Will current Verizon galaxy nexus ROMS work on Sprint galaxy nexus?

Search This thread

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
They would have the same CDMA bands but different LTE bands. In principle the ROMs *should* be compatible because LTE is the same technology on either band, all other things being equal (and they never are). And judging by the posts on the topic, they aren't.

It could be that there is a different antenna design as the LTE frequencies are quite unlike each other.

I wonder if a Verizon LTE SIM in a Sprint GNex or vice-versa would still be able to access the respective CDMA networks, assuming the slot is unlocked/unlockable? I know the CDMA subscriber identity is stored on the SIM for LTE devices, but again the software could be designed to avert that.

umerien

Apr 18, 2012
From what I read on another forum that just rooting nexus with I believe fastbootloader people are unable to send text messages and in other cases are unable to register for Google wallet...so I don't know I rather not Verizon method just now and wait till some legit sprint drivers come out...also I am a noob about all this

sent from my sprint gnex using xda

farmer312

Dec 31, 2010
I don't have any knowledge. Just noticing that some other people don't have the knowledge that they think they have that's all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
I don't have any knowledge. Just noticing that some other people don't have the knowledge that they think they have that's all.

What an oxymoron.

"I don't have any knowledge"

"Just noticing that some other people don't have the knowledge that they think they have that's all."

You have no clue on why the roms do not work, and yet you have enough clue to know what others are saying is wrong?

You are talking out of place. For starters, a lot of what was said in this thread was before anyone had a device to test. It was THEORIZED.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
They would have the same CDMA bands but different LTE bands. In principle the ROMs *should* be compatible because LTE is the same technology on either band, all other things being equal (and they never are). And judging by the posts on the topic, they aren't.

It could be that there is a different antenna design as the LTE frequencies are quite unlike each other.

I wonder if a Verizon LTE SIM in a Sprint GNex or vice-versa would still be able to access the respective CDMA networks, assuming the slot is unlocked/unlockable? I know the CDMA subscriber identity is stored on the SIM for LTE devices, but again the software could be designed to avert that.

The Sprint Nexus has an embedded sim. There shall be no swapping of sims ;)

farmer312

Dec 31, 2010
Sorry adrynalyne I wasn't trying to be an ass. And the reason for the oxymoron was to say I'm not going to pretend to know something that I don't. A lot of theories didn't start with "I believe" or "I think". I could care less one way or another if the roms worked out or not, eventually you guys will be putting out some kick ass **** for me to get my grimy little hands on.

mick3444

Jan 9, 2012
San Francisco, Ca
so has anybody found a way to modify a verizon rom to work with a sprint galaxy nexus easilly? It seems as if it would be fairly simple, but maybe not? Would flashing a verizon rom and replacing the radios with sprint phones make it work?

msedek

Apr 3, 2012
Santiago de chile
so has anybody found a way to modify a verizon rom to work with a sprint galaxy nexus easilly? It seems as if it would be fairly simple, but maybe not? Would flashing a verizon rom and replacing the radios with sprint phones make it work?

ROMs doesn't touch baseband, unlike official Google image, so in theory, you could flash any rom out there, cdma based.. No matters what the carrier is..

But I guess only sprint users can tell us?.. They just need to do a Nandroid and then try what ever...

If nothing works.. Just restore your Nandroid and thats it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:

mick3444

Jan 9, 2012
San Francisco, Ca
ROMs doesn't touch baseband, unlike official Google image, so in theory, you could flash any rom out there, cdma based.. No matters what the carrier is..

But I guess only sprint users can tell us?.. They just need to do a Nandroid and then try what ever...

If nothing works.. Just restore your Nandroid and thats it

They do flash however calling doesnt work

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus CDMA using XDA

coolqf

Sep 7, 2007
Istanbul
I just ordered my sprint galaxy nexus and I'm curious as to whether current cdma ROMS (cooked for the Verizon galaxy nexus) will work as is our will need to be ported?

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Most things will work. Texting wont work. You'd have to fix the coding in an xml file and maybe also the build.prop file.
LTE will not work. Presently, while both chips are LTE, they do not support all the bands. So, Sprint's LTE chip doesn't support Verizon's LTE band and vice versa. It's a technology hardware limitation that should be fixed in future chip revisions. Sprint apps like Sprint TV also wont work. This can be resolved by updating some simple files.

What I would say to you, if you don't use Sprint apps, like Sprint TV, use google voice for texting/voicemail, don't need google wallet, or LTE, then you're more than fine to try Verizon ROMs.

Reactions: Neo3D

mick3444

Jan 9, 2012
San Francisco, Ca
Most things will work. Texting wont work. You'd have to fix the coding in an xml file and maybe also the build.prop file.
LTE will not work. Presently, while both chips are LTE, they do not support all the bands. So, Sprint's LTE chip doesn't support Verizon's LTE band and vice versa. It's a technology hardware limitation that should be fixed in future chip revisions. Sprint apps like Sprint TV also wont work. This can be resolved by updating some simple files.

What I would say to you, if you don't use Sprint apps, like Sprint TV, use google voice for texting/voicemail, don't need google wallet, or LTE, then you're more than fine to try Verizon ROMs.

Do you know which xml file and how to edit to get data/voice services working?

ÜBER™

Recognized Themer
Nov 9, 2011
Texas
Any updates on this? I see on the AOKP site that there is no love for the SGNex:

http://aokp.co/index.php/releases/_/milestone-5-r20

If someone who knows this **** really well could do a how-to write up, I'm sure it would be stickied for the community's use!

They have an unofficial milestone 5 for our gnex on our development forum. But aokp has been supporting it since b36 I think... anyways the latest builds have toroplus support.

http://aokp.co/index.php/releases/_/build-40-r26
4670271d-47b7-9513.jpg

Sent From My Sprint Galaxy Nexus

project.self

Sep 5, 2011
Greenville
Sorry adrynalyne I wasn't trying to be an ass. And the reason for the oxymoron was to say I'm not going to pretend to know something that I don't. A lot of theories didn't start with "I believe" or "I think". I could care less one way or another if the roms worked out or not, eventually you guys will be putting out some kick ass **** for me to get my grimy little hands on.

I'm just passing through this topic, but then why say "wrong, wrong..........wrong"? It's nice to have opinions and discussions about what could and probably won't be.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just ordered my sprint galaxy nexus and I'm curious as to whether current cdma ROMS (cooked for the Verizon galaxy nexus) will work as is our will need to be ported?