data
pastebin PgvewxzB

cache
pastebin P4Wqh1DV

boot
pastebin E3NeJP96

uk cache/recovery/log
pastebin uPLHxivA

Shows uk nst is just old us nst wi software update & new battery (lico vs mcnair)

uk nst manufacture date & mainboard sn is older than us nst from nov 2011

think cache/recovery/log shows b&n updating my uk nst from a 1.1 us nst

= b&n made too many nsts for us market, now they selling them here

= to update us nst to use uk store, think just need to replace factory/factory.zip on an old us nst wi factory/factory.zip from a uk nst & do factory restore

Reactions: bigstick

jeff_kz

Nov 4, 2012
to update us nst to use uk store, think just need to replace factory/factory.zip on an old us nst wi factory/factory.zip from a uk nst & do factory restore

I'm happy to test this out if anyone can point me towards a uk factory.zip

jeff_kz

Nov 4, 2012
I can confirm that flashing the uk factory.zip onto a us nook works just fine.

Last edited:

johnjtaylor

Jul 16, 2007
Anyone tried "downgrading"?

Hmmm, is the implication from this that it might be possible to "downgrade" to the US version of the software in order to root the device and gain the benefits of full access to android?
I don't know about the other UK owners, but I have no intention of ever buying a book from the Barnes and Noble web-site/store. I like the spelling of my books to be correct after all! :p

I might give this a go tonight and see where I get to.

John

johnjtaylor

Jul 16, 2007
Well that's pretty straightforward :) the language is called "English" after all!
<grins, ducks and runs>

John

johnjtaylor

Jul 16, 2007
Hmmm, is the implication from this that it might be possible to "downgrade" to the US version of the software in order to root the device and gain the benefits of full access to android?
I don't know about the other UK owners, but I have no intention of ever buying a book from the Barnes and Noble web-site/store. I like the spelling of my books to be correct after all! :p

I might give this a go tonight and see where I get to.

John

Curses, foiled again! The US nook glowlight has no downloadable firmware..... grrrr

bigstick

Nov 7, 2007
South Wales
I can confirm that flashing the uk factory.zip onto a us nook works just fine, however, I skipped the OOBE so I can't confirm that the registration process works.

I apologise if this is a stupid question, but can you (or anyone else) possibly point me in the direction of how to use this file?

I've done some research (including a search for 'nook simple touch factory.zip'), found out lots of stuff and downloaded lots of files, but I can't find any information on how to use this factory.zip file.

I did find that this is a standard folder/component of the Nook base installation, but how to use it with a stock firmware to effectively turn my US Nook into a 'UK Nook', I have no idea.

I would be really grateful for any help/information :)

jeff_kz

Nov 4, 2012
To change the system software, replace the old factory.zip on partiton 3 with the factory.zip from the desired platform and then repeatedly interrupt the boot sequence to force a system restore. You will have to re-root after the system restore.

Code:
adb shell mount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /tmp
adb push factory.zip /tmp/factory.zip
adb shell umount /tmp
adb reboot

As soon as the "Read Forever" screen is visible,
  1. Press and hold the power button until the screen briefly blanks white and then redraws the "Read Forever" screen
  2. Briefly release the power button and then go to step 1
Repeat the above two steps six times, finally allowing the system to boot without holding down the power button.

If you've done all the steps correctly, you'll see the system restore screen which will replace your system software with software in factory.zip

Last edited:

nookingtom

Nov 17, 2012
To change the system software, replace the old factory.zip on partiton 3 with the factory.zip from the desired platform and then repeatedly interrupt the boot sequence to force a system restore. You will have to re-root after the system restore.

Code:
adb shell mount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /tmp
adb push factory.zip /tmp/factory.zip
adb shell umount /tmp
adb reboot

As soon as the "Read Forever" screen is visible,
  1. Press and hold the power button until the screen briefly blanks white and then redraws the "Read Forever" screen
  2. Briefly release the power button and then go to step 1
Repeat the above two steps six times, finally allowing the system to boot without holding down the power button.

If you've done all the steps correctly, you'll see the system restore screen which will replace your system software with software in factory.zip

Thanks for the information.
Stupid question alert - the Nook has to be rooted before I do the above? If so, is there a guide? I rooted my old NST (non-glowlight) some time ago but I have since sold it. I now have a nice new shiny NST glowlight (US version) which I want to load the UK firmware onto.

Any pointers would be gratefully received.
Many thanks in advance.

rawos

Apr 22, 2011
Thanks for the information.
Stupid question alert - the Nook has to be rooted before I do the above? If so, is there a guide? I rooted my old NST (non-glowlight) some time ago but I have since sold it. I now have a nice new shiny NST glowlight (US version) which I want to load the UK firmware onto.

but what is the advantage to running a uk nook over a us? The US store is cheaper, i think, and if you do the conversion you can't register your nook anymore right?

domi.nos

Jan 5, 2011
Warszawa
So just to let you know... You can also apply that zip in CWM. It will not break your Nook Touch. It will not update propertly as well, it is somehow strange, so im making a factory reset now...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    diff 1.1 us nst from 2011 vs 1.2 uk nst from 2day

rootfs
    pastebin u4M1xRkJ

rom
    pastebin uWSAcZ6Y

factory
    pastebin XWnXjUeM

data
    pastebin PgvewxzB

cache
    pastebin P4Wqh1DV

boot
    pastebin E3NeJP96

uk cache/recovery/log
    pastebin uPLHxivA

Shows uk nst is just old us nst wi software update & new battery (lico vs mcnair)

uk nst manufacture date & mainboard sn is older than us nst from nov 2011

think cache/recovery/log shows b&n updating my uk nst from a 1.1 us nst

= b&n made too many nsts for us market, now they selling them here

= to update us nst to use uk store, think just need to replace factory/factory.zip on an old us nst wi factory/factory.zip from a uk nst & do factory restore
    can't post links, so http ge.tt forwardslash 4C0LRwQ forwardslash v forwardslash 0