[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for Vibrant (FINAL! SAFE!)

Search This thread

tmp_157

Apr 18, 2010
Simply OUTSTANDING!!
less than ten days after an official release and there is a two-minute root and a tearless recovery.

Stock Recovery failed to recoginize that update.zip was on /sdcard the first go around. Rebooted, ensured update.zip was actually there, followed the steps once again and it worked flawessly...even the ext3 on my external...

Rooted/ROM'ed/Ready to Go...

Premium Purchase x4 (Wifey's, two buddies at work, and mine)...thanks again for all the hard work and a community pushing forward and making progress

hah2110

Nov 11, 2008
Hmmm... So I hit "flash", select "Vibrant" and then "reboot into recovery". It reboots, says "replacing stock with koush..." but then boots into the stock recovery with only 4 options?

hah2110

Nov 11, 2008

robavila721

Jul 7, 2009
Laredo
Just bought Rom Manager Premium, Worked Flawlessly, eager to see what will come of this, let the insanity begin!!! Excellent Job Koush thanks for your time

Argusi

May 29, 2009
Central FL
Great work on this! I have a little problem. I'm not getting the su prompt and it won't install the recovery. I'm using the donate version. I verified su is still working by forgetting permissions for a file manager. When I started it, it asked for su and worked. I've reinstalled Rom Manager and it still doesn't prompt. Rebooted also and it's not in the su list. Anyone seeing this or have any ideas?

EDIT: Got it. Just selected boot into recovery and it asked. Good work!

Last edited:

The_Chrome_Coyote

Jul 15, 2006
Oh Hell yeah! Works perfectly. I can't wait to get some ROMs flashed.

From what I understand, some of the international ROM s will work, but the button mapping is different and they don't support all our network frequencies.

sent from my Samsung Vibrant

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First things first, if you flashed a previous version of Clockwork Recovery using Odin, FLASH BACK TO A STOCK KERNEL using this Odin package:
    http://koush.tandtgaming.com//test/kernel-vibrant-stock.tar.md5

This recovery is *very* safe to use. It does NOT flash your kernel; it is a completely uninvasive recovery method.

How it works: The recovery is packaged as an update.zip that you run from STOCK recovery. The update.zip unpacks Clockwork Recovery onto the ramdisk and restarts recovery. When you reboot, it reverts back to the original, unmodified, stock recovery. So, you will need to keep the recovery on the root of your SD card as an update.zip, and apply the zip every time you want to start Clockwork.

HOWEVER, if you use ROM Manager, all of the recovery installation and management instructions are done for you!

Installation instructions:
    1. Download ROM Manager from the Market.
    2. Flash Recovery.
    3. Choose Vibrant as your phone.
    4. Accept the Superuser prompt.
    5. On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
    6. Watch the backup go!

That's it! This is completely painless and safe! There is no need for Odin anymore to replace the recovery or flash updates!

If you appreciate my work, please buy the Premium version of ROM Manager!
    Fwiw, I was having the same problem, so after looking for forever I found this site, go there
    koush.tandtgaming.com/recoveries
    dl your .zip for the phone
    put it at the root of sdcard/
    rename to update.zip
    reboot in recovery mode
    reinstall packages...TWICE
    and thats what worked for me.
    how can i find out, i assume its 2e, this phone was never rooted or updated, been on 2.1 eclair all this time, and all i did was root it, now i need to install a custom recovery, or possibly install a custom ROM that will allow me to install rom manager to install a custom recovery, but that is more risky if it doesnt flash smoothly

There is an update.zip of cwr somewhere out there, give me a second and I will try to hunt it down for you, though technically you could just take the rom you want (assume that it is Touchwiz based or cm7, NO ICS) and name it update.zip.

http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager website
    http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.2-vibrant.zip direct link

rename it update.zip and flash
    Failed the first time. Left me in the stock recovery menu and gave a recovery error when clockwork first started. Flashed again and tried to backup a second time. Looks like it worked perfect! Now we need some froyo!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

Yes! That is expected! The very first boot WILL FAIL, the recovery needs a kick start to complete installation. :)
    OK, I'm posting here as a last resort. I searched through forum threads and searched google for half the day yesterday. Perhaps I'm missing something simple and you guys can help me out.

I rooted the stock 2.1 vibrant using z4root, purchased and installed ROM manager premium and flashed clockwork recovery (with the understanding that the update.zip stays on the SD card and I must reinstall package each time to enter it). All this seems to work fine.

The issue is that I cannot flash a new ROM (nero 5). i have tried installing through ROM manager and booting into Clockwork recovery and choosing to install .zip from SD card. The backup and data wipe process works but when it begins to install the ROM the process is aborted saying it cannot find the file. The .zip is in the root of the SD card and is not named "update".

I am able to create and install the blackhole 1.1 ROM using ROM manager which works fine. If I try to install any other update, I'm unable to restore a nandroid because I cannot load Clockwork recovery, even after selecting reinstall package. At this point I have to restore using Odin.

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it. If you need a screen shot of the error I can recreate it and post it.

Your problem is simple. When you go into cwr select install zip from sd card then choose zip from sd card. Navigate to the zip file with the volume rocker and select it with the power button. You're selecting apply sd card: update.zip. That won't work.
    edit: nero v5 zip file