[Q] SW2 not as waterproof as what it says it is, what should i do?

Search This thread

dc959

Nov 26, 2010
Melbourne
It was raining quite heavily in the weekend and I was wearing my SW2 and the charging cover was firmly pressed in as I always make sure it is after every time I charge it and it got a bit wet and seemed to be working fine during the weekend after it had gotten wet but today I noticed that the top half of the screen isn't responding pretty much at all and I can very very rarely pull down the notification bar or swipe the screen using the top half of the display but I am able to press the icons in that part. I also noticed the light sensor has little bubbles of moisture in it. Would I be able to claim it under warranty seeing it is meant to be IP57 and should have been able to be worn in the rain?

Penguwin

Nov 15, 2013
Just file a claim, don't give then any more details than they need.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'd probably try the 'ol bag of rice trick and then claim it on warranty if that didn't work :( . Hopefully they don't have any of those color changing moisture detecting indicators in there :confused:

Best of luck!

uh60james

Sep 29, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I'd probably try the 'ol bag of rice trick and then claim it on warranty if that didn't work :( . Hopefully they don't have any of those color changing moisture detecting indicators in there :confused:

Best of luck!

Even if they do have the indicators they advertise it as water resistant, I would assume as long you don't tell them you went scuba diving with it or something crazy like that you should be good to go. That said I have never had to file a warranty claim on a Sony product before so I have no idea how much of a hassle they may give somebody.

dc959

Nov 26, 2010
Melbourne
Even if they do have the indicators they advertise it as water resistant, I would assume as long you don't tell them you went scuba diving with it or something crazy like that you should be good to go. That said I have never had to file a warranty claim on a Sony product before so I have no idea how much of a hassle they may give somebody.

It did start working perfectly fine yesterday but today its suddenly become unusable where just sliding along the screen its stuttering because its picking up my finger on and off rapidly and the capacitive buttons underneath aren't responding as much as they should so I think ill just do a warranty claim saying I was walking home in the rain and didn't bother about covering the watch because it was meant to be water resistant so I assumed it would be fine seeing my phone isn't water resistant and I use that in the rain with no problems. The watch is only 4 months old so id expect them to replace it which if I get a new one I may just look into selling it new and getting google wear when they're released haha

Ryland Johnson

Feb 28, 2012
It was raining quite heavily in the weekend and I was wearing my SW2 and the charging cover was firmly pressed in as I always make sure it is after every time I charge it and it got a bit wet and seemed to be working fine during the weekend after it had gotten wet but today I noticed that the top half of the screen isn't responding pretty much at all and I can very very rarely pull down the notification bar or swipe the screen using the top half of the display but I am able to press the icons in that part. I also noticed the light sensor has little bubbles of moisture in it. Would I be able to claim it under warranty seeing it is meant to be IP57 and should have been able to be worn in the rain?

Just a small word of caution. Sony do not claim the watch to be water proof so don't use that term. The watch is water resistant only and then to a very low IP standard. IP57 is not very useful to a watch. Better than the Gear 1 though. I still maintain this is a major problem with a watch.

Good luck with your situation.

Ryland

supac

May 29, 2005
I shower, take it to jacuzzi and sauna for 3 months now, with no problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

JarlSX

May 4, 2009
Eindhoven
my watch fell apart after two months of wearing, not unlike others

also, TS is not the first to report water damage after a shower

it might be true only a small batch of watches was affected with this "glue problem", but i'm not taking any chancces when it comes to water, wearing this watch in the shower (or worse) is an accident waiting to happen....

marcosanchez

Aug 22, 2012
The same thing happened to me. I just pour some water to clean the watch when it was turned off yesterday. Today it begun not showing anything on screen and later its tactile display is no responding. Also, as some of you pointed, there is small drops of water in the light sensor.

I feel really disappointed...

Last edited: