[ROM] Thor Gapps Rom ( 13.3.2.4 )

Search This thread

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Hi,

here is a light custom rom for the Kindle Fire HDX 7", with all amazon apps and services removed and almost aosp (including google apps). I'll try to fix remaining bugs as soon as i have the time to !

Features:
  • All amazon apps removed
  • All amazon background services removed (including OTA update)
  • Google services added (play store, gmail, gallery...)
  • AOSP launcher and apps
  • Rooted

Bugs/Todo:
  • Gmail is crashing
  • Some settings menu not working -> use stock settings app
  • No camera app -> use any other camera app from the market

Installation:
  • Install/update SafeStrap
  • Create a rom slot
  • Flash/restore stock rom DATA to rom slot (optional, but restore partition if problems)
  • Flash thor-gapps-13.3.0.0-v2.zip if you are on firmware 13.3.0.0 or thor-gapps-13.3.2.4-v1.zip for firmware 13.3.2.4 ...

Download:

Changelog:
  • 13.3.2.4-v1
    • built from amazon update 13.3.2.4
    • IF YOUR FIRMWARE IS NOT 13.3.2.4 DON'T UPDATE OR USE THIS ROM
  • 13.3.0.0-v2
    • removed xposed dependency (all changes are done in aosp sources)
    • improve gapps which now include working Google+, Photos ...
    • fix contacts from aosp sources
    • fix brightness menu in aosp settings (SeekBar)
    • fix facebook installation (library error)
    • removed stock settings
    • disabled amazon activity extender (?!)
  • 13.3.0.0-v1
    • fixed DownloadManager (gmail, chrome...)
    • fixed launcher orientation silliness (thanks to CelticWebSolutions !)
    • added chrome and gmail app
    • added aosp settings compiled from sources (com.android.thorsettings)
    • fixed almost all settings when using aosp settings (still problems with SeekBar's like volume and brightness)
    • added aosp keyboard compiled from sources with landscape width fix (removed stock swype)
    • changed bootanimation to aosp one

Credits:
  • Hashcode
  • CelticWebSolutions
  • All of you for your support

Last edited:

tootone

Jul 5, 2010
Cool, as soon as I figure out how to get supersu on the hdx ill give this a try! Thanks for working on it!

bhsvault

Feb 10, 2011
South Bend
Hmmm looks like I might be the first one to try this out. I'm downloading now and I'll report back when it's finished.

Update: Installed the ROM and immediately hit the Play Store. Tried to add an existing Google account but it caused a reboot. Right now I'm stuck on the calculator since I have no nav buttons :p
Update 2: Tried to enable Wifi, got another reboot.

I'm going back to my stock ROM slot for now, being unable to use the Nav buttons makes this a bit difficult.

Last edited:

tootone

Jul 5, 2010
Installed and working perfectly. So far everything but gmail works, and works really well. thanks Cpasjuste.

bhsvault

Feb 10, 2011
South Bend
The problem can only comes from the data partition. Did you try to first restore your stock data partition then flash the zip ?

No I did it the other way around, and the data restore failed.I I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks. Good work by the way.

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

No I did it the other way around, and the data restore failed.I I'll give it a try and report back. Thanks. Good work by the way.

Just tried it. ( Restoring data, flashing the zip).

I can see my apps from my stock ROM so I know the data restore was successful. I'm still missing the nav bar and Play Store still results in a reboot.

EDIT: Just tried it a second time and it seems to be working.

Last edited:

stickstickly

May 23, 2010
So unlike your flashable zip for the stock firmware this ROM gets rid of the Amazon Video App correct. Amazon video has Prime Instant Video Offline Downloading and that is a killer feature for me. Anyway to sideload that stock APK and have it work?

Reactions: BuQQzz and davekaz

vdsno1

Nov 6, 2013
thanks

Thank you for making this rom! The only good rom each use gmail error alone!! Hopefully the next version will optimize system and fixes gmail thank you very much!

kschang

Dec 11, 2010
San Francisco, CA
So unlike your flashable zip for the stock firmware this ROM gets rid of the Amazon Video App correct. Amazon video has Prime Instant Video Offline Downloading and that is a killer feature for me. Anyway to sideload that stock APK and have it work?

It does say it removes ALL Amazon background services, so, Sideloading probably will not work, at least not enough for the app to recognize this as a Kindle.

murso74

Oct 30, 2010
i can't long press anything with this rom... it just flips the screen around. can't get to the apps settings either. also, games like shadowrun always are upside down.

Reactions: davekaz

gqukyo

Nov 9, 2009
i can't long press anything with this rom... it just flips the screen around. can't get to the apps settings either. also, games like shadowrun always are upside down.

I use Nova launcher and long press works fine. Hungry Shark Evo always starts upside down for me but I guess unlock rotation lock, get it right then relock and it's fine. It's a pain but works. Only that game does that to me so far. Not sure why...

trainriderben

Feb 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Soooo.... I installed and this was working OK, but random reboots. So I went ahead and wiped dalvik. Now I've got a bootloop. Is there a way to access safestrap?
***edit-fixed*** adb reboot got me into safestrap

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

kschang

Dec 11, 2010
San Francisco, CA

The screen flip only happens in landscape mode, not portrait.

Temporary work around is turn on the "lock orientation" in the notification area (left most button), then it won't flip.

A slightly better work around is smart-rotator app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.xdevelop.rotator_t&hl=en

Turn on fix orientation for the apps you want to "fix".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

here is a light custom rom for the Kindle Fire HDX 7", with all amazon apps and services removed and almost aosp (including google apps). I'll try to fix remaining bugs as soon as i have the time to !

Features:
    • All amazon apps removed
    • All amazon background services removed (including OTA update)
    • Google services added (play store, gmail, gallery...)
    • AOSP launcher and apps
    • Rooted

Bugs/Todo:
    • Gmail is crashing
    • Some settings menu not working -> use stock settings app
    • No camera app -> use any other camera app from the market

Installation:
    • Install/update SafeStrap
    • Create a rom slot
    • Flash/restore stock rom DATA to rom slot (optional, but restore partition if problems)
    • Flash thor-gapps-13.3.0.0-v2.zip if you are on firmware 13.3.0.0 or thor-gapps-13.3.2.4-v1.zip for firmware 13.3.2.4 ...

Download:

Changelog:
    • 13.3.2.4-v1
      • built from amazon update 13.3.2.4
      • IF YOUR FIRMWARE IS NOT 13.3.2.4 DON'T UPDATE OR USE THIS ROM
    • 13.3.0.0-v2
      • removed stock settings
    • 13.3.0.0-v1
      • fixed almost all settings when using aosp settings (still problems with SeekBar's like volume and brightness)
      • added aosp keyboard compiled from sources with landscape width fix (removed stock swype)

Credits:
    • Hashcode
    • CelticWebSolutions
    • All of you for your support

thor-gapps-rom-1 is uploading !

Here's the (good) news :

Else I did start to work on the new update. I think all is OK except I still use the old kernel and since the GPU driver has changed in the kernel there is no rendering.
    I think we could just flash the updated kernel to my modded (updated) ROM but I'm very anxious to do so.

Maybe if there is someone with a non updated spare device we could test together ? (Worst cases is device updated and non rootable or bricked).

My other side project for the HDXs is getting the device into a usasble fastboot state without having a usable OS. To me this is absolutely critical for future development. Its just too risky atm to randomly test flash kernels, etc.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    I did update the rom with some great changes ! Here is the (summary) changelog :

Version 2
    • removed stock settings
    New rom uploaded, be sure to read the installation procedure in first post as a few more steps are involved (xposed)