Votes: 25 34.7%
  • Stock

Votes: 13 18.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

BirchBarlow

Oct 6, 2013
Philadelphia
I've read a lot of posts on here saying ART is lot faster than the stock Dalvik VM, which I have experienced first-hand. I've also read a lot of posts saying that the Qualcomm-optimized Dalvik and Bionic libraries are faster than the stock Dalvik VM. What I have yet to see, however, is a direct comparison between ART and the Qualcomm-optimized libraries, at least for the Nexus 5. For those who have tried both, which do you find to be faster? Are there any downsides to the Qualcomm-optimized libraries over ART? Which is more popular?

Reactions: xpsg
H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Hi,

The best is to try by yourself to have your own opinion based on your own apreciation and with your own setup... because these kind of threads, in my opinion, will turn in something... but wait and see...

Because you'll have to many different replies, you need to take also in consideration the different roms optimized or not (and all different settings like kernel, CPU settings, not to take in consideration here I agree but they are present still), and not with the Dalvik/Bionic flashable zips. For example Purity rom is alteady optimized about Dalvik and Bionic stuff, when I flash the patches it's only for bench because in general UI there is no difference.

But since you asked, for me ART seems smoother and more responsive compared to Dalvik runtime even with patches. Same thing with Dalvik without patches vs ART runtime.
But like I said I use a rom already optimized so for the comparison Dalvik runtime with and without patches, no difference expect in benchs (yes the optimizations are not the same).

I tested also Dalvik runtime with and without the patches on stock rom, maybe there is a little improvement here, but very little (placebo effect?). I tend to say yes there is a little something more with the patches with stock rom...

For some reasons I keep Dalvik runtime with patches, even if my feedback tends to give the point to ART runtime... :D

About the most popular... I don't think this will help you, it's not because one or the other is most popular that it will suit what you want for you... or even it will be the better (about what?) in general because most popular. It's really a subjective question.

Plus I think that in the different threads about ART, Dalvik runtime and the patches all has been said, just read a little.

Try and see, the best advice will come from you ;)

:)

EDIT: didn't see the poll with XDA app...

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda premium

Last edited:
H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

And? Bionic libs work with ART runtime, if you flash Dalvik/Bionic patches when you are using Dalvik runtime for example then you switch to ART runtime the Bionic libs are still used...

In general UI maybe you won't notice a difference between ART vs ART with Bionic patches but, also here, in benchs you will see the "improvement" (or the gain)...

After it depends of your goal, if it's bench you can compare both... maybe some users noticied also a difference between ART with and without Bionic in genetal UI, but I don't remember me.

But if you speak strictly and only about Dalvik libs, ok, but in general both Dalvik/Bionic patches are associated, mainly because before it was one zip so you had flashed both in the same time.

In any case I don't see the point to not compare saying it's not the same lib, in this case we can't compare Dalvik vs ART... it's not the same lib used too (libdvm.so vs libart.so)... :D

Last edited:

meangreenie

Mar 6, 2012
you'd have to recode a bunch of native coded apps in Java (dalvik) and run them side by side to compare bionic enhancements with art.. gee I wonder what would win? rr3 would rock written in Java I'm sure.

next cod on console.. fingers crossed they code it in java

Last edited:
H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Ah, ok...

But Bionic optimizations are about memory access to other libs (and other memory stuff ) so in any case with ART it "should" have an improvement in some apps or under some conditions, maybe.

Like I said in general UI maybe nothing but in bench you'll see a difference... and even if it's only in bench it counts as an improvement (and even if benchs blablabla...).

Last edited:

x8hsu

Jan 2, 2014
HsinChu
Iv tried many roms and I have to say that ART(with or without patch) is the most responsive even than Dalvik + patch. But whats the most important to me is that I felt ART drains less power thus sustaining more longer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've read a lot of posts on here saying ART is lot faster than the stock Dalvik VM, which I have experienced first-hand. I've also read a lot of posts saying that the Qualcomm-optimized Dalvik and Bionic libraries are faster than the stock Dalvik VM. What I have yet to see, however, is a direct comparison between ART and the Qualcomm-optimized libraries, at least for the Nexus 5. For those who have tried both, which do you find to be faster? Are there any downsides to the Qualcomm-optimized libraries over ART? Which is more popular?
    http://anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review/2

Scroll down to the bottom for comparisons and analysis using ART and Qualcomm optimized Dalvik.