Wow this is good to know. HTC one m8 is possible water proof.

Search This thread

themuffinman

Jan 3, 2008
I put mine HTC M8 into bowl with water completely for about a minute. Only thing I realized headphone icon showed up in notification bar. Also when I pulled out sd card was wet on edges . But SIM card was completely dry. Phone worked and played video under water about 2 inches down. After was taken out I just wiped it with paper towel and works perfectly..... DONT TRY IT! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE.

You got balls of steel my friend.

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Blackcircle

bentsh

Dec 9, 2013
Hershey
Mine is dead at the moment

My M8 go just a little wet, about as much as it would in the rain, and now the screen is not functioning. The screen won't turn on, but it appears that everything else is working. DEFINITLEY NOT WATERPROOF, OR EVEN RESISTANT!!!! As you may expect, I am very disappointed.

slimbrady

Oct 15, 2013
Boise
Motorola Edge +
OnePlus 8T
My M8 go just a little wet, about as much as it would in the rain, and now the screen is not functioning. The screen won't turn on, but it appears that everything else is working. DEFINITLEY NOT WATERPROOF, OR EVEN RESISTANT!!!! As you may expect, I am very disappointed.

Did you try hard resetting the phone by holding down the power button + volume up key for 15 secs? Could be just a software issue.

cruckus

Sep 12, 2010
Don't get this phone wet I got pulled into a pool over memorial day weekend and my phone was hosed. I had to do an insurance claim. My SIM card got fried and the phone will not turn on vibrate or anything after the device was turned off and in rice for two days. Just saying.

st1ngr4y

Jul 19, 2010
This phone not water resistant in the least. Had my phone in a plastic bag while kayaking and the bag leaked a very minuscule amount. Needless to say the phone did not survive. The screen was extremely distorted and washed out looking. Also the touch screen was very flaky. Take extreme caution while around water or any other liquids. I left my phone in silica gel pellets for a week. I assume by then the damage was already done though.

slimbrady

Oct 15, 2013
Boise
Motorola Edge +
OnePlus 8T
Don't get this phone wet I got pulled into a pool over memorial day weekend and my phone was hosed. I had to do an insurance claim. My SIM card got fried and the phone will not turn on vibrate or anything after the device was turned off and in rice for two days. Just saying.

This phone not water resistant in the least. Had my phone in a plastic bag while kayaking and the bag leaked a very minuscule amount. Needless to say the phone did not survive. The screen was extremely distorted and washed out looking. Also the touch screen was very flaky. Take extreme caution while around water or any other liquids. I left my phone in silica gel pellets for a week. I assume by then the damage was already done though.

With these 2 accounts VS the video and the other tests it would appear the phone is capable when the water is not accompanied by heavy pressure...dunking it in a bowl of water or sink of water is very little pressure on the seams etc where as getting plunged into a pool or kayaking both probably forced the water inside via pressure.

Completely understand why HTC does not claim the M8 is water resistant. =)

st1ngr4y

Jul 19, 2010
With these 2 accounts VS the video and the other tests it would appear the phone is capable when the water is not accompanied by heavy pressure...dunking it in a bowl of water or sink of water is very little pressure on the seams etc where as getting plunged into a pool or kayaking both probably forced the water inside via pressure.

Completely understand why HTC does not claim the M8 is water resistant. =)

Keep in mind I said very little water entered the plastic bag my phone was in. Which should have helped to off set or even negate the for of water seeping into the phone.

Are you sure the bowl wasn't filled with say alcohol rather than water?

slimbrady

Oct 15, 2013
Boise
Motorola Edge +
OnePlus 8T
Keep in mind I said very little water entered the plastic bag my phone was in. Which should have helped to off set or even negate the for of water seeping into the phone.

Are you sure the bowl wasn't filled with say alcohol rather than water?

I understand the amount was small but if a little pocket of water was sitting by one of the ports and then you were jostled by a rapid (or wave, whatever kind of kayaking you're doing^^) I could see that movement generating enough pressure on the bag (was all the air removed from it, i.e. vacuum sealed or ghetto vacuum sealed?) to push some water into the case, albeit a small amount.

For the sink test there's no way that's alcohol...we would see it clearly dropping in volume as it evaporates much, much faster than water does...and I think the guy that did his own test would know whether he was using a bowl full of water or a bowl full of Isopropyl - I would hope so anyway! =)

st1ngr4y

Jul 19, 2010
I understand the amount was small but if a little pocket of water was sitting by one of the ports and then you were jostled by a rapid (or wave, whatever kind of kayaking you're doing^^) I could see that movement generating enough pressure on the bag (was all the air removed from it, i.e. vacuum sealed or ghetto vacuum sealed?) to push some water into the case, albeit a small amount.

For the sink test there's no way that's alcohol...we would see it clearly dropping in volume as it evaporates much, much faster than water does...and I think the guy that did his own test would know whether he was using a bowl full of water or a bowl full of Isopropyl - I would hope so anyway! =)

Watching alcohol evaporate would probably be like watching grass grow lol. The boiling point for isopropyl alcohol is only ~18℃ less than water. ;)

But let's just say I'm clearly a skeptic and until HTC backs up said claims, I will be avoiding water with my phone like the plague.

drlzanej

Feb 23, 2011
If this device was actually water proof or even water resistant, wouldnt it be advertised as being so. Or possibly listed in the device specs, which its not on either account. Just kinda a common sense call here.....0_o,,,,

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
If this device was actually water proof or even water resistant, wouldnt it be advertised as being so. Or possibly listed in the device specs, which its not on either account. Just kinda a common sense call here.....0_o,,,,

I tend to agree. Samsung touts the S5 as being water-resistant and advertises that feature in their commercials, etc. I would hope that HTC would do the same, but they haven't, so I'm skeptical, too. I wouldn't want to find out, at least not intentionally:eek:

Sent from my HTC device

Last edited:
Reactions: drlzanej

slimbrady

Oct 15, 2013
Boise
Motorola Edge +
OnePlus 8T
Watching alcohol evaporate would probably be like watching grass grow lol. The boiling point for isopropyl alcohol is only ~18℃ less than water. ;)

But let's just say I'm clearly a skeptic and until HTC backs up said claims, I will be avoiding water with my phone like the plague.

ya well the sink test was at least 5+ hours time lapse i think? It wouldn't be too hard to notice.

I use 99% isopropyl all the time when changing heat sinks on a PC or any other cleaning related job having to do with electronics because it dries so fast....pretty much as soon as you've spread it out it's 2-3 seconds from disappearing. I've had a bowl next to me (while masked) and had it drop noticeably without me ever getting around to using it in the hour or two I was working...of course it was a small bowl but still...

Last edited:

ahecht

Oct 23, 2010
ya well the sink test was at least 5+ hours time lapse i think? It wouldn't be too hard to notice.

I use 99% isopropyl all the time when changing heat sinks on a PC or any other cleaning related job having to do with electronics because it dries so fast....pretty much as soon as you've spread it out it's 2-3 seconds from disappearing. I've had a bowl next to me (while masked) and had it drop noticeably without me ever getting around to using it in the hour or two I was working...of course it was a small bowl but still...

The video was clearly a doctored time lapse -- the phone kept moving in circles.

Bradh024

Jul 14, 2010
****holeville, OH

Hell, even if it is claimed waterproof doesn't really mean it is. Before the m8 I had the s4 with a lifeproof case and it was about as waterproof as my otterbox is right now, and I thought it would be nice to take my casio rock swimming last year, that was really a bad idea because that leaked also... Bottom line is unless I have $225 laying around for a replacement and another soff, none of my devices are going near water.

drlzanej

Feb 23, 2011
Hell, even if it is claimed waterproof doesn't really mean it is. Before the m8 I had the s4 with a lifeproof case and it was about as waterproof as my otterbox is right now, and I thought it would be nice to take my casio rock swimming last year, that was really a bad idea because that leaked also... Bottom line is unless I have $225 laying around for a replacement and another soff, none of my devices are going near water.

Definately +1, I dont even take mine in the bathroom with me lol.

Reactions: Bradh024

Jerry4050

Oct 9, 2014
Mine semi beer proof

I came from a club and place my phone half submerge in beer in a cup inside the cup of the cupholder of my car biaccident and was in panic mode. It was also in 1% battery I let it dry and put to charge the next day and the speakers are okay but I did notice it sound a bit crackling in some notification and music a bit so Im not sure if I want return mine back for a new one. I wish the next HTC Phone is as water resistance as the Sony Xperia Z2. I seen YouTube videos of the Sony Xperia dunked in Beer and survived perfectly.

ticklemepinks

Feb 26, 2008
idk, a couple of weeks ago my fone fell into abath tub full of water, i drove after it and it has been fine

Kraizk

Jul 30, 2011
American Canyon
The M* is not water proof or even certified water resistant. If anything the phone is designed so that if you have to briefly use it in the rain it wont break. It's great people have had luck not breaking their phones but this is not something you should ever rely on. Hell the GS5 (or 4? Whichever is current) isn't even water proof. its IP rating is based on water running over the phone at a specified pressure. Yes like a rainstorm. Please stop assuming phones are water proof.

drasticza

Jul 29, 2008
Maybe I got lucky

I had the dreaded drop of the phone in the toilet. Fortunately the toilet was clean.
It was only there for a couple seconds but I towel dried and couldn't even tell anything happen.

I did quickly turn off the phone and let it sit overnight to let it dry internally just in case.

Works like new.

I did have s simple slim case.
The case is tiny and doesn't offer much protection but it covers the sd card slot. Based on what I read maybe that helped.

Jonathanlc2005

Aug 15, 2007
its rain resistant. thats all. its IPx3.

wikipedia states
Spraying water Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect. Test duration: 5 minutes
Water volume: 0.7 litres per minute
Pressure: 80–100 kPa
the volume of a raindrop is 0.034 cm^3 to 1cm^3
its velocity is 9.8m/s^2
and the pressure of the raindrop (not including air pressure) is its mass/volume

so nothing to worry about. just make sure to dry it behind a window and let the sun evaporate it so it doesnt damage the speakers or ports.

**i am not responsible to any broken devices, i just put in my meteorological knowledge.**
http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-one-m8-waterproof-361910/

when it rains in S.FL then ill test it out and record it. if it breaks then AMEX has my back since i purchased this 2 weeks ago

i would advise though... dont be as confident in heavy blowing winds like superstorms and hurricanes

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts