Dead phone?

Search This thread

jay_xander

Aug 7, 2011
Toronto
I have a Sony Ericsson XPERIA Arc from Rogers network in Canada. It is rooted, and I had 2 OEM batteries.

All of a sudden both batteries stopped charging. It is not an issue with the micro-USB connection, as I have an independent charger for the batteries. They both will not charge at all. And this non-charging issue occurred at the same time for both batteries. The phone is dead, and I can not power it up, however, until the batteries ran out of power, the phone functioned normally. I can not understand why they both stopped charging at the same time, and don't want to pay a large amount of money to buy another battery just to test if that works. When I plug a charger into the phone without a battery, the red light is illuminated. It seems to be just the batteries.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jay_xander

Aug 7, 2011
Toronto
Hardware of the batteries? Or the hardware negatively affected the batteries? Both went at the same time. I ordered a non-OEM battery to test out.

motlanvamaimai

Nov 1, 2013
Hardware of the batteries? Or the hardware negatively affected the batteries? Both went at the same time. I ordered a non-OEM battery to test out.

Your problem can come from either your phone or the batteries. Two batteries went wrong at the same time, it may be just coincidence; in this situation, your batteries are the reason for all. But what if something made your batteries stop working, then it may be your phone.

jay_xander

Aug 7, 2011
Toronto
Yeah, I don't believe it's a coincidence. As it's an old phone, I'm not spending money to diagnose it. I just bought a Chinese battery for cheap off EBay and will test that out. Phone seemed to work no problem until all of a sudden it stopped charging. I even got a couple days left of use between both batteries before they both drained.

hootnath

Sep 2, 2011
Frisco
Yeah, I don't believe it's a coincidence. As it's an old phone, I'm not spending money to diagnose it. I just bought a Chinese battery for cheap off EBay and will test that out. Phone seemed to work no problem until all of a sudden it stopped charging. I even got a couple days left of use between both batteries before they both drained.

try these two crazy methods that work for me whenever that happens. i think its a kernel+oldbattery issue.

1) take your existing or a chinese charger and plug the phone with battery into the wall power. then, every two seconds turn it off and then back on like ten times. and then leave it like that for half an hour so it starts up. what this does is that it confuses the device's software+hardware mechanisms that disable the battery from charging. this also puts some power in the battery before the device's mechanisms kick in, so it can come above its minimum threshold allowed by the hardware for it to start formally charing.

2) do the same as above, but now, instead, connect it to a lenovo/ibm powerful laptop's usb port (that gives more power than most wall sockets i've used).

you can also try using external battery chargers that you can get for cheap off ebay.

nhc1995

May 9, 2013
Your hardware problem so if it's possible you should bring your phone and the batteries to repair service for checking.