie. I'm sure you more experienced folk will have better luck figuring it out.

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
@emusan
I am unsure why Calendar would think it's 1970. Maybe clear data for Calendar Sync and reset the sync?

@kennyminot I did every step in the post on the Edge forums with App & Data restored with files from my Vibrant. When those didn't work, I tried App & Data from my Edge, which has a working Market. I will continue to try to get it to work.

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
Got the Market working on my boyfriend's Edge! It worked after I uninstalled and then reinstalled the app & data from my phone. Maybe it works better for some devices if you install the gapps after modifying the build.prop?

kennyminot

Jan 9, 2011
FYI

Just a notice . . .

Entourage appears to be rapidly stripping things off their website. At the moment, I'm not sure if people will still be able to update their devices to Ermine. I would recommend avoiding anything that might screw up your device until we get access to an update.zip with the Ermine files. Otherwise, you'll be permanently stuck with 1.6. <shudders>

I contacted Entourage to see if I get an update.zip with the Ermine files. Hopefully, they will provide this final gift to their customers, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks,
K

emusan

May 15, 2011
Did anyone else get a notification for an update for their PE recently? I'm wondering if its a real update or just a side effect of my screwing around with my PE... If it is a real update, would updating screw up my progress with market?

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
I installed the update. Not sure if it is an actual update or a result of modding. It will restore your system folder and you'll lose your progress. It doesn't affect the build.prop mod though.

emusan

May 15, 2011
Apparently my dad hasn't seen the update yet, so it may well be due to the modding... I think I'll wait a bit to upgrade myself.

Also, to anyone reading this with a rooted phone and working data(copypasted from a PM to kennyminot, though I don't know if he's seen it yet):
I was wondering if there is any chance you could send me your backups of your gapps from your phone. I know you might be worried about the personal information, which is why I'm asking if you could perhaps send it privately(through PM or email)... I know there is still the chance that I could misuse the data(if any is contained in there), but I think it would be really helpful to everyone if it was possible to access the market without needing another rooted phone, I hope you agree that it is worth the possible risk. I will of course let you know if I find anything that could be considered personal data, and I will confirm with you before anything goes public(assuming I find a way around at all lol). Right now I'm thinking that it may be due to the dates with the calendar, so if you feel more comfortable sending me just that backup(calender sync) that's okay. I am quite new to all of this, so I can't make any promises that anything will come out of this, but you never know.

Thanks in advance if anyone decides to send the files... I'll keep doing what I can to get a version working without rooting, but its not too easy(especially given my knowledge of android, AKA none lol).

exmortius

Nov 29, 2010
Its DONE

The enTourage eDGe store has closed as of 05/21/2011. We appreciate all of our customers and want you to enjoy your enTourage eDGe for the foreseeable future.

We have shut down our content store but we made sure you still had an option. Click here for directions on purchasing and downloading e-books from the Google ebookstore.

If you have purchased content and have not yet downloaded it, you have until May 27, 2011 to do so. After May 27, 2011, the enTourage eDGe store will cease operations. At that point in time you will still be able to purchase e-books from the Google ebookstore.

As for Apps, we really like what Amazon has done with an Android App store. Go to the Amazon page and download the Android Store App and you will now have access to a lot of Android Apps that Google would never give us access to.

In order for new users to register their device and purchase e-books from other sources, the registration server that controls the registration information of the device will remain online for the foreseeable future.

We wish you all the best of luck and appreciate your support in trying to bring a new generation of innovative devices to market.

Best Regards,
enTourage Systems

exmortius

Nov 29, 2010
I still have not got market working, get this Error “Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. My Phone Has CyanogenMod on it, tried the TB method, Did not work also all other methods posted. also if I use the YouTube method to login gmail works but get a Error in Market. We need to get the Ermine update.zip, I tried to find it when I was downloading using DroidExplorer but could not.

VeeDubb65

May 21, 2011
Also, to anyone reading this with a rooted phone and working data(copypasted from a PM to kennyminot, though I don't know if he's seen it yet):
I was wondering if there is any chance you could send me your backups of your gapps from your phone.

+1 I realize that this is my first actual post here, but I bought my fiance a PE from woot, and I would love to get the market and other google apps working on it for her. I knew the market wouldn't work, but I had no idea that you couldn't even sync the contacts.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ALL google apps are now working correctly. FYI, I learned through the process that if you have to register through the youtube app, Gmail might not sync correctly and you may have problems with the market. This made my pocket edge 10000x more valuable...so give it a try!

I'll try to explain how I did it, I made so many changes it's hard to be sure what the fix was.

To do this the way I did, you will need a rooted phone with the 2.2.1 version of Google apps. This might work with another version of Gapps? Hopefully someone can find an easier method.

On the phone:

1) Convert all google apps to "User Apps" available in Titanium Backup Pro 3.8.1 by long pressing on the app and scrolling to the bottum. I'm not sure which files made it work, but GoogleServicesFramework and Vendor are important. I also did NetworkLocation, MarketUpdater, Gmail, Youtube and the rest.

2) Backup all google apps + data to mini SD card.

On the pocket edge:

1) Put mini SD card in edge and restore all google apps + data. You will need the pro version of Titanium Backup to use the fast install method. This was the main reason I used Titanium Backup was that some of the required files failed on using the package manager.

2) Now, convert all those installed user apps on the edge BACK to system apps. VERY important, took my awhile to figure this out. I suspect that google apps have to be system apps to work correctly.

3) Give it a try, if Market gives you an error, reboot and wait for a network to be connected, then try again. Go to the next step only if you have issues with it. You should be able to set up your google account through Market or GMail.

4) I also did the "Market Fix", which involves changing your build.prop with Root Explorer to include "ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2/FRF91/43546:user/release-keys" A tutorial is found here: http://xdaforums.com/archive/index.php/t-861044.html We might be able to find a fingerprint that more closely matches the edge?

Some of the apps still won't install (like Angry Birds), I suspect this is a hardware problem.

The titanium method may not be necessary if anyone wants to copy the gapps apks to the /system/app folder with root exploer and use another method to make it work.

Good luck everyone!!!
    How To Guide

I've posted a full description of the procedure for getting the Android Market to work on the Entourage forums. Once again, thanks to brianb5010 for figuring this out! Right now, the process requires having another rooted Android device with access to the Market.

Here's the link:

http://www.entourageedge.com/forums...Android-Market-on-your-eDGe&p=20563#post20563
    Checking in too, I got mine yesterday and am very excited about the device.
    What I was able to establish quickly is that most 2.2 apps will work out of the box on the Pocket Edge (I made apk backups of my apps on my N1, copied them onto the SD card of the Pocket Edge and voila, I had most of my favorite apps :)

I would be specifically interested in knowing how to access the e-ink screen programatically. Seems that the current apps focus mostly on the LCD screen.
    Just rooted mine. :) It was super easy. I downloaded the z4root app from the Amazon App Store and clicked Permanent Root. Et voila!

Now to install AdFree Android and Ti Backup. They make Android life so much easier.

I just ordered one of these yesterday after finding out my friends girlfriend has one. She let me play with it for awhile and man I can see the potential for this device. I can't wait to get mine so I can start tweaking with it.

I'm actually working on a custom ROM for my HTC Hero CDMA but I might put that on hold once I get this and see what type of development I can pull off with it. I hope more people chime in this thread so we can attract attention to developers and perhaps get some custom roms/apps/themes for our PE.

Regards,

rast4man