Why am i getting the stat_notify_sim_toolkit notification icon?

Search This thread

droiduser

Jul 15, 2009
I always have the stat_notify_sim_toolkit notification icon coming up and cant get rid of it, any one have any ideas?
Itsa new HTC Magic/Saphire with 1.5
I was using it for a week with a different SIM and never got that icon (looks like a Simcard with a small cog wheel to the bottom right)
then a day after using the new sim it started appearing and there seems to be no way to get rid of it?
Everything works perfectly on the phone, calls, sms, txt, mms, 3g data etc

I notificated after a few resets the icon only appears after I set an APN (was using it for a while after a reset on wifi and never got any notication icon coming up, but as soon as I set a APN to use 3g data it appeared??)

Any ideas? Its just a Blank button in the dropdown notification listing with the icon in it as well as the icon being in the bar up the top

oh and I also tried redoing a new rom with root onto it (complete standard HTC ROM + Root, its a 288meg HTC version) and even that diodnt get rid of it (after settings the APN of course)

njakobs

Nov 17, 2007
Wellington
I always have the stat_notify_sim_toolkit notification icon coming up and cant get rid of it, any one have any ideas?
Itsa new HTC Magic/Saphire with 1.5
I was using it for a week with a different SIM and never got that icon (looks like a Simcard with a small cog wheel to the bottom right)
then a day after using the new sim it started appearing and there seems to be no way to get rid of it?
Everything works perfectly on the phone, calls, sms, txt, mms, 3g data etc

I notificated after a few resets the icon only appears after I set an APN (was using it for a while after a reset on wifi and never got any notication icon coming up, but as soon as I set a APN to use 3g data it appeared??)

Any ideas? Its just a Blank button in the dropdown notification listing with the icon in it as well as the icon being in the bar up the top

oh and I also tried redoing a new rom with root onto it (complete standard HTC ROM + Root, its a 288meg HTC version) and even that diodnt get rid of it (after settings the APN of course)

I am having exactly the same problem. With a Vodafone Magic. I flashed a to a hero rom. So had to re enter my APN's, since then I have been getting the notification icon with no way to get rid of it. My apn's work get data, mms etc. Haven't come up with a solution yet, will keep working on it.

Cheers

droiduser

Jul 15, 2009
havnt tried another SIM after getting the problem yet (will have to beg someone to let me put their sim into my phone first)
Looks like another bug with android....

I had this sim in the phone for a couple of days with no notification icon, then removed the sim added some emergency contacts onto the SIM using a normal cell (which has the really fancy function of being able to edit sim contacts! unlike Android) then a a while later after being back in the HTC the notification icon came up...
Anything todo with having contacts on the SIM? Is android trying to read the contacts and having a problem of some sort perhaps?

Maybe a Vodafone New Zealand SIM thing as njakobs in on the same network im guessing? (oh had another SIM in there when i first got the phone that didnt have the issue but its a SIM from about 5 years ago, so maybe a new sim contact thing?)

Last edited:

droiduser

Jul 15, 2009
I found a solution!! Finally

Went to setting>applications>manage applications> SIM Toolkit
Then under that select Force Stop button

after that the sim comes back into action shortly and the notification icon also disappears!
even after a poweroff/poweron remove battery and all.. it doesnt come back :)

Funny problem, wonder what the force stop does to stop the notification icon coming back?

njakobs

Nov 17, 2007
Wellington
I found a solution!! Finally

Went to setting>applications>manage applications> SIM Toolkit
Then under that select Force Stop button

after that the sim comes back into action shortly and the notification icon also disappears!
even after a poweroff/poweron remove battery and all.. it doesnt come back :)

Funny problem, wonder what the force stop does to stop the notification icon coming back?

LOL sweet that does work.

Cheers

droiduser

Jul 15, 2009
Sorry to say it doesnt work, it worked for me for about 8 hours, then when I woke in the morning the icon had come back again :(

Back to the start again...

Has your one come back after a few hours??

njakobs

Nov 17, 2007
Wellington
Sorry to say it doesnt work, it worked for me for about 8 hours, then when I woke in the morning the icon had come back again :(

Back to the start again...

Has your one come back after a few hours??

Ok after using lots of different roms etc the problem is HTC Sim Toolkit just doesn't like NZ sims for some reason.

Some of the roms allowed me to just uninstall the app. Sweet problem fixed.

However in some it is protected and in the system folder to so can't be easily uninstalled. So this is what you have to do.

Using the Android SDK

Connect your device via USB cable

Start the command shell and navigate to tools folder of the android sdk, then

Code:
adb remount
adb shell
cd system
cd app
ls

Don't close the command shell yet.

This prints out a list of the obex and apk files in your system

The one we are looking for is 'Stk.apk', if it is there then lets nuke it.

Code:
rm /system/app/Stk.apk
sync
reboot

Make sure the 'case' is right as it is case sensitive.

Now you have NO MORE real really really annoying Sim Toolkit notifications that you can't get rid of.

Cheers